RCL Towel Policy All Wet

musicfam

We just returned from the Freedom four day cruise to Labadee. It was a fun time.

We took our entire family which included several young children from 4-12. There were ten of us. They have a (new?) towel policy that states if you do not return the same number of towels that you receive, they will charge you $25 each. We all had Seapass cards and several checked out towels. I got up once to briefly go to the restroom and someone took my towel. I went to the towel station and told them what happened and the guy said, "it's your responsibility. You will be charged $25."

Anyway, at the end of the cruise, we turned in our seven towels and they said we were clear. Yet, we still had one towel on our bill!

We spent our whole cruise worrying about those stupid towels! They went over and over that rule the whole trip. We are loyal, Diamond, and it is insulting to think that they are worried that we would steal their towels.

Be warned, they WILL charge you. Hope those towels are worth the ill feelings from loyal customers.

We just returned from the Freedom four day cruise to Labadee. It was a fun time.

We took our entire family which included several young children from 4-12. There were ten of us. They have a (new?) towel policy that states if you do not return the same number of towels that you receive, they will charge you $25 each. We all had Seapass cards and several checked out towels. I got up once to briefly go to the restroom and someone took my towel. I went to the towel station and told them what happened and the guy said, "it's your responsibility. You will be charged $25."

Anyway, at the end of the cruise, we turned in our seven towels and they said we were clear. Yet, we still had one towel on our bill!

We spent our whole cruise worrying about those stupid towels! They went over and over that rule the whole trip. We are loyal, Diamond, and it is insulting to think that they are worried that we would steal their towels.

Be warned, they WILL charge you. Hope those towels are worth the ill feelings from loyal customers.

They do it because people DO steal the towels.

If you returned the same number of towels that you checked out, all you had to do was go to Guest Services and ask that the charge be removed.

The towel situation is a PITA. I refuse to deal with it. The trick is to go into the locker rooms in the fitness center and take towels from there. You can take as many as you like and when they're dirty you can leave them in your cabin for the steward to deal with. No big deal if someone "borrows" these towels from you on the pool deck.

Like you I have no interest in "stealing" towels. I'm not particularly worried about losing them off the ship either. But I don't want to spend my vacation keeping track of a $25 towel on the ship's pool deck.

They have a (new?) towel policy that states if you do not return the same number of towels that you receive, they will charge you $25 each.

Not new.

Was in effect in 2008, but I think they only charged you $20 back then.

Yes, people steal towels. And lots of other stuff.

The towel situation is a PITA. I refuse to deal with it. The trick is to go into the locker rooms in the fitness center and take towels from there. You can take as many as you like and when they're dirty you can leave them in your cabin for the steward to deal with. No big deal if someone "borrows" these towels from you on the pool deck.

Like you I have no interest in "stealing" towels. I'm not particularly worried about losing them off the ship either. But I don't want to spend my vacation keeping track of a $25 towel on the ship's pool deck.

sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

This has been a policy on every cruise line we have used. However, I don't worry about it, because there are always "pool" towels lying around in piles. So, we have two pool towels in our cabin when we get on the ship and two towels in the cabin when we leave; which may or may not be the same two towels we started with, if you get my drift.

Not new.

Was in effect in 2008, but I think they only charged you $20 back then.

Yes, people steal towels. And lots of other stuff.

When we were on the Serenade 2/2010 we had the towels in our rooms, no checking out and the cabin steward gave us an many as we requested, no questions.

When we went on the Monarch 5/2010 the towel police were in full force with the checkouts and returns. It was quite annoying.

Since those are our only two cruises I was totally confused about what was normal.... still am!! Oh well. :D

That is my point. How much could those towels cost them? I was a nervous wreck trying to keep up with my kids and their towels! My granddaughter, not fully understanding the rules, turned one in one day and they just took it, no swiping it in or anything, so how can you tell me that they really keep track? One man we spoke to was charged for three and he did not check out any. With the amount of money we spent, we should have been trusted with their crappy towels. This is supposed to be relaxing, not grade school!!

That is my point. How much could those towels cost them? I was a nervous wreck trying to keep up with my kids and their towels! My granddaughter, not fully understanding the rules, turned one in one day and they just took it, no swiping it in or anything, so how can you tell me that they really keep track? One man we spoke to was charged for three and he did not check out any. With the amount of money we spent, we should have been trusted with their crappy towels. This is supposed to be relaxing, not grade school!!

Yes, you and 95% of cruisers keep track of their towels and return them as needed. Unfortunately as usually happens there are those bad eggs out there that decide a towel would make a great souvenier (sp). Imagine 10 towels going home with passengers every cruise. It doesn't sound like a lot but adds up quickly when you do the math.

Do I like it, no, but it just one of those things you have to deal with.

This has been a policy on every cruise line we have used. However, I don't worry about it, because there are always "pool" towels lying around in piles. So, we have two pool towels in our cabin when we get on the ship and two towels in the cabin when we leave; which may or may not be the same two towels we started with, if you get my drift.

I get your drift but I did not appreciate having to "find" towels to replace those stolen from our chairs on CocoCay during our recent cruise so I'm all over those fitness center towels on our next cruise. Those are the old pool towels that the room steward used to give you right? I saw them being used but didn't know where folks were getting them. As for being charged now if they are not returned -- no one asked Royal to put their name on the towels and make them attractive. I'll bet no one stole those ugly beige/yellow ones!

I think on our trip from the airport to Port Canaveral we will stop and buy some cheap beach towels to take on the ship with us. If my kids lose them, oh well. If they don't, then we have a nice souvenier from Florida! :D

Also I think it will be easier for them to keep track of 'their' towel if it doesn't look like the other 4000 out there!

Well I did the towel rental thing on my first Monarch cruise. I was able to keep track but had to remember where I put my stuff when I went swimming.

Since I live an hour from the Port I bring my own towel. I am able to see where my stuff is right away and my towel is much better then the ships towel.

Why would anyone even WANT those old dirty looking towels? Certainly not worth $25! And I agree, it's a PITA to have to spend your whole vacation worrying about losing track of your towel. I met up with some people on a Celebrity cruise while I was in port and I asked if they had the same towel policy. The answer was NO! I've done 2 trips with RCCL and overall I think they are WONDERFUL, but the towel policy blows.

The towel police are not pleasant to deal with! I thought I was going to have a full blown fight on my hands... we checked out two towels... those UGLY beige towels... we returned two towels... yet I was told we still had one more out.

Maybe I'm confused... but why on earth would ANYONE want to steal these ugly towels? Hitting walmart to pick up a couple of cheap towels for our upcoming cruise.

No way am I shlepping towels on my cruise and I live in driving distance to the embarkation port. I slather on lots of suncreen and I wouldn't want to use that towel again before washing and the 2nd thing I won't do on a cruise is wash towels :eek: I have bigger things to obsess over like.. which suitcase will hold all of my stuff and how many pairs of shoes will I pack?:) ;)

I dont understand how they can charge you? On the two RC cruises I've been on, I got my card swiped when I took out two towels, and then just put them in the laundry bin at the end of the day, and never got charged.

Can someone clarify for me?

I dont understand how they can charge you? On the two RC cruises I've been on, I got my card swiped when I took out two towels, and then just put them in the laundry bin at the end of the day, and never got charged.

Can someone clarify for me?

they charge you because they see you swiped out two towels but did not swipe two in.

you must've got lucky.

they charge you because they see you swiped out two towels but did not swipe two in.

you must've got lucky.

So if there is no attendant around, you must keep the towels in your room and bring them back only when there is someone to swipe your card?

then why keep a laundry bag out just so that people can dispose of towels... then get charged unknowingly, kind of schemey, no?

I abhor the towel policy. Between remembering and guarding them against others who lost or got theirs stolen, it adds stress and detracts from the relaxation of a cruise vacation.

Furthermore, this policy is not even necessary. Simply use cheaper towels no one wants to steal. If they do, no big loss.

Costa had no towel policy, just stacks and stacks of towels to use at will, no check out. In fact there was one rolled up on each deck chair in the morning, essentially eliminating 'chair hogging by towel'.

So if there is no attendant around, you must keep the towels in your room and bring them back only when there is someone to swipe your card?

then why keep a laundry bag out just so that people can dispose of towels... then get charged unknowingly, kind of schemey, no?

ya, or return them to the guest relations desk. but usually the attendant times are convenient.

but if u saw a laundry bag out with towels in it, no attendant, and didn't get charged maybe things were different on your cruise (ie more reasonable)

If someone ganks your towel or you're 1 or 2 off, just lie about how many you're returning.

For example, hand them a ball of 3 and say 'returning 4' or 'this is all of them'.

Many times they don't count or I just toss them in the bin.

But always verify the number returning.

One time I returned two balled up. After getting my card back I said 'Two right?' He said 'No, sorry one' and asked for my card again.

Archived