Yet another sad reason we should avoid Jamaica..

shepp

We sailed there once, before I knew they were "not-friendly". I wasn't overly impressed. Since finding out they are homophobic - I will never again book a cruise going there. Their attitude towards GLBT is not something I will support. As another poster mentioned, they will loose the Gay$$$$ - and the $$$$ from us parents, and other relatives & friends of someone who is gay. No ones life should be at risk due to their orientation.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have nothing but positive experiences in Jamaica. It is a beautiful country, and I find the people to be very outgoing and friendly. I am frequently on the Carnival Conquest, which stops in Montego Bay. I look forward to going back each time. The locals I have met and dealt with are always professional, friendly and respectful. I find the same from the JAmaican workers I encouter in stateside ports. I will keep my guard up in the future, but there are two sides to every story. I would like to know more about the circumstances of the negative treatment of gays and lesbians. I do not flaunt my lifestyle, but it is really no secret either. I will post more after my next visit this week.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have nothing but positive experiences in Jamaica. It is a beautiful country, and I find the people to be very outgoing and friendly. I am frequently on the Carnival Conquest, which stops in Montego Bay. I look forward to going back each time. The locals I have met and dealt with are always professional, friendly and respectful. I find the same from the JAmaican workers I encouter in stateside ports. I will keep my guard up in the future, but there are two sides to every story. I would like to know more about the circumstances of the negative treatment of gays and lesbians. I do not flaunt my lifestyle, but it is really no secret either. I will post more after my next visit this week.

Plese do post your review, as we have been there a few times and never had a problem other than the street people following you and asking for $$$.

I was on a ship that stopped at MoBay a couple of years ago. I chose not to get off the ship. I have stayed on the ship at other ports where I had been many times before and just wanted to relax on the ship. When the ship is in port it is like a ghost town with no chair hoarders, no lines at the buffet, no lines at the gym, etc. A real pleasure and very relaxing. I expected the same while at MoBay. I was wrong though. It almost looked like a sea day with all the pax that stayed on board. We had the chair hoarders by the pool, lines at the buffet, etc. Pax voted with their feet.

I will be on a ship that will stop there in 2012. I wanted the itinerary but had to take Jamaica as part of it. I will stay on the ship again but this time I will be more expecting of my fellow pax doing the same.

No Prblem CruisingJoe. You will not hear another peep from me regarding this subject. Please return the favor. Hopefully we will never have to share a ship together. That way you will not be offended by opinions other than you own.

????? Has something been edited or am I missing something here? Maybe I'm incredibly dim this evening but I thought crusingJoe was actually in agreement with you........... ? If not it's a piece of sarcasm that went way over my head!!

Maybe I'm reading things wrong.

We used to cruise to and vacation on land in Jamaica back in the 1980s. Had many wonderful visits in MoBay, Negril, and Ocho Rios. The food, people and surroundings were great. Things began to change for the worse in the 1990s -- people harrassing us, trying to sell us drugs, following us around, and being threatening. We then searched out and found other places in the Caribbean we enjoyed more and stopped going to Jamaica. It's very sad, but we do not find Jamaica worth visiting any longer -- by ship or otherwise. Truly wish it was not so.

????? Has something been edited or am I missing something here? Maybe I'm incredibly dim this evening but I thought crusingJoe was actually in agreement with you........... ? If not it's a piece of sarcasm that went way over my head!!

Glad you mentioned it because I was puzzled too!! Maybe some one can enlighten we dimwits!!

Thanks for the support, nothing was edited or missing. I am just looking for his review on his next cruise. I'm in agreement and hope he stays in Texes. :)

Cruisingjoe: Please forgive me. I re-read your post. When I wrote my response I thought you had written please do NOT post a review. My mistake. I was wrong, and when I am, I admit it. So sorry. I cannot take back what has already occurred, but I can admit a mistake. I doubt we will ever meet in person, but if we should, I will apologize to your face. Again, I was wrong and I am sorry.

Cordially,

George, aka HighSeasTexan

Cruisingjoe: Please forgive me. I re-read your post. When I wrote my response I thought you had written please do NOT post a review. My mistake. I was wrong, and when I am, I admit it. So sorry. I cannot take back what has already occurred, but I can admit a mistake. I doubt we will ever meet in person, but if we should, I will apologize to your face. Again, I was wrong and I am sorry.

Cordially,

To tell you the truth, for some reason I mis-read the original post the same way you did, I'm not sure why. I reread it after someone questioned your response; I've got to stop the speed reading.

Cordially,

Yes I forgive you, no need to apologize. Should we meet at high seas you can bur me a drink. We have 4 upcomming cruises should you be one one of the. (See my Signature)

Regards, Joe

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have nothing but positive experiences in Jamaica. It is a beautiful country, and I find the people to be very outgoing and friendly. I will keep my guard up in the future, but there are two sides to every story. I would like to know more about the circumstances of the negative treatment of gays and lesbians. I do not flaunt my lifestyle, but it is really no secret either.

Listen, I spent the day in Ocho Rios on a cruise my mother booked, and had a lovely time there, too...except for a female sex worker near the dock grabbing my crotch with unerring, unwelcome accuracy. Nonetheless, there's a disturbing "they were asking for it" subtext to your post, unless I'm totally reading something into it. Gays and lesbians are being tortured and killed by homophobes, while the power structure just stands by and popular culture celebrates the mini-holocaust. What's to debate? Years ago, Time magazine called Jamaica possibly "the most homophobic place on Earth," and things give little-to-no sign of getting better. If you want to go, that's your choice. But the I find the idea that there are two sides to this particular story repellent.

Still, have a lovely, non-flaunting time. Stay safe.

We have never had any issues either. In regards to other posts, whether someone gets off the ship or not, the port is still receiving the port charges and the only way to avoid that is to not book a cruise that stops there. We always get off of the ship and walk around the local port area buying some rum. Last time we stopped at a sidewalk cafe in Ocho Rios and ate some jerk chicken and had a few Red Stripe beers, it was a fantastic time and the person serving us was Jamaican and very cordial.

Most stores around the port area appear to be owned and run by Indians not Jamaicans unless you go to a smaller type out of the way place, but the governments still receive some form of tax monies from them. There are some Jamaicans that don't have an issue with our lifestyle, but that's probably the minority there. It would be interesting to see a poll of the country on their views in order to see the actual percentages. Jamaica is pretty bad, but there are many other Caribbean islands with the same homophobic ways.

Jamaica is pretty bad, but there are many other Caribbean islands with the same homophobic ways.

Beg to differ. While other Caribbean countries are homophobic, the ferocity and frequency of attacks and killings, the lack of an effective official response, and the murderous hatred of dancehall culture do make Jamaica, unfortunately, the worst of the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Jamaica

Archived