Yet another sad reason we should avoid Jamaica..

shepp

I'll do one better. I won't even book a cruise with a ship that even has that as one of its ports. Maybe when they lose the "gay dollar" they will wake up and smell the Rastafarian!

I totally agree. I would NEVER book a cruise that listed ANY part of Jamaica as one ot its destination ports:mad:. Unfortunately, my cruise wish list has ended up getting dwindled down considerably but I have found one for me and fiance (honeymoon cruise) on Carnival (Eastern Caribbean) out of New Orleans. Can't wait:D

..as long as GLBGT are in potential in danger while visiting this lsland? :confused:

There are too many places that welcome all people & are safe to travel to. Why not put the xperiences out there...also - this info is for evryone, not just the gay community....the first time i was in Jamaica was when I was 15 yo travelling w/ family...so the Jamaican do not discriminate as to their bad /dangerous behavior!

Perhaps the cruise line will change to another port....

• 4 weeks later...

My recent cruise stopped in Ocho Rios and it wasn't that bad. Dunn's River Falls is a nice outdoorsy thing you can do on your own (though it can be crowded). The port has a nice setting and there's a beach within walking distance (though you have to pay, didn't see how much). The vendors are pushy and people do follow you around, I can see how that would creep some people out. But the island is VERY green, not a barren desert like so many caribbean islands.

So I won't go out of my way to avoid Jamaica on future cruises. It's not like the rest of caribbean is gay friendly.

My recent cruise stopped in Ocho Rios and it wasn't that bad. Dunn's River Falls is a nice outdoorsy thing you can do on your own (though it can be crowded). The port has a nice setting and there's a beach within walking distance (though you have to pay, didn't see how much). The vendors are pushy and people do follow you around, I can see how that would creep some people out. But the island is VERY green, not a barren desert like so many caribbean islands.

So I won't go out of my way to avoid Jamaica on future cruises. It's not like the rest of caribbean is gay friendly.

You're right about that, most of the caribbean is not-pro gay, however Jamaica is well known for a large amount of aggression toward gay people. I really don't see a reason why I should give them any of hard earned cash.

We used to cruise to and vacation on land in Jamaica back in the 1980s. Had many wonderful visits in MoBay, Negril, and Ocho Rios. The food, people and surroundings were great. Things began to change for the worse in the 1990s -- people harrassing us, trying to sell us drugs, following us around, and being threatening. We then searched out and found other places in the Caribbean we enjoyed more and stopped going to Jamaica. It's very sad, but we do not find Jamaica worth visiting any longer -- by ship or otherwise. Truly wish it was not so.

I agree. We use to go to Jamaica for two week vacations as well in the 8o's. Won't even get off a cruise ship to visit Jamaica for several hours now due to the same things you mentioned...

• 2 months later...

So as I was looking for things to do in Jamaica I came across the MANY news reports and reviews of how dangerous it is for gay people to visit, and or live there. As this is the first port on a longer cruise I was excited to go someplace new and get off the ship. I sent a message to Margaritaville asking if a gay couple would be comfortable at the Ocho Rios location. It has been several days without a response.

I really don't want to spend my money with people that advocate violence against ANY particular group, but thought that spending money at an American owned bar wouldn't be that bad. I am eager to hear their response. Although, I have the feeling that we will be spending that day on board.

So as I was looking for things to do in Jamaica I came across the MANY news reports and reviews of how dangerous it is for gay people to visit, and or live there. As this is the first port on a longer cruise I was excited to go someplace new and get off the ship. I sent a message to Margaritaville asking if a gay couple would be comfortable at the Ocho Rios location. It has been several days without a response.

I really don't want to spend my money with people that advocate violence against ANY particular group, but thought that spending money at an American owned bar wouldn't be that bad. I am eager to hear their response. Although, I have the feeling that we will be spending that day on board.

I wonder if the establishment is a franchise owned by Jamaican folks.

Gambee - I have not yet determined if it is locally owned. I have not heard back from them in regards to my recent email.

If you plan to be affectionate I would really consider not going, there is really no reason why should put yourself in danger during your vacation.

Archived