December 14 - 21, 2010 - SeaDream II

mimito4

Oh yes, we do have Trader Joe's in the Southeast! There's one in Chapel Hill, one in Cary, and one in Raleigh. I also think there are 2 in Charlotte. Love them! They have the neatest things.

Shhh ... don't tell DJ's DH or he will stop stuffing the olives. Seriously, we don't have one in the Piedmont area:rolleyes:.

I suspect Teresa is having breakfast and preparing for re-entry into the real world. Looking forward to her photos and of course another post!

here in England we have horrible snow - the Fedex and UPS drivers are all staying home - which is depressing if you are running a mail order company!

I "need" to be back on SD soon - sob ..... I think my health plan should allow for it ... would save them so much in blood pressure medication - mmmm but then there's the liver damage with 24/7 champagne ... ok .. might not be a plan then

I do think if you and Seadream "fit" well together it is a definite addiction - no chance of escape ...... I adored every minute of it ....

sigh

Joanna

Shhh ... don't tell DJ's DH or he will stop stuffing the olives. Seriously, we don't have one in the Piedmont area:rolleyes:.

I suspect Teresa is having breakfast and preparing for re-entry into the real world. Looking forward to her photos and of course another post!

While its never the same as Zoltan's or Clint's hand-stuffed olives, Lowe's has the blue-cheese stuffed olives also.

Hope Mimi doesn't suffer too much from re-entry into the real world and can't wait to see her next posting.

FT

Kerplunk! Reality picked us up and dropped us hard in rainy San Juan. Ugh.

We're struggling with the transition, but to help a little, my Don thought to grab the bottle of champagne found in our room on embarkation, and which we never opened. And so here I sit on the bed in our La Concha Renaissance hotel room, SD champagne in hand, recalling a few memories while they're fresh.

DJ, thanks for posting that darling picture of the crew at the splash. I have several like that one, and yes, they were that cute. We so loved that day. The weather was glorious, and the crew even more delightful than usual (if that's possible), all while providing that signature SD service.

Before I get to those things I love, I must assert the the full bragging rights of SD II passengers and crew.

Are you ready?

Eric Clapton's yacht was cozied up to us all day and night in St. Norman. Darn that lovely crew. Word must have gotten around that I'm a retired groupie (coughcoughstalkercoughcough) 'cause no one told me until that night. Oh well, I did run out and brace my camera on that gorgeous wooden rail in lieu of a tripod to try and capture a decent night shot. We'll see how that turned out.

A thrilling moment for sure.

I like that the little Thai spa girls never once try to sell you products. I gave up spa services years ago on cruises because that aggravated the daylights out of me.

I like those little Thai spa girls. Period. I've had the real thing in Thailand, and as my Don says, real Thai massages are so rough as to resemble big time wrestling. The SeaDream girls do more fusion (well, at least if you choose the fusion), which seems to be more Swedish with some Thai throw in. I suppose so you don't think they're sissies. They're really like strong little monkeys, climbing a little on you and using their strong little hands.

Glorious! Don't skip this even though it's not cheap. Budget for one spa service, at least.

I like EVERY SINGLE crew member. I'm hesitant to mention actual names (though I will anyway) for fear that I will forget someone. Here goes:

When your stateroom attendant grabs you and hugs you (a real snug one) to tell you goodbye, like our Babylyn did this morning, you know you've found home.

When you're trying to thank Nicholas for always taking such good care of you, and instead, he says, "thank you Mrs. So&so for your always big smiles," well. . .

I like Silvio for his mischievous attitude served up with fabulous service. I've got a great picture demonstrating this.

I like Jamie & Christophe. . .class acts, all the way.

I like the serious, diligent guys, too. Peter--always perfect. Now here's where I hate myself. The other "serious" waiter who took such awesome care of us most every morning, I cannot for the life of me remember his name. I hope if any SD management reads this they will just know of whom I speak. My apologies, big time.

I like Goran. Yes. Perfect. I inadvertently put him in a bad spot, and made him sweat, and bless him, he came through with flying colors. Fortunately I realized the error of my ways before he had to put "the dumb customer" first. Not a biggie, but since I was new to the Splash, I didn't realize they were standing with the trays of champagne preparing to go in the surf for the show, so I said, "oh, so the champagne is here, may I have?"

I spot his dilemma rather quickly and backed off (they were timing it and wanted us to go in the surf to get it along with the caviar). He kept saying, "no, Mrs., it's ok, here you can have. . .". So sweet. I assured him I wanted to wait.

I like the other passengers. We'll most definitely stay in touch with new friends, and hope they'll do the same. Intelligent, charming, kind, well read, well traveled, kind to crew, humanitarian types. The kind with whom we were honored to break bread and share a few toasts and a ton of laughs.

For me, it's all about the people, and later perhaps i'll share some stories.

Pictures and perhaps more after the wrapping paper is in the trash and family has been well fed for Christmas. In the meantime, happy holidays to all.

Thanks for sharing your "Likes" with us Teresa.

Amazing how many on your list are similar to those on our list.:p

Glad you had such a wonderful trip ... what a perfect way to get into the holiday mood. I am sure the photo did not do the day justice!

Wishing you a smooth and gentle re-entry:D!

Looking forward to more after Christmas!

First off, thanks for all your kind comments and encouragement. You've all made the "reporting" fun for sure.

Winding up the vacation. . .still in rainy San Juan. We leave at 4:30 today to make our way home. Certainly wish now we had flown home yesterday, but when using miles for tickets you have to take what is available. Besides, we were hoping for sunshine to stretch the love out. Oh well, not to be.

I highly recommend the La Concha Renaissance. Very Latino chic. Makes one feel either like a young hip creature or a washed up old one. Your pick. It's all in perception. ;)

Last night we ate at the Rojo Vieja, a small, unassuming, but very authentic Puerto Rican restaurant a few blocks from the hotel. The hotel bartender recommended it, and we concur.

While I'm remembering, and since I don't take notes, I wanted to give a few more details.

First, so as not to be thought us as a paid cheerleader, or worse yet, an unpaid one, while we loved practically EVERYTHING about SeaDream, there was one biggie that I think needs immediate attention.

The down pillows died a long time ago, and need a proper burial.

Seriously.

Quantity of flat, skinny down pillows do not compensate for quality of a couple of fluffy delicious properly filled pillows.

Yes, I am a pillow snob.

And a linen snob. And a bed/mattress snob. There could be some improvement overall in this area to really enhance the luxury experience.

Everything else? AWESOME.

The down pillows died a long time ago, and need a proper burial.

Seriously.

Quantity of flat, skinny down pillows do not compensate for quality of a couple of fluffy delicious properly filled pillows.

Yes, I am a pillow snob.

And a linen snob. And a bed/mattress snob. There could be some improvement overall in this area to really enhance the luxury experience.

Everything else? AWESOME.

I'm allergic to down - so I always have the "hypoallergenic" alternative and ask for "extra" pillows. I hate fluffy pillows! so wouldn't like fat pillows -- Perhaps a "pillow selection"?

Safe travels back . . . did you bring home a "please make up room sign" -- I did, but mine isn't working. Wonder why?

FT

FT, totally agree about a pillow menu, and they do allow you to pick. My point is that if you're going to offer down, as well they should, and do, then it should be properly filled down. Which, of course, is not fat, but rather fluffy, allowing one to nuture it into a personal shape, thickness, etc.

Like I said, I'm a pillow snob. :cool:

A few more things to report, unrelated to pillow-talk ;):

There were only 66 passengers, 2 of which were young extremely well behaved Brazilian children. There were 3 or 4 delightful 18-20ish year old Mexican young people. Again, well behaved, charming and fun.

We never once had a problem getting a Bali bed, any kind of table we wanted or anything. It really did feel like private yachting (as though I've had so much experience. Please. :p)

Speaking of Bali beds, we did get rained out the night we had reserved the forward bed, and the remaining nights were reserved. We opted not to go with any of the side beds. There will be a next time. No doubt.

The captain was new. The chef was new. Not sure if that's worthwhile info, just a FYI.

7 days is not long enough for the Caribbean. Note to self: check on the 9 days next time.

As for Oceania Jeff, not only were he and his girl Donna totally delightful, he validated in so many ways our opinion about SD. Not just the fact that he chose SD for a personal vacation, while the world is likely his oyster, at least as far as cruises go, but he said numerous times how SD has the "barefoot" Caribbean experience down. Like us, they loved everything, and he's a tough critic, I bet.

It's clear that he loves his work, as well he should because both Oceania and Regent are great lines, and it was fun to pick his brain, but he was always very appropriate so as not to be seen on the clock. Rather he was a great SeaDream cheerleader, which I though was most classy. I believe he told us he had worked with Bob Lepisto at Seabourn years ago. I do know that he shared an extremely lovely bottle of wine with us one night, which came to him courtesy of Mr. Lepisto.

Thank you, Jeff, and Mr. Lepisto.

Welcome to the ranks of unpaid SD Cheerleaders!:p

The Executive Chef is the same chef we had on the crossing. Chef Erwin.:D

I actually love the Frette linens on SD. We have the bed made up English style, flat sheet, blanket, flat sheet as I am not a duvet fan.:rolleyes:

As for the pillows ... DJ's DH and I request extra pillows of different kinds (down, synthetic down, etc) so we create our own pillow menu!:eek:

The down pillows died a long time ago, and need a proper burial. :::snip::: Yes, I am a pillow snob. quote]

LOL Teresa! I am too and I'm also a down pillow fan, so you're not alone! ;)

I always ask for extra pillows when we book and that takes care of the "too flat" down pillow issue, but I do agree it would be nice to have some that were a bit 'fluffier'. Not to the point of suffocation, just a bit more head and neck supportive.

Thanks for all your "reporting" Teresa - it was really a fun read. I'm glad you had a great time and it's good to see you've become a real SD fan like the rest of us! :D

Just a quickie before my slaving begins. . .more to come.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010074.jpg

Enjoying this perfectly fine cocktail on a bali bed with St. Barts in the background. . .

but then Zoltan brought this more elaborately decorated drink for my "tastes and my pictures."

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010077.jpg

OK gang, wrapping paper is in the recycle bin, house is (mostly) clean from the festivities, so now let's get back to SeaDreaming.

As promised, you'll see that I am not all talk, I come with pictures, too.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010040.jpg

Let's start with Cruise Critic friends. 1st row left to right--Louis, Matthew (lurkers, now hopefully they will start posting), and yours truly. 2nd row left to right - Barry, Paula (pausulli), Christofe, my Don.

This was Louis and Matthew's 5th SD and they are on-board right now. The brats. They were doing a B2B.

veve09, I have a darling picture of you and Nate, and would love to post it, but would want your permission first. May I?

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010100.jpg

Our beloved Zoltan going about his (good) work.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010098.jpg

Sweet Nicholas and me. When I thanked him for his wonderful, caring service, he thanked me for my smiles. I love him. He's the one who was on the Crystal crossing with us a couple of years ago.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010114.jpg

The Bad Boys. . .Randy, the good-looking honeymooner (sorry, forget his name), Don, Rob, with fun Roland, the bartender extraordinaire.

Speaking of Roland, ala Tom Cruise Cocktail bartender. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010104.jpg

DJ, surely you didn't think I was finished. I'm just getting started. Problem is, real life does intrude at times, as you well know.

So, where was I? Continuing in no particular order. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010045.jpg

View from somewhere on our lost adventure in St. Barts

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010085.jpg

Norman Island

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010084.jpg

The top of the hill at Norman Island

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010083.jpg

The reward for taking the walk to the top of the hill at Norman Island. This is the other side.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010086.jpg

Don resting after the walk at Norman, or was it after drinking too many painkillers??

JeffDonnaTDonRobandRandybyDonna.jpg

This was taken with Donna's camera and here is Rob, Donna, (Oceania) Jeff, me, Randy, Don. I believe we dined outside every night other than 2, the first night and one night when it rained.

JeffDonnaTandDonbyDonna.jpg

Jeff, Donna, Don and me. Yes, she is that pretty. And if she weren't so very lovely and nice (as in REAL), I would love to hate her. Instead, I just love her. Jeff's not as pretty as Donna, but he is gorgeous. He could make people laugh at a funeral. He's that good. We've been e-mailing each other tons, making our way back to reality while trying to slow down the crash and burn. :(

I'm thinking it's dangerous to do SeaDream right before the holidays, so then you get the double whammy of post vacation blues AND post holiday blues. Could be very SCARY.

OK, more pictures. . .less talk.

TJeffandyoungstersbyDonna.jpg

Loved the diversity on SD. These were the delightful young people (brothers and cousins) from Mexico City with Jeff and me. Donna and I liked that Enrique was a Barry Gibbs look-a-like. He was too young to even know who that was. This picture is courtesy of Donna.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010106.jpg

Disco night

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010137.jpg

A favorite - sweet Louis. Like I said earlier, this brat is still on the yacht.

. . .more later.

Thanks all.

Now continuing on with a brief break from people to see some examples of that fabulous SD FOOD and the glorious presentations. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010025.jpg

Next to the Grand Marnier souffle, this 24k molten chocolate cake (or was it 18k or 14k. . .I forget ;)) was my fav dessert. Heavenly!

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010042.jpg

the beautiful and tasty fillet of sole

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010071.jpg

I bet our food was every bit as wonderful as what our neighbor, the Russian billionaire Abramovich, was eating on his Luna.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010032.jpg

I know with certainty that the food was every bit as good as on the Crystal Serenity, and that's saying a lot because Crystal's cuisine is to-die-for. These pictures were taken at St. Barts. I think the other large ship is a Windstar. You can really appreciate the size of the "little" private yacht, the Luna, when compared to the large ships. It holds its own, no?

And that brings up a point. I love different lines for different reasons, but I do know that I have no desire to cruise Crystal in the Caribbean. Like I've said in several different ways after having first-hand experience, SD HAS.THE.CARIBBEAN.DOWN. The way it should be experienced.

Archived