Halifax What not to miss

Just booked our next cruise on Carnival Glory for next June. We go to Halifx and I am starting to reserch things to do. In the past this board has given great advise so I'm counting on it again. What do I not want to miss while we are there? I think we are there from 8 am to 4. Any ideas?

Just booked our next cruise on Carnival Glory for next June. We go to Halifx and I am starting to reserch things to do. In the past this board has given great advise so I'm counting on it again. What do I not want to miss while we are there? I think we are there from 8 am to 4. Any ideas?

Hi fish, don't forget to do PeggyCoves Lighthouse. Its a 1 hr ride out there, but worth it. Just came back from a 9 day cruise there in Oct, was on the Explorer. The ports we saw were Portland & Bar Harbor Maine, St. John, Halifax and Boston. Be sure when you go, to eat one of them lobster rolls and or lunches.

Virginia

Hi: It's good to plan ahead. There is lots of information right here on the Ports - Canada page. Just look for the search area near the top on the right.

However we'll start with this. Tourists like Peggy's Cove, the fabulous Halifax waterfront, the Maritime Museum (especially the Titanic section - there are artifacts from the Titanic, including a deck chair), seafood restaurants and pubs.

Here is one thread to check: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1248505

Halifax is fine for just walking around the city. Or you can rent a car and get out into the countryside (Peggy's Cove, etc.). You can also take a tour and there are many private operators mentioned on previous threads.

Also check out novascotia.com and come back here with more questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Suzmate, Do you know is they will ship items to your home address? Just happens that I have a small pewter collections. And it is very hard to find around where I live.

Peggys Cove question, Does anyone know of a local tour company rather than doing one from the ship?

Suzmate, Do you know is they will ship items to your home address? Just happens that I have a small pewter collections. And it is very hard to find around where I live.

Peggys Cove question, Does anyone know of a local tour company rather than doing one from the ship?

I am not a fan of cruise ship tours or bus tours in general, but our we LOVED our Peggy's Cove Ship tour (Peggy's Cove & Fishing Village $59.) Peggy's cove was awesome and the bus portion was so interesting. Here is my review of our Sept Explorer Cruise on RCI.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282536

• 1 month later...
We did Peggy's Cove in am combo with the Hop On Hop Off Bus.Even had time to get a quick lunch back on board the ship

We had signed up for this tour on our Sept, 2011 cruise...but for some reason they have cancelled this combination. We are now trying to figure out what is our best second deal!:confused:

For May I have a shore excursion booked & paid for where I will "accept the queen's Shilling" and enlist in the Queen Victoria's redcoat army. I'll help defend the fort ! Defend from what ? I don't know but watch out where you throw that trash...I'll be watching.

Hopefully I will be afforded the opportunity to learn the behind the scenes story of the Citadel.

• 2 weeks later...

Also sailed the Glory to Canada last June. If you like history, The Citadel is a good stop.

There is a cannon shooting each day at noon. The cab fare was a set $10 fee, if I recall correctly.

Also at the pier itself, along with the shops, is Pier 21 which tells the history of Canadian immigration. Very similiar to Ellis Island. A good choice if you get back to to pier early.

Archived