Recent Negative Reviews of Nieuw Amsterdam

esquire20

Hello to all of you HAL veterans. I am currently booked on the 3-13-11 sailing on the NA. This will be my first cruise on HAL even though me and my wife have cruised over 30 times. I have recently read some negative reviews about the NA, like ths furniture in the cabins being of very low quality, including the TV. Another thing I have read is that the Veranda cabins are very small. I now may regret trading my inside J to GTY Veranda. The reviews indicated that the food in the MDR was mediocre and I guess the most troubling was that Famed HAL Service was not good at all. I know that reviews can vary, but it is unsual for 4 out of the last 5 NA reviews were not good. DO i HAVE A CAUSE FOR CONCERN ? Thank you in advance for your input. Leslie

We were on the N.A. for 12 days, Sep 24 to Oct 6, and I can honestly say that the only thing that displeased me was the bright, bright red color used on the lower level of the MDR. Period. Our cabin service and service in all dining venues was excellent.

Our deck 8 V cabin was the same size as VA cabins we've had on three Vista ships ... about 20 or 21 ft by 9 ft, with a 7 ft deep balcony. The balconies on some classes of verandas may be as small as 4.5 ft, though. What class of veranda guarantee do you have?

John

p.s. - I've sent IRL_Joanie pictures of our cabin, 8057, which you can view here:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ under Nieuw Amsterdam. She doesn't have many for the N.A. yet, so you could also look at any Vx cabins on the Eurodam.

Amsterdam 2641 - Alaska 7/02

Westerdam 8010 - Baltic 9/05

Noordam 7124 - Western Mediterranean 6/06

Veendam 712 - Western Caribbean 12/06

Sovereign of the Seas 6556 - Bahamas 4/07

Statendam 394 - Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07

Zuiderdam 8021 - Eastern Caribbean 12/07

Amsterdam 3385 - Panama Canal transit 4/08

Eurodam 4130 - Bahamas 10/08

Noordam 8009 - Southern Caribbean 12/08

Noordam 4178 - Southern Caribbean 12/09

Nieuw Amsterdam 8057 - Eastern Mediterranean 9/10

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer for a 12-day Mediterranean cruise and we enjoyed it very much. This was our 4th cruise with HAL and we thought it was as good or better than our previous 3. We stayed in a verandah cabin and our cabin stewards were excellent. The dining room food and service were, to us, actually better than our previous cruises on HAL. Service at the bars and poolside was very good. Our verandah cabin was a good size and I would take it over inside cabin any day. Our only real disappointment was the Pinnacle Grill … my DH said it was one of the worst meals on board he’s ever had and it may have been just an off night for the PG.

We’ll be on the Westerdam for New Years and are absolutely looking forward to the same great service and food we expect from HAL.

I’m sure you’ll great time.

I just came off her today and loved her. I thought the colors, furniture/artwork and food were wonderful.

BUT, please keep in mind that my tates are very different from yours, from jtl513 and Krazy Kruisers, just to use the 4 of us as examples.

I was really expecting to hate the MDR because of the description and photos of the MDR. Boy was I wrong!!! In my opinion, remember this is my opinion, the red in the MDR was quite classic and a beautiful coloring that did not overpower anything, it was a classic red and as I said I loved it. The food was wonderful. When I write my review I will tell ya'll why my thoughts on the other food venues are more to the negative side. Not bad, just not great either.... Short story that will be in the review in a couple days.

There were things that could have been better, but then again things could have been so so much worse!!!

Joanie

We sailed on the N.A. in September. While I think our cruise on the Ryndam last year was better, I really was not that disappointed. The room was cozy, the bed very comfortable, loved the pillows. Excursions were planned out well.

I do have some issues with the customer service level. I did not think it was up to HAL standards, or at least as well as we experienced on our first HAL cruise last year. There were also issues with some illness aboard the ship, which was confirmed by others who sailed after us.

All in all, we enjoyed our trip and will sail with HAL again.

In my opinion, remember this is my opinion, the red in the MDR was quite classic and a beautiful coloring that did not overpower anything, it was a classic red and as I said I loved it.
Were you downstairs/open or upstairs/fixed?

We were on the N.A. for 12 days, Sep 24 to Oct 6, and I can honestly say that the only thing that displeased me was the bright, bright red color used on the lower level of the MDR. Period. Our cabin service and service in all dining venues was excellent.

Our deck 8 V cabin was the same size as VA cabins we've had on three Vista ships ... about 20 or 21 ft by 9 ft, with a 7 ft deep balcony. The balconies on some classes of verandas may be as small as 4.5 ft, though. What class of veranda guarantee do you have?

John

p.s. - I've sent IRL_Joanie pictures of our cabin, 8057, which you can view here:

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ under Nieuw Amsterdam. She doesn't have many for the N.A. yet, so you could also look at any Vx cabins on the Eurodam.

Amsterdam 2641 - Alaska 7/02

Westerdam 8010 - Baltic 9/05

Noordam 7124 - Western Mediterranean 6/06

Veendam 712 - Western Caribbean 12/06

Sovereign of the Seas 6556 - Bahamas 4/07

Statendam 394 - Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07

Zuiderdam 8021 - Eastern Caribbean 12/07

Amsterdam 3385 - Panama Canal transit 4/08

Eurodam 4130 - Bahamas 10/08

Noordam 8009 - Southern Caribbean 12/08

Noordam 4178 - Southern Caribbean 12/09

Nieuw Amsterdam 8057 - Eastern Mediterranean 9/10

Thanks for the reply John, my GTY is for VF cabin. leslie

Negative reviews ??

Where ?? :confused:

Have to admit, seen some snippets of food criticisms, and other non-issues, but nothing really bad.

Each of the reviews on CC since sailing in the Caribbean began have not been glowing. We are also on the 3/13/11 cruise.

Joanie: I, too, didn't mind the red in the dining room of the N. Amsterdam. I didn't think it was overpowering; thought it had class. I think John likes subdued colors. I still love the Amsterdam though just because I feel like I am sailing in the past. Also it just is a smaller ship.

Were you downstairs/open or upstairs/fixed?

Hi Cat (Please tell John HI)

Actually we were in both dining rooms at various times. And I also have to say that I really did not have the noise problems that I have read about. I was given access to all the Public Areas and took tons of photos:)

I have photos that I will post shortly (within a day or so of all the public areas and staterooms) after getting home.

By the way, just as an FYI, the Eurodam, the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Oosterdam do NOT have an Oasis. I was not aware of this until I was given a tour of Club Hal Thursday evening by the Youth Director. She was on Oosterdam for 2 years before going to NA.

OK, enough babbling :D

Joanie

Negative reviews ??

Where ?? :confused:

Have to admit, seen some snippets of food criticisms, and other non-issues, but nothing really bad.

Ok, if you want, check out my live thread.

the ship is ok, but frankly the shore excursion desk was abysmal.

Our waiter was in training until I spoke to the assistant dining room manager.

Rooms appeared nearly the same size as I have seen on other HAL ships except for the suites and penthouse. They were much smaller, especially the penthouse. I don't care what measurements anyone says they are.

I know how they feel and I saw on the cabin crawl how tight it was.

I found the food good most times and was overall pleased.

However, as I reported, and this is JMO and my friends who also came on HAL, the ship is somehow 'different' and 'missing something'.

the shops were horrible, don't wait to buy something because there is nothing you will want to buy (unless they have changed their contract or their inventory).

If you like black & white photos, you will love the ship. If you loved the older ships that had real art, you will dissapointed. My view point only.

I know, I will be flamed. Back to the old dam ships I go as I like the old pieces they had. Even the strings weren't the same. Very stiff. Just did their thing and left. As compared to our other strings where some of them did solos because they were appreciated.

I have never heard so many people happy to get off a ship.

Don't misunderstand. I am a HAL fan, but honest. I know I risk being flamed and opinions are subjective, but while the ship is nice to those who have never been. It's the last dam ship I would go on in the HAL fleet.

Probably a bad experience, but..............once burned, twice shy. I'll take the older ones thank you.

Joanie: I, too, didn't mind the red in the dining room of the N. Amsterdam. I didn't think it was overpowering; thought it had class. I think John likes subdued colors. I still love the Amsterdam though just because I feel like I am sailing in the past. Also it just is a smaller ship.

Definitely 2 classy ladies, you and the ship both:)

I loved the classy red. I really and truly expected to seed garish red in the MDR. I also expected to be sickened by the dewsign of the Show Room at Sea carpeting design. The photos on Holland America's Website make it look so garish and yech... But Oh my goodness, how surprising gorgeous everything about the ship was!!!

I felt like I was on a new ship with very beautiful and classy classic decor.:)

Joanie

Jacqui, no flames here!!

I am not about to flame you or anyone else for their views on Nieuw Amsterdam!!

We all have our own tastes and opinions and in 99.99% of the time I respect those opinions from others, unless they are all out attacks:eek:

There were/are still some problems with things on the ship. The crew is almost competely made up now of fairly newly trained emplyees. The trainers have either just left in the last few weeks or are leaving over the next 2 weeks.

Our Stateroom stewards I rated an 85% out of the 100% of the service that I have had on my other 3 cruises. I had to ask them several times for Suite Amenities that they did not know we were supposed to receive. There were little problems that I found a big smile, a hearty Good Morning and an attitude of being permanently happy sure helped with:)

Sheesz, kind of looks like a mini review here. Sorry about that all.

I will write my review in a couple days.

Joanie

Ok, if you want, check out my live thread.

I have never heard so many people happy to get off a ship.

Don't misunderstand. I am a HAL fan, but honest. I know I risk being flamed and opinions are subjective, but while the ship is nice to those who have never been. It's the last dam ship I would go on in the HAL fleet.

Probably a bad experience, but..............once burned, twice shy. I'll take the older ones thank you.

No flames here, we sailed on the same voyage as you and concur with most of your comments (we differ on decor). We will sail HAL again, but not on the NA. Please see my review in the CC review section on this website. Another person's opinion I respect (Joanie) just returned and her comments suggest she had a good time. Experiences do change from voyage to voyage on the same ship.

We had a very pleasant experience on the NA this past week. We experienced excellent service in the MDR. I can honestly say that all of the staf that I came into contact with were very pleasant and professional. The food in the MDR was good. We found the entertainment mediocre. However , we really enjoyed the Piano Bar.

Overall I would rate this cruise as one of my best cruise experiences.

We are also set to sail on Nieuw Amsterdam March 6 2011. The negative reviews are a concern. We sailed last year on her sister ship Eurodam and loved the ship and we were treated so well by all the staff. The Eurodam was smooth sailing and there were no complaints about ship movement. We have been on seven cruises and the food was the best we ever had. It was in fact our best cruise so far and that is why we are so excited to sail again with Holland America on Nieuw Amsterdam. Why so many negative reviews? Getting out of a Northwest winter is something to look foward to. Maybe I haven't been on enough crusies yet to complain because every cruise so far has been so much to look foward to.

We are going on our first cruise on the NA 1/9/11. I, too, have been very concerned about the negative reviews on CC NA review. I guess our one advantage is that we don't have other cruises to compare it to. I do hope they work out some of the bugs before we sail.

Speaking as a veteran of these boards, I have previously driven myself mad with reading bad reviews here on the boards prior to our cruises. :(

Each and everytime I have fret it has proved for not. :rolleyes: That is not to say that "ship" didn't happen, it's just that it was in no way what others had described. Each cruise has it's own feel...I have been on ships with a lot of cranky folks and that has affected the "feel" of the cruise.

Take all you read here with a huge grain of salt. Officers and staff change, some for the worse, and some for the better. The "tone" of the ship in October can be entirely different the following March.

Relax, have fun and take a sense of humor with you and you are guaranteed to have a great cruise.:)

Thanks for the reply John, my GTY is for VF cabin. leslie
The VF on deck 4 have 7.5 ft deep balconies but a steel-walled railing rather than plexiglas. If you get assigned a VF or VE on deck 5 you'll have a 4.5 ft deep balcony. If you get a side VA, VB, or VC it will be 6 ft. The deck 8 Vs are 7 ft, and I'm not sure about the stern VA and VB on the Nieuw A.

Speaking as a veteran of these boards,

... Take all you read here with a huge grain of salt. Officers and staff change, some for the worse, and some for the better. The "tone" of the ship in October can be entirely different the following March.

Relax, have fun and take a sense of humor with you and you are guaranteed to have a great cruise.:)

Congrats!

You can ignore leaks in your cabin, and a/c that doesn't work! You actually don't mind being woken at 2am by the kitchen!

I wish that I could be like you! :)

I was on the NA for 12 days in october and I too loved the ship. I had a few minor complaints, but nothing that really impacted my trip all that much (aside from the nasty cold that someone brought on board and spread to me and many others lol).

I think the issue with reading online reviews is, those of us that had a great time, tend to not post reviews because we dont have a gripe to get across, whereas people that had a lesser experience want others to share give their experiences so they dont feel alone in their experience, so to speak.

It's kinda like how when you do a great job nobody says anything, but screw up just once and you'll hear it instantly from many. :-)

Not to say that the people that had negative experiences are incorrect, as we are all entitled and all have indeed had our individual experiences, however I think if you personally go into it thinking you'll hate it, you will. Manifest destiny. SO, try to have an open mind, and just sit back and enjoy.

Hopefully you'll be able to respond to this thread in a few months saying you had nothing to worry about :-)

As for the VF room size, I was in one on Deck 5. It's not a huge room, but you know the dimensions when you book, as they are posted. It's not a sardine can by any means. The inside J might be a little larger (i dont know as i've not looked it up) but in my opinion, having the view trumps that. :-)

Congrats!

You can ignore leaks in your cabin, and a/c that doesn't work! You actually don't mind being woken at 2am by the kitchen!

I wish that I could be like you! :)

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. :(

I have actually been in cabins with minimal A/C or toilets that wouldn't flush, and been on ships propelled by one engine causing us to miss many ports. Like I said. "ship" happens. :rolleyes:

But I have been on far more wonderful cruises that I had none of those problems and had a generally wonderful cruise. :D

P.S. The only smells we have had from the kitchen was the smell of baking bread and cooking bacon in the wee hours of the morning.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. :(

I have actually been in cabins with minimal A/C or toilets that wouldn't flush, and been on ships propelled by one engine causing us to miss many ports. Like I said. "ship" happens. :rolleyes:

Madam,

I am a very experienced traveler. I would only report incidents of value to others. I am not a whiner. I do not seek sympathy.

In addition, I must report problems of a systemic nature. These give an insight into the capability and strategy of HAL.

Nothing can be perfect. That is certainly true of anything of an operational nature.

That said, some organizations deliver better value than others (Toyota over GM). Some deliver it consistently (Every day low Price). Then, there are the rest.

Archived