Beware Booking with ORBITZ

theawesome1

Local folks have reported to the BBB, Ohio State A.G. & local news about $9.95 charge appearing on their credit card bills (all credit cards not just one). It is coded NMI & every month a $9.95 charge appears on their statement.

Turns out that Orbitz automatically signs you up to a Net agency for future cheap travel (hotels, cards, cruises, etc) and you pay the $9.95 monthly fee. Not one person knew they were signed up or even had the chance to refuse it.

All credit cards put thru credits to -0- them out. So if you use ORBITZ then tell them NO NMI!!!!!!

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

hi..when did this start? I have used them for airfare and never saw an extra charge...is it happening only when a cruise is booked? Or for any type of service?

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

I just booked hotel accomods. in Carmel for next month & nothing extra showed up on my CC stm't that I just got yesterday!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! We booked our next cruise with Orbitz, and I had not noticed any extra charges...but then I don't look at my statement as close as I should either! One more thing to watch out for booking through them - when we booked our cruise, our ocean view cabin was listed as a "suite". We immediately snapped it up, although we should have realized a suite would never be so inexpensive. We're still happy to be going on a cruise, but I can't help thinking that this was false advertising.

*Carnival Inspiration 3/02/03*

*Celebrity Century 10/30/04*

theawesome1,

Used Orbitz myself for a cruise last October. No problems, nor any 'mysterious' charges. I wonder if this is new. It seems if Orbitz wanted to maintain customer satisfaction, they would credit amounts back. Was there something in fine print that automatically signed you up for this?? If not , couldn't your credit card company handle it-while you refused to pay those charges? Pretty sneaky nonetheless!

TnT

I just booked thru Orbitz. I'll watch my statement. Thanks

Beachbum 789

Horizon 12/2004

Norwegian Dream 03/2004

Paradise 10/2002

Sensation 12/2001

Holiday 10/1992

Tropicale 10/1990

Carnivale 02/1989

Song of America 04/1985

Mardi Gras 10/1982

I ocassionally book hotels and rental cars through Orbitz... Thanks for the heads up!

Taters

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back!

Carnival Conquest, 9/2003

Island Princess, 12/2004

Here is the web site I was looking for:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/orbitz_mwi.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theawesome1:

Local folks have reported to the BBB, Ohio State A.G. & local news about $9.95 charge appearing on their credit card bills (all credit cards not just one). It is coded NMI & every month a $9.95 charge appears on their statement.

Turns out that Orbitz automatically signs you up to a Net agency for future cheap travel (hotels, cards, cruises, etc) and you pay the $9.95 monthly fee. Not one person knew they were signed up or even had the chance to refuse it.

All credit cards put thru credits to -0- them out. So if you use ORBITZ then tell them NO NMI!!!!!!

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

It does not happen automatically.

You have to click on the "$10 towards my next trip" button.

Then there is a VERY long user agreement that has the info hidden near the bottom, so nobody would ever read it. Then they send an email that you need to repond in order to cancel. (like the old long-distance service trick).

Very sneaky, but becoming VERY commonplace these days as more, and more companies tries to make money this way. Very Sad.

I personally only use Expedia, but my brother always uses Orbitz. The prices are usually the same, but I like Expedia because travel alerts come quickly, while they usually don't show up on Orbitz.... (which you would think would get them first!).

nick

Archived