On the Bow while sailing or docking

stevea36

I was wondering if NCL allows passengers to go all the way up to the front of the ship during docking. I have done this on both of my RCCL cruises and have found this to be a great place to see the port as you come in as well as see what they do to "dock".

Steve

Employee's only ... but I have done it , then politley asked to leave.

I know Im a big child...;)

I guess that's why its listed in the "Secret RCCL" thread...

As you are probably aware, its an awsome place to be when docking, etc... Just get your morning cup of coffee and stand up there...

Steve

Employee's only ... but I have done it , then politley asked to leave.

I know Im a big child...;)

It says "employees only" but you figure that you are such a special person that you do not have to obey signs and go there anyway. What other instructions do you ignore on the ship or in life?

IMHO, they should kick you off the ship. Restricted areas are usually restricted for safety reasons. Can we assume that if you went into a restricted area and were injured, you would demand a lot of compensation to make up for your injuries?

Anyone have a clue what can happen to the human body if they are hit by a bow or stern line that happens to let go? It will cut you in half.

All large boats have a minimum of people working the lines when coming in a and leaving a port for safety reasons

As you are probably aware, its an awsome place to be when docking, etc... Just get your morning cup of coffee and stand up there...

Steve

After the recent anchor issue on a HAL ship I suspect all cruise lines will be much less tolerant of these causual lapses in judgement.

Anyone have a clue what can happen to the human body if they are hit by a bow or stern line that happens to let go? It will cut you in half.

All large boats have a minimum of people working the lines when coming in a and leaving a port for safety reasons

I will say that the forward outside, uncovered deck on the Jewel class ships (the one with the crew pool) have no lines coming in, out, or across them. The giant lines come out from the side of the ship, with a crew member throwing a smaller "fetch rope" to the dock attendants from somewhere below. During many a docking, we have watched over that deck and the only action is the little man coming out of little hole in the deck to raise the flag, letting me know we are officially docked :D. I assume that the crew must get out there another way (other than the little hole ;) ) but I have never thought much about it... Spinnakers makes a great place to watch the docking, and the Sun has a balcony in front of the lounge to watch from. Other than those two or the forward suites, I don't know where else you can watch it from the very forward...

It says "employees only" but you figure that you are such a special person that you do not have to obey signs and go there anyway. What other instructions do you ignore on the ship or in life?

IMHO, they should kick you off the ship. Restricted areas are usually restricted for safety reasons. Can we assume that if you went into a restricted area and were injured, you would demand a lot of compensation to make up for your injuries?

Thats right , I want a Million dollars ..:p

And just so were clear , Im the most important person you dont know .

You worry to much Nancy , live a little .

btw, it is NOT a restricted area on RCCL. If the crew member needs to get to a spot to drop the "fetch rope" he asks you to move and you do. As a matter of fact, they even have benches up there on the Adventure of the Seas...

I will say when I worked on Eurodam my favorite place to be was on the bow as we were underway! You could only get to the bow through the Officers Bar so no passengers (unless invited) were likely to find their way there. There is a deck just above the bow for passengers, but it really did feel all "KING OF THE WORLD" as we sailed and I stood AT the bow with cocktail or coffee in hand!:D

On NCL it is always crew only out there. On HAL, they allow passengers out there when cruising thru the Panama Canal or places like Glacier Bay, Alaska.

On my recent Panama cruise on the Norwegian Star, the front was opened to passengers while we were in the canal. In addition to that, the HD and Executive housekeeper were out there handing out frozen washcloths to passengers so they could keep cool. Awesome service !!!

Yes, the Adventure of the Seas had nice benches up in the bow. It was my favorite place to be. I found it in my wanderings and brought the rest of the family there later. No signs saying it was off limits because it wasn't. Other people found it later:( In November I get to try the aft section of the Spirit since we will have a suite there. I have heard the aft is an excellent place to be also. I am so excited about that.

Steve

I think OP was talking of NCL ships not RCCL ships. On RCCL ships the bow is open to the passengers and it also has a helipad should you have a helicopter handy. Great space that does not get much traffic except during sailaways. On the CCL ships I have been on, the bow area is restricted to passengers and is for crew only. They often have a couple of hot tubs up there only for crew.

Archived