Recent Negative Reviews of Nieuw Amsterdam

esquire20

I remember several years ago when the Zuiderdam came on line and there were many negative reviews on this ship. I was to sail on this ship for two weeks in June and was really dreading it. I got on the ship and my question was, what is all the negativity about?

You might come back with the same reaction to the NA I hope so anyway. I will be on this ship before you. I was once on her sister ship, the Eurodam, and I loved this ship.

Madam,

I am a very experienced traveler. I would only report incidents of value to others. I am not a whiner. I do not seek sympathy.

In addition, I must report problems of a systemic nature. These give an insight into the capability and strategy of HAL.

Nothing can be perfect. That is certainly true of anything of an operational nature.

That said, some organizations deliver better value than others (Toyota over GM). Some deliver it consistently (Every day low Price). Then, there are the rest.

I absolutely agree with you. It sounds like another Cruise Line may be more to your liking, good luck in your endeavors.

There is truly no need to slam those that actually enjoy the product nor scare those who have yet to sail. Individual experiences differ on the exact same sailings.

LOCALADY and ARIAWOMAN: Thank you for your 'words of experience'. I am really looking forward to this adventure. I am usually not overly critical. I also understand that the NA is new and may have some kinks to work out. Good or bad CC has been a blessing in learning about cruising and I will be back here on January 15, 2010 giving my two-cents worth.

We are also set to sail on Nieuw Amsterdam March 6 2011. The negative reviews are a concern. We sailed last year on her sister ship Eurodam and loved the ship and we were treated so well by all the staff. The Eurodam was smooth sailing and there were no complaints about ship movement. We have been on seven cruises and the food was the best we ever had. It was in fact our best cruise so far and that is why we are so excited to sail again with Holland America on Nieuw Amsterdam. Why so many negative reviews? Getting out of a Northwest winter is something to look foward to. Maybe I haven't been on enough crusies yet to complain because every cruise so far has been so much to look foward to.

Merknerk, come join our Roll Call! We'd love to meet you and chat about our upcoming cruise. Like you, we don't believe there will be many complaints from us. We'll be so happy to be out of the cold and into the warmth!

Rachel

We just returned from the western Caribbean cruise abord the Nieuw Amsterdam, and we loved it! The ship is classy and elegant, the food wonderful, the service almost perfect and the entertainment not to be missed (especially the group Cantaré). Our balcony (off room VD 4158) was bigger than I had pictured and the stateroom itself was very comfortable (Just make sure that no one is standing in front of the closet doors when you try to open the bathroom door opposite.)

The shore excursions were a little disappointing. On another cruise I would pay more attention to what there is to do onshore that does not involve frantic activity or too many jewellery shops.

One of our favorite places to hang out, once we figured out how to get to it, was the internet café/library and Crows Nest Lounge, all up on deck 11. In the evening they have a good quitar player.

This was ourt first cruise ever, and we may be hooked on cruising. I'm just afraid that if we went with another ship, we might be disappointed!

We are easy going in our travel attitudes, but this was the first holiday we have ever taken with no major disappointments.

LOCALADY and ARIAWOMAN: Thank you for your 'words of experience'. I am really looking forward to this adventure. I am usually not overly critical. I also understand that the NA is new and may have some kinks to work out. Good or bad CC has been a blessing in learning about cruising and I will be back here on January 15, 2010 giving my two-cents worth.

I suspect you will love it, I sure hope so. I cruise her on March 20th and look forward to your review!!

Rooms appeared nearly the same size as I have seen on other HAL ships except for the suites and penthouse. They were much smaller, especially the penthouse.

The suites and PH's are the exact same size and configuration as those aboard all 4 Vistas and Eurodam...

...and the PH's are actually larger than all PH's on the S and R-Class ships.

In fact, there's really nothing at all new about this ship other than a few minor details and decor - It's just another Vista/Signature, so folks complaining about the size of the staterooms on NA would be just as dissatisfied with comparable accommodations on those other 5 ships.

I don't care what measurements anyone says they are.

I know how they feel and I saw on the cabin crawl how tight it was.

Please, don't let little things like facts get in your way...

:cool:

That said, some organizations deliver better value than others (Toyota over GM) Some deliver it consistently (Every day low Price)

As long as you don't mind unintended acceleration and rotting truck frames...

...or Made in China future-landfill.

;)

I absolutely agree with you. It sounds like another Cruise Line may be more to your liking, good luck in your endeavors.

There is truly no need to slam those that actually enjoy the product nor scare those who have yet to sail. Individual experiences differ on the exact same sailings.

Madam,

I do not intend to scare anyone. I hope that I didn't scare you. I certainly didn't mean to slam you.

These are merely insights. I try to be positive by identifying solutions to possible problems. It could happen to you one day!

Yes, I have alternatives. This is an expedition cruise. They try to launch the zodiac twice a day on landfall.

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/arctic-highlights-and-polar-bears/XVAHNX/2011/

I would go on this cruise in a heartbeat if the single supplement was 150%.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/balticandscandinavia/ins110611/default.aspx

There's always a land package.

http://www.greatcanadiantravel.com/tours/canada-usa/churchill-beluga-whale-tour

:cool:

We just spent 14 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We thought the food was very good in the main dining room, Pinnacle Grill and the Tamarind. We didn't have a chance to try the Canaletto.

The only thing I disliked about the Nieuw Amsterdam was the noise from the Ocean Bar that you heard in the Pinnacle Grill. We eat early. There is no music in the Ocean Bar from 5 PM until 6:30 PM. As a result the Bar Staff would get very loud during that time frame yelling "Hip Hip Hooray", stomping their feet on the floor and getting the bar patrons all stirred up. It was very LOUD!!!

Le Cirque -- if you get a chance to try it -- it is wonderful!!

Krazy Kruisers and MoonLady6 are so right on with their enjoyment and description of the ship. It was wonderful!! Any problems reported previously apparently have been addressed or no longer exist.

I love this ship and everything about her!! I wish I could be aboard her 24/7:D

Joanie

Archived