Yet another sad reason we should avoid Jamaica..

shepp

Beg to differ. While other Caribbean countries are homophobic, the ferocity and frequency of attacks and killings, the lack of an effective official response, and the murderous hatred of dancehall culture do make Jamaica, unfortunately, the worst of the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Jamaica

I agree with you 100%, you misread what I was saying, perhaps I should have written what I meant in more detail. I just said that other Caribbean islands are just as homophobic in their ways meaning they are totally against the gay lifestyle, I didn't say the ferocity and frequency of attacks and killings are equal, those are words you placed in my mouth.

I am glad we think alike!:) I agree, Jamaica is the worst.

I visited Ocho Rios and could not believe the repulsive, rude, aggressive, illegal behavior. I, along with most everyone else I could see attacked in the "mandatory market place" exit at Duns River Falls, including children. But also on the street when entering the Margaritaville.

"Hey man, you want some ganja, other drugs? Girls? I got girls, my sister is a hot 16 year old"... When I shook my head and kept on walking, I heard "Oh, my bad man, you like boys.. I can bet you a boy, <laugh, laugh, laugh by him>". REALLY uncomfortable, and I'm from DC, we know how to handle street harassment. I knew better than to even mention it to the police officer standing at on the sidewalk outside, as they are usually corrupt as well.

Want to hear a Very Sad Fact? I'm not a very religious man, but Jamaica is the most religious island in all of the Caribbean with more churches per capita of all islands! (Catholic and Baptist).

Just goes to show you hypocrisy lives everywhere.

I visited Ocho Rios and could not believe the repulsive, rude, aggressive, illegal behavior. I, along with most everyone else I could see attacked in the "mandatory market place" exit at Duns River Falls, including children. But also on the street when entering the Margaritaville.

"Hey man, you want some ganja, other drugs? Girls? I got girls, my sister is a hot 16 year old"... When I shook my head and kept on walking, I heard "Oh, my bad man, you like boys.. I can bet you a boy, <laugh, laugh, laugh by him>". REALLY uncomfortable, and I'm from DC, we know how to handle street harassment. I knew better than to even mention it to the police officer standing at on the sidewalk outside, as they are usually corrupt as well.

Want to hear a Very Sad Fact? I'm not a very religious man, but Jamaica is the most religious island in all of the Caribbean with more churches per capita of all islands! (Catholic and Baptist).

Just goes to show you hypocrisy lives everywhere.

How has this happened to what was once a delightful place filled with wonderful people? When I used to vacation in jamaica in the 1970s and early '80s it was such a great place. Does the government even care?

Hi

I'm not use to post , but that subject remember when we dock in january 2010. I was walking with my BF and one guys ask me where was our wifes. I just answer that she was to scare to visit Jamaican and they let us go. Theey was always touching my arm when i walk to stop me.

And i don't realy bother with them. One guys offer us bear for our boddy and drugs for our mind. I just took one bear.

How has this happened to what was once a delightful place filled with wonderful people? When I used to vacation in jamaica in the 1970s and early '80s it was such a great place. Does the government even care?

The government is not in control of the island for the most part. The police are very corrupt so there is no hope of gaining control. It should not be any surprise that the island is very religious mostly catholic and baptist and homophobic. Those two religions actively condemn GL people. Being homophobic and religious go together.

The government is not in control of the island for the most part. The police are very corrupt so there is no hope of gaining control. It should not be any surprise that the island is very religious mostly catholic and baptist and homophobic. Those two religions actively condemn GL people. Being homophobic and religious go together.

I know tons of religious people who are not homophobic. I think if might be more fair to say that religious zealots (fundamentalists) are more homophobic than mainstream religious folks.

Let's not for get Muslims. If you want to discriminate, there's no finer religion. It's the only religion where it's illegal to convert from it to another religion.

I know tons of religious people who are not homophobic. I think if might be more fair to say that religious zealots (fundamentalists) are more homophobic than mainstream religious folks.

Yes, that would be true. I stand corrected.

Yes, that would be true. I stand corrected.

Thanks. I only raised it because my mother in law, who is a devout Roman Catholic, has a gay son whom she cruises with. Seems the intelligent, mainstream religous folks have figured out that God doesn't really approve of his followers discrimating against his children. Only God has the right to discrimanate against his children, and guess what, he doesn't!

Hello All,

I'm new to this space. It's a good and important forum.

With respect to the deep seated discrimination and homophobia within Jamaica specifically and what was suggested in other regions of the Caribbean - I am in complete agreement that these areas should be avoided and these countries should not benefit from "gay $$$" until some high level corrective action is taken in safeguarding LGBT tourists but also to protect the rights of their own LGBT citizens. The taunting and harassment experienced by LGBT tourists is not as severe as the treatment experienced by the natives/citizens of these countries - treatment that often ends in the violent rape of lesbians and trans-gender individuals but also the murder of LGBT citizens - crimes that are rarely investigated/rarely prosecuted. Although this fact is obvious to some of us - it only serves to remind as that as US citizens - the fight to eradicate this type of criminal behavior through the years has been largely successful in this country with quite a distance to go I may add - however, the war to do so in other areas of the world, specifically in developing nations, is in its infancy (code word here: 'developing').

Sadly, discrimination is not something easily fought/eradicated and is something rather complex. I remember "coming out" back in the eighties and although I understood then that the great US of A wasn't necessarily the most accepting place for many, women and blacks in my POV personally, the homophobia I would face within my own community was another daunting issue inside of a community that was having its own growing pains after the civil rights movement. But what I wasn't prepared for was the discrimination within the LGBT community itself and when I say discrimination I am speaking specifically racial discrimination. That was something I will never forget whether it was something as superficial as an awkward visit to a gay/lesbian bar to not seeing myself reflected in gay publications, literature, art etc. These days when the 'community' speaks of diversity, it is referring to Bears versus Chelsea/muscle queens versus drag queens versus class differences, etc - often not necessarily referring to inclusion with respect to race or gender. Apologies for being long-winded but in other words, what I'm trying to say is no group is exempt from discriminating/discrimination - and this is real. What's going on in Jamaica needs to stop - without question - and threatening them by not giving them the gay dollar is not nearly enough. But its been over twenty years since my coming out and although some things have improved for many in the LGBT community - to me it's obvious that some things remain the same.

• 11 months later...

So I have just read up on the Jamaica Homophobia. I am a little concerned. We are meeting some friends from Germany to go on a cruise over christmas. We already booked an excursion in Ochos Rios, and plan on going, but I dont plan on giving the local shop vendors or taxi drivers any of my $$. If we enjoy cruising we will probably avoid any jamaica stops in the future though.

We have also sworn off any cruise stopping at a Jamaican port. Jamaica is actually a beautiful island, and its a shame that homophobia, drugs, prostitution etc ruined it. And it's tolerated by law and local authorities. Not a place we want our $$$ to go.

So I have just read up on the Jamaica Homophobia. I am a little concerned. We are meeting some friends from Germany to go on a cruise over christmas. We already booked an excursion in Ochos Rios, and plan on going, but I dont plan on giving the local shop vendors or taxi drivers any of my $$. If we enjoy cruising we will probably avoid any jamaica stops in the future though.

You still can cancel without any cost to you. We did Cunard there in 2006. We went to Montego Bay. We did a "resort" excursion. The resort was rather lowbrow. It catered to really rough looking Europeans. My partner & I did travel with this German woman, who definately was uncomfortable with how the resort was. We watched each others belongings if we or her went swimming. We then traveled into town. What a dump. Next time if there's a Jamaica stop, we'll do the ship spa & relax.

Let's not for get Muslims. If you want to discriminate, there's no finer religion. It's the only religion where it's illegal to convert from it to another religion.

I know many a Muslim who has no issue with gay people. And mainly Muslim Istanbul is a safe and welcoming place so I might suggest that you are using the same broad brush that causes so many misconceptions about gay people all over the world.

I know many a Muslim who has no issue with gay people. And mainly Muslim Istanbul is a safe and welcoming place so I might suggest that you are using the same broad brush that causes so many misconceptions about gay people all over the world.

Hate to tell you, but I don't see too many Buddist terrorists out there. I'd still be careful in Instanbul. Turkey is getting more "religious" in their government. I think things will change for the worse for gays there. Trust me the Muslims in Europe certainly aren't our friends, either. Remember there are "no" gays in Iran?

Hate to tell you, but I don't see too many Buddist terrorists out there. I'd still be careful in Instanbul. Turkey is getting more "religious" in their government. I think things will change for the worse for gays there. Trust me the Muslims in Europe certainly aren't our friends, either. Remember there are "no" gays in Iran?

Perhaps not - but as we have seen there are plenty of terrorists out there who are not muslim - in the USA, Canada, Finland, etc.

The jist of what I was saying is you are stereotyping and being discriminatory (and you did again by commenting about "Muslims in Europe" - there is much more to Europe than Iran and I would think a Muslim in, say London, England would take umbrage to your comment.)

Archived