HAL & CC get glowing recommendations in article

tcook052

http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_16751212

Holland America Line has a global presence, with one of the strongest reputations for good value. The line's newest ships -- Eurodam and Amsterdam -- carry 2,000 and 1,380 passengers, respectively. Both sport contemporary design and features, although when I sailed on Eurodam, I heard some elderly passengers complain about "too much walking."

For me, Eurodam allowed enough room to explore and plenty of bang-for-the buck. So I've booked my husband and myself on an Asian cruise aboard Holland America's Vollendam for the spring.

I highly recommend checking out www.cruisecritic.com, which includes comprehensive reviews by the site's editors, as well as more subjective reviews by passengers. Both include valuable information.

Where does it say that in the article? :confused:
The line's newest ships -- Eurodam and Amsterdam -- carry 2,000 and 1,380 passengers, respectively
The Amsterdam carries 1,380 passengers and is an R class ship - NOT new. The Nieuw Amsterdam is the newest ship in the fleet and probably what the writer had in mind. Too bad for that error. IMO nothing they say can be trusted after that - even if it is nice.

The Amsterdam carries 1,380 passengers and is an R class ship - NOT new. The Nieuw Amsterdam is the newest ship in the fleet and probably what the writer had in mind. Too bad for that error. IMO nothing they say can be trusted after that - even if it is nice.

True of course but nowhere I could read where it calls the two "sister" ships as previous poster noted which is what I was responding to in my post.

To me "The line's newest ships -- Eurodam and Amsterdam..." implies that they are sister ships. They are not, nor are they HAL's two "newest ships". One is - and one is older than at least HAL 6 ships. If the "journalist" had said the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam were HAL's newest ships they would have been correct and they are sister ships. To me it shows that the "journalist" knows not about which they speak. Somehow not surprising.

Since the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam are the two newest ships I have to think that the author was talking about the Nieuw Amsterdam and not the Amsterdam. The two ships are both signature class ships which makes them sister ships. They are the only signature class ships in HAL's fleet.

Also, the Nieuw Amsterdam carries more than 1300 passengers---closer to 2200-2300. The article does not have to say they are sister ships to make it so.

I agree with a previous poster that with two glaring errors like that it is hard to give credence to anything else that is said.

The Amsterdam is a much older and smaller ship.

Also, the Nieuw Amsterdam carries more than 1300 passengers---closer to 2200-2300.
2106 double occupancy, 3681 if all 313 triples and 159 quads are full. I guess they couldn't ever fill it that much, though, as that would probably far exceed lifeboat capacity.

Newspapers, unlike magazines, don't employ fact checkers.

It appears to me that the author realized that the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam are HAL's two newest ships, but didn't realize that the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Amsterdam were different. She then looked up the passenger capacities and found values for the Eurodam and the Amsterdam and included these in her article. And then she assumed that all HAL ships are alike so she booked the Volendam.

Archived