looks as if the Dream is finished

She did one of those handbreak turn things doubling back on herself. Either they are practising man overboard drills etc etc or there is a screw loose somewhere :eek:

Here is a trace of here path from last night.tdmap.gif

Hope the Dream makes it - my brother boards it tomorrow - he thinks it's 18.00 sailing. Being taken from Manchester by coach - organised by Thompson - so he should be ok - I hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomson's organisation is pretty good once you set off - it's the communications/admin prior to travel which sometimes causes us problems! :confused: But weather permitting - we've had a LOT of snow in some parts of the UK but I think Manchester is ok at the moment - I'm sure he'll have a great time.

We're going to have a peep at her tomorrow - no doubt we'll see lots of smiling faces as everyone is boarding. :) Hope it's a good one for all sailing tomorrow.

Thomson's organisation is pretty good once you set off - it's the communications/admin prior to travel which sometimes causes us problems! :confused: But weather permitting - we've had a LOT of snow in some parts of the UK but I think Manchester is ok at the moment - I'm sure he'll have a great time.

We're going to have a peep at her tomorrow - no doubt we'll see lots of smiling faces as everyone is boarding. :) Hope it's a good one for all sailing tomorrow.

We'll keep a lookout for you if you are around the Mayflower park area at Southampton at 1800

Kev

We'll keep a lookout for you if you are around the Mayflower park area at Southampton at 1800

Kev

Would have loved to say 'Hello' but sadly we won't be there to see the sail-a-way. We'll be there earlier in the day but will be back home by then. If you see two old biddies taking an inordinate interest in the Dream and taking loads of photos - but not boarding :( that will be us!!!! Probably end up on the top floor of John Lewis (restaurant) too in the hope of some decent views!

She looked good berthed in Southampton today - and quite a bit bigger than C & S (stating the obvious). We saw some passengers being directed to a Thomson coach at the rail station mid-afternoon. I was quite envious but having heard the forecast, like you Linda, I wouldn't be fancying the Bay of Biscay!! :eek:

It's very calm on the south coast at the moment so she should be OK at least for now - hopefully it's not the lull before the storm! I gave the horizon a wave about 7pm - thinking she might have just about cleared the IoW by then. :o

She looked good berthed in Southampton today - and quite a bit bigger than C & S (stating the obvious). We saw some passengers being directed to a Thomson coach at the rail station mid-afternoon. I was quite envious but having heard the forecast, like you Linda, I wouldn't be fancying the Bay of Biscay!! :eek:

It's very calm on the south coast at the moment so she should be OK at least for now - hopefully it's not the lull before the storm! I gave the horizon a wave about 7pm - thinking she might have just about cleared the IoW by then. :o

Actually, when we were on the IOTS last month, it was not the B of B that was the problem, it was after that. Luckily the IOTS is BIG, so not too bad. Funnily enough they were asking questions about the shipping forecast areas this afternoon on TV and OH said he had not heard of Trafalgar. So I looked it up

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Fitzroy

and realized that is where we had the problems:eek:

Actually, when we were on the IOTS last month, it was not the B of B that was the problem, it was after that. Luckily the IOTS is BIG, so not too bad. Funnily enough they were asking questions about the shipping forecast areas this afternoon on TV and OH said he had not heard of Trafalgar. So I looked it up

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Fitzroy

and realized that is where we had the problems:eek:

It looks a bit choppy out there today! Wave height up to 25 feet! :eek:

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

I tried to copy the image and paste - but that didn't work so have posted the link.

How do you do get the actual image into your post RR and Kev?

And did you manage to get down to Southampton on Wednesday, Kev? Did you get close - and what news/impressions?

And did you manage to get down to Southampton on Wednesday, Kev? Did you get close - and what news/impressions?

Hi Kruzseeka

Unfortunately I had to watch the ship move out from Southampton on the IAS map from a laptop whilst drinking whiskey,honey and lemon. I went down with a bad dose of flu! So frustrating. Martin Gill and Keith (other members of my party) did travel to Southampton and watched her go. She was about 10 mins late leaving then she toddled off for over half an hour in the wrong direction before she turned. So she returned to pass by Mayflower Park nearly 50 mins after she left. Martin took pics but has not sent them to me yet. I will post when I get them.

They said she looked huge, and very impressive the way she was lit up. Gill commented that 3 of the bulbs in her rigging were out!!!! :D

(I shouldn't thnik anyone would be too bothered about shinning up her pole to replace them on the cold night that it was!)

To get the picture up, it would probably be best to contact me directly via my website www.dysongs.com but I'll try to put some instructions here, although the CruiseCritic moderator may take my post down like he did before when I tried to help someone.

To get a picture onto this message board you have to click the picture icon on the tool bar of the editor window. The icon looks like a mountain on a light yellow background.

(You may get a warning bar (buff coloured) at the top of your browser.

If you do, then decide if you want to continue by clicking on the bar. You will have to click on the picture icon again to restart the add-picture process):(

You then copy and paste the web address (called the URL) of the picture into the field. You can find the webaddress of a picture by right clicking the picture where it is displayed on the internet, then click Properties. You'll see the full web adress half way down which you can copy (highlight then hold down Ctrl and press C)

Once done, this will allow your post to display the picture from what ever web address you have entered.

If you want to put your own picture into your post, you will need to upload it to some webspace (which you may already own) and then follow the same proceedure but substituting your own URL

If there is an active picture - like on a webcam, you can take a snapshot of your whole screen by simply pressing the Print Screen button which if you look carefully can be found top right of your keyboard.

Once you have pressed this, you can paste the screen print you have taken into an application like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, crop it and resize it, then upload it to your webspace. Then, as before add the picture's URL to your post by clicking on the Picture icon

This probably sounds very difficult:eek: but it is actually very easy. Contact me if you want further help.

Hi Kruzseeka

Unfortunately I had to watch the ship move out from Southampton on the IAS map from a laptop whilst drinking whiskey,honey and lemon. I went down with a bad dose of flu! So frustrating. Martin Gill and Keith (other members of my party) did travel to Southampton and watched her go. She was about 10 mins late leaving then she toddled off for over half an hour in the wrong direction before she turned. So she returned to pass by Mayflower Park nearly 50 mins after she left. Martin took pics but has not sent them to me yet. I will post when I get them.

They said she looked huge, and very impressive the way she was lit up. Gill commented that 3 of the bulbs in her rigging were out!!!! :D

(I shouldn't thnik anyone would be too bothered about shinning up her pole to replace them on the cold night that it was!)

To get the picture up, it would probably be best to contact me directly via my website www.dysongs.com but I'll try to put some instructions here, although the CruiseCritic moderator may take my post down like he did before when I tried to help someone.

To get a picture onto this message board you have to click the picture icon on the tool bar of the editor window. The icon looks like a mountain on a light yellow background.

(You may get a warning bar (buff coloured) at the top of your browser.

If you do, then decide if you want to continue by clicking on the bar. You will have to click on the picture icon again to restart the add-picture process):(

You then copy and paste the web address (called the URL) of the picture

into the field. You can find the webaddress of a picture by right clicking the picture where it is displayed on the internet, then click Properties. You'll see the full web adress half way down which you can copy (highlight then hold down Ctrl and press C)

Once done, this will allow your post to display the picture from what ever web address you have entered.

If you want to put your own picture into your post, you will need to upload it to some webspace (which you may already own) and then follow the same proceedure but substituting your own URL

If there is an active picture - like on a webcam, you can take a snapshot of your whole screen by simply pressing the Print Screen button which if you look carefully can be found top right of your keyboard.

Once you have pressed this, you can paste the screen print you have taken into an application like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, crop it and resize it, then upload it to your webspace. Then, as before add the picture's URL to your post by clicking on the Picture icon

This probably sounds very difficult :eek: but it is actually very easy. Contact me if you want further help.

Brill - thanks for that I'll give it a go (may have to enlist the help of DH - tho I hate to admit it!!!!!). Copied the instructions to a Word document just in case! ;)

Sorry you missed the sail away - it was a bitterly cold day. We went to the top floor of the IKEA car park to get the best view around short of walking to the quay.

It felt quite strange thinking about the next time we'll see her - all being well. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer!!!!! I'll report back and give you our impressions and if there's anything in particular you'd like me to check out for you, let me know.

Hope you are now feeling better. :)

Hi Kruzseeka,

Are you going on the Dream in the Caribbean? When are you going?

Jan - Caribbean Experience. Really looking forward to it as we've only been once before (Destiny) but these are all new ports except one so it will be good to explore somewhere different although I would happily do the Destiny itineraries again - they were great. Anyway, it's got to be warmer than here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

When do you go Linda? Do we coincide at any of the ports?

Jan - Caribbean Experience. Really looking forward to it as we've only been once before (Destiny) but these are all new ports except one so it will be good to explore somewhere different although I would happily do the Destiny itineraries again - they were great. Anyway, it's got to be warmer than here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We don't go until 17th Feb, so you will be back by then:( Going for my birthday on 26th. We did look at Caribbean Experience for 24th Feb, but decided on Braemar as we liked it so much. We would consider the Dream again, when we see what the refit has done to her. She is a nice ship, just needed doing up before they took on Passengers! But that is all old hat now. :D I'm sure she is fine now. One thing about her, the cabins were BIG. I haven't been on the Destiny, but they look quite small in the videos Ihave seen.

The other thing about the one we are doing is you have a whole day in Barbados before you sail. Then we are going to Curacao,Aruba, Ocho Rios, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Havana (2 days) Grand Cayman and flying back from Montego Bay (Thomson Dream also in that day)

We don't go until 17th Feb, so you will be back by then:( Going for my birthday on 26th. We did look at Caribbean Experience for 24th Feb, but decided on Braemar as we liked it so much. We would consider the Dream again, when we see what the refit has done to her. She is a nice ship, just needed doing up before they took on Passengers! But that is all old hat now. :D I'm sure she is fine now. One thing about her, the cabins were BIG. I haven't been on the Destiny, but they look quite small in the videos Ihave seen.

The other thing about the one we are doing is you have a whole day in Barbados before you sail. Then we are going to Curacao,Aruba, Ocho Rios, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Havana (2 days) Grand Cayman and flying back from Montego Bay (Thomson Dream also in that day)

Yes, Destiny cabins are small - at least the ones we had were. By comparison the basic cabins on Celebration ans Spirit seem quite spacious. (It may have been just a foot wider - but that can make a huge difference in a relatively compact space.) I'm looking forward to the Dream but I do agree Thomson would have done themselves and their passengers a hige favour to have done the re-fit prior to their first cruise.

You have quite a few ports in common with us - in fact all but Ocho Rios but we fly into Barbados so will have little time there. Have you been before? It's lovely - good place to have some extra time. I can recommend Hole Town - beautiful beach next to Sandy Lane (Simon Cowell's Christmas hide away - we couldn't get to see much from the beach though :o) You can do it for 2$ each way on the local bus from near the port - it's about a half hour journey. If you want details let me know.

If I pick up any tips/ideas for excursions/must sees, I'll post when I get back if you like, or if you want any particular info on any of the ports I'll do my best to find out.

What a lovely birthday!!! :D

Hi Kruzseeka,

We had a bit of a bad experience in Barbados. On the last day, because we had a late flight, we booked a trip, thinking we were going to go up the coast and see all the star's homes, but instead we were taken to a church, and a sugar plantation, where we had a lovely meal and then were taken to the airport, over an hour earlier than we had been told, as we had missed Gun Hill out altogether. The airport was horrendously hot and the security people were very rude, making us buy plastic bags to put make up in. I complained to Princess Cruises and got half of the trip money back. So we would really like to go up the East coast this time. Is that where Hole Town is? Any info would be welcome:) Also when you come back, we would welcome any info on Cuba and Mexico as they are both new to us.:)

Hi Kruzseeka,

We had a bit of a bad experience in Barbados. On the last day, because we had a late flight, we booked a trip, thinking we were going to go up the coast and see all the star's homes, but instead we were taken to a church, and a sugar plantation, where we had a lovely meal and then were taken to the airport, over an hour earlier than we had been told, as we had missed Gun Hill out altogether. The airport was horrendously hot and the security people were very rude, making us buy plastic bags to put make up in. I complained to Princess Cruises and got half of the trip money back. So we would really like to go up the East coast this time. Is that where Hole Town is? Any info would be welcome:) Also when you come back, we would welcome any info on Cuba and Mexico as they are both new to us.:)

I've just had a look on Google Earth and Hole Town (doesn't sound too attractive does it - but it's a typically lovely Caribbean beach) is North of Bridegtown on the West coast so probably not the area you want to explore. It's just a beach day really, but was a very inexpensive DiY trip and easy to do but won't let you see much of the island. We shall only have time to have a walk into Bridgetown for a couple of hours on this trip.

Yes, I'll report back on our return with anything I can find out and any impressions/info on trips etc. It's all new to us and I love to tap into others' experiences too so I'll listen out for any highly recommended places to see. If we'd chosen the Feb sailing on this itinerary instead of the Jan one - we'd have been able to say 'Hello' quayside!!! :)

Hi folks

Hope you don't mind me butting in! We are off to the Caribbean on 20th January, with Thomsons and after looking out of my window and seeing the heavy snowfall I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if there is a roll call for Thomson cruises and a forum? Sorry to be a pest, but I am not too sure of these things.

We are particularly looking forward to Havana, and hopefully enjoying the salsa and atmosphere of the place.

bye for now

Arlene

On the same one as yourself Kruzseeka tickets arrived today really looking forward to it now.. hopefully we will bump into each other and have a few?

Archived