"Must Have" items when cruising/travelling with kids

mom2two2

A couple different threads on the RCI board got me thinking about this in direct relation to travelling with kids. Let's all post a couple of our "great items" that we take with us when travelling/cruising with kids. Maybe we will all get some great ideas. I will start :

1. we always take a refillable sport type bottle and those iced tea and kool aid singles on vacation. they are great for keeping the kids hydrated and portable.

A bottle of liquid pain reliever for children. Many ship's gift shops don't carry it. I pack a mini first aid kit with a few days worth of every possible thing I can think of: anti-itch cream (random bug bites!), neosporin, heartburn meds, bandaids, tylonol for adults, ect.

Whether traveling with kids or not, a first aid kid is essential!!!

Have you ever tried to find or noted the prices of band aids, allergy, pain medicines or antibiotic ointments when traveling?! I have a kit that I made up myself, and it goes inside my toiletry bag every trip I take whether by car, plane, cruise, etc.

I discovered these before our last trip, because they are tablets they can come in our carry-on. (All cruises for us involve flights...) The tablets are meltaways, so no water needed.

Another critical item for us is the portable potty seat. DS2 doesn't like falling into public toilets lol!

My boys are 5 and 3 yrs.

I discovered these before our last trip' date=' because they are tablets they can come in our carry-on. (All cruises for us involve flights...) The tablets are meltaways, so no water needed.

Another critical item for us is the portable potty seat. DS2 doesn't like falling into public toilets lol!

My boys are 5 and 3 yrs.[/quote']

Actually medicines are exempt from the 3 oz rule. You just have to declare them before you go through security. DD's migraine meds are liquid and I have had no problems. I've also traveled with liquid tylenol, cough syrup and liquid pediacare when flying. They might "test" them but I've never had a problem.

I agree the first aid kit is a must! Mine includes all kids meds we might need, bandaids, hydrocortisone cream, neosporin, immodium and more bandaids!

I'd also toss in Sunscreen as a must have for traveling with kids.

Patience and a good sense of humor ;):D

--small container of dish washing liquid for bottles or sippy cups

--sippy cups or disposable type sippy cups for young children because there is a lot of glassware on ships (bad combo)

--ziplock bags for those still in diapers to zip up those diapers and throw them in the garbage can (not as stinky)

--favorite blanket/stuffed toys HOWEVER -- ** DO NOT FORGET TO PLACE THE PRIZED TOY/BLANKET IN THE CLOSET WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CABIN EVERY DAY** I have seen a couple friends' have children who have lost their blankies in the bed sheets because the cabin attendants thought they were rags. We always do a blankie check every morning before leaving the cabin to make sure the blanket is secure in the closet.

--you can never have enough long pants/long shirts -- even in the Caribbean, that air conditioning is COLD

--kids 4 and under - strollers -- I tried to keep mine strapped in as long as possible

--swim vest for the young ones. Some of the ship's pools are very deep and there are no other options for shallow pools.

--children's bonine - its hard to find, we've never needed it. But we always take it just in case

--car seats/boosters (some of you knew I would say that ;))

--room and door decorations (yes I go a little crazy with this stuff, but the kids like it)

--waterproof camera - priceless :D

For my kids, DS and iPod are essentials. I also like the iPod because it shows movies and is way more portable than a DVD player or laptop. My kids normally aren't "plugged in" kinds of kids, but when we travel it keeps them happy for hours on end. Especially since the DS's have wireless capabilities and they can play together.

I also bring ginger Altoids incase someone has an upset stomach, plenty of sunscreen and solarcaine (also big ticket items in the gift shop).

The right entertainment for plane, dinner, etc. If they ain't entertained it ain't a vacation!

A couple different threads on the RCI board got me thinking about this in direct relation to travelling with kids. Let's all post a couple of our "great items" that we take with us when travelling/cruising with kids. Maybe we will all get some great ideas. I will start :

1. we always take a refillable sport type bottle and those iced tea and kool aid singles on vacation. they are great for keeping the kids hydrated and portable.

One of the reusable shopping bags to put "important" things in. I bring one for each kid. This way they can either hang it up or put on their bed etc, but they don't end up dropping their things all over the room.

They put stuffies, ipods, etc in their bag and it is "put away".

They pack little suitcases for travelling but I find the bags a bit more practical in the room. (not as bulky).

As for actual things...

I completely agree with the first aid.

Also, sand toys. My kids are now 8 and 10 and we still always pack a couple of pails and shovels. It is amazing how popular they are on the beach when they arrive with beach toys. I pick them up at the dollar store then it doesn't matter if we bring them home.

Over the door shoe holder for all the little random things you have. Sippys, ipods, cameras, sunscreen, camp carnival/kids club stuff, etc.

iTouch

Sand toys

sweaters

outfits packed in zip lock baggies to stuff in bag on excursions, etc. The zip locks can also be used for dirty diapers.

bag with liquid motrin, bandaids, benedryl, kids motion sickness stuff, kids pepto. Just in case.

Lots of sunscreen

low expectations and a game plan in case they don't want to use the kids clubs.

Obviously I have younger kids (4 and 2), but I felt the more that I brought for them, the easier it was. It's the opposite for the adults!

--ziplock bags for those still in diapers to zip up those diapers and throw them in the garbage can (not as stinky)

We always save the bags our local newpapers are delivered in. I use these bags to pack all liquids (sunscreen, shampoo, medicine, etc) when travelling. When the kids were in diapers these also doubled as diaper disposal bags. 1 diaper in the bottom of the bag and knot the plastic. On one trip to Scotland our host certainly appreciated the effort and I could get 3 diapers in each newspaper bag.

I still save the bags and use when travelling. The kids now "stuff" the bags with their treasures. We also travel with DSs and a portable DVD player which helps getting to the destination.

HTH

Gail

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=1of4&date=8-24-2011&text=Heading to Alaska!&ship=Volendam

sjcruiser,

I am with you on the first aid kit. My associates I travel with call me travel mom cause I always have what they need in my travel first aid kit.

I purchase everything I can think of in blister pack form. Rolaids, Imodium, Benadryl, etc. I remove everything from the box and cut the directions out. then I sort filed everything with the directions in front and stuck some band aids, mole skin, Neosporin and anti itch cream in. I also purchased one of those little sewing kits from WalMart, I think it was around a dollar. It all fits in a nice little small cosmetics back I leave in my toiletries bag.

I guess now that my son is cruising with us I need to make one for children. I should have done it a long time ago.

--favorite blanket/stuffed toys HOWEVER -- ** DO NOT FORGET TO PLACE THE PRIZED TOY/BLANKET IN THE CLOSET WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CABIN EVERY DAY** I have seen a couple friends' have children who have lost their blankies in the bed sheets because the cabin attendants thought they were rags. We always do a blankie check every morning before leaving the cabin to make sure the blanket is secure in the closet.

Someone just got back from Mariner and must have missed reading our tips on the Family Board. See, it's bad for your vacation not to read the advice on the family board. ;)

* The stateroom attendant threw out our child's blanket with the towels. She never apologized...said it couldn't have been her. We talked to guest relations...after 3 days of trying to talk with the laundry...they got frustrated that "they only speak Chinese down there and so we don't know what to do."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1322043

I totally agree with this, favourite toy/blankie is absolutely essential!

The other thing I try to do (rather than bring) is actually pre-cruise: we have those small, children's rolling suitcases. From the first cruise we took the kids on I always made sure I got them involved in packing their own bags. Not only did they feel really involved in the whole process, but I believe it also taught them a bit of a lesson about taking only what you really need and learning to leave behind the non-essentials. We would be coming home after all and those other items would still be waiting for them where they left them.

Like others have said, grandparents! I will not go on a cruise with my kids (ages 1 and 3) unless at least one set comes along. Unfortunately, that's not possible for everyone. Maybe they should start some sort of "rent a grandparent" program for cruising.

Good umbrella strollers are also a must. They nap in them, we use them as "high chairs" for eating in the room or aroud the ship, we stroll with them around the Ship, and take them on excursions.

Finally, for younger children, I cannot give any higher recommendation than for the Bjorn Travel Crib. It's expensive, but it's a million times better than a pack-n-play. My kids actually sleep in it as well as (or even better than) in their own cribs. It's so easy to set up and take apart that we actually did that every morning and night on our cruises (which we never could do with a pack n play). I wish it had been around when my son, now 3.5, was an infant. And it's easy to carry in its own case, and super light. Pretty much ideal in every way. Now that I've used it on a few cruises, I can't imagine going on one with someone under 2 and not having it.

We brought our own sand toys. Wal-mart had them in a mesh bag for $5.00. Near the end of the cruise we passed them on to another family.

I also like the aloe with lanicane. Even for just the tender spots it helps relieve the discomfort.

We also bring water proof laundry sacs that velcro close for those last minute trips to the pool and there is not enough time for the suits to completely dry.

I also agree with an umbrella stroller. It transports tired kids, holds souvenir bags, and gives everyone a place to hold on to;) Even if you think you may not use it, if your kid fits in it, it can probably still come in handy.

. . .

I also bring ginger Altoids incase someone has an upset stomach, plenty of sunscreen and solarcaine (also big ticket items in the gift shop).

I have never seen these, where do you get them?

World Market usually carries them in their international food section. If you are in the upper midwest Woodmans has them (they have EVERYTHING!)

The Gingerpeople (gingerpeople.com) makes a variety of ginger products including candies. I can find these generally at WorldMarket or TJ Maxx/Homegoods. Also if you are near a Penzy's or SpiceHouse - try the minced candied ginger.

My DD doesn't have issues on the ship, but does on tenders -- so we also try to sit near the back.

Other hints (mainly for older kids):

• if traveling during the school year - photocopy the pages of the text books your kids may need. Texts are HEAVY and expensive. (We found a high school algebra book in the seat pocket of our airplane from NY to Rome -- often wonder if it got back to the student!)
    Also remember the supplies your student might need -- DD turned in her five page social studies essay entirely on the room stationary of the Marriott Wikiki
    You can download nice graphing calculator and foreign language dictionaries to their iPods to avoid lugging extra books.
  • have your kids download some audio books to their iPods (my DD goes through books quickly while on planes, trains, buses and other waiting places) - the audio books are also a lot lighter than their paper counterparts. If you have a nook or kindle, download some books your kid wants to read.
  • Don't forget to buy some snackage while in port. DD and her friends like to hit one of the cabins and watch in cabin movies together one or two evenings of the cruise. Room service pizza is nice, but most teens really want chips and other stuff not really available. Plus it keeps them from wandering away from the room to get snacks.

Archived