Jeans and a tee in MDR on the first night?

deneen716

Technically t-shirts are not supposed to be worn at all in the evening in any restaurant or public area. Will they allow you to eat in the MDR on the first evening in one? Probably. Maybe. Maybe not. It appears the only consistent thing about HAL dress code enforcement is inconsistency.

We will be in our travel clothes on the first night onboard. Can we wear a cruiseline tee and a nice pair of jeans in the MDR?

Are you already expecting that your luggage will go errant and be missing? Otherwise, why not just change.

On our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise we did not get our luggage until after the lifeboat drill. Since we had 5:45 dinning we were hard pressed to get 4 suitcases unpacked and change for dinner in a short time. But we managed. (SO much for this new system where you are supposed to get your luggage quicker.)

You will be fine in jeans and a t-shirt on the first night.

Since my boys and my husband do not care to dress up while on vacation they ate in the Lido most of the time so as to honor the dress code (no shorts or t-shirts after 5). On the occassion that they wanted to eat at the Canaletto, Tamarind or in the MDR they dressed up at least in dockers and a nice button down shirt. Even so on formal evening my husband felt out of place simply walking to the Lido. Personally, I don't like to travel in jeans, I don't find them very comfortable and it is easy to wear a nice top in place of a t-shirt.

diane

... to honor the dress code (no jeans or t-shirts after 5).
Jeans are allowed. It's just tees and shorts that aren't allowed in the MDR (and discouraged everywhere) in the evening according to the dress code. However, enforcement is nearly nil.

I hate to sound eliteist (ok, I really don't hate it, but I don't like to admit it either) BUT...

If you prefer to remain in your casual clothes, there are other dining options available to you. As noted, there is almost always a barbeque of some kind in the Lido area, and if for some reason there isn't, then the Lido itself will be open. Room service is also available, and features the full MDR menu during dinner hours. You can dine on your own balcony if you have a suitable one, or on the open deck aft of the Lido if your cabin is convenient to it. I've enjoyed several alfresco meals on the Promenade deck as well.

The formal Dining Room is meant to be... formal. If you're not in the mood for a formal dining experience (perfectly understandable), why subject yourself to one?

That said, it's doubtful that you'll be turned away if you look clean and presentable, although technically HAL's "casual" dress code calls for collared shirts and long slacks (not jeans) for men. The rules tend to be looser for women; fashion jeans are probably fine for Smart Casual nights. Athletic-type t-shirts, sweats, and shorts are not appropriate for the MDR.

Just the $0.02 of a hidebound traditionalist. :)

We will be in our travel clothes on the first night onboard. Can we wear a cruiseline tee and a nice pair of jeans in the MDR?

Yes you'll be fine. Last two cruises we didn't get our luggage until after dinner. Lots of people will still be in travel wear.

... As noted, there is almost always a barbeque of some kind in the Lido area, and if for some reason there isn't, then the Lido itself will be open. .....

....The formal Dining Room is meant to be... formal. If you're not in the mood for a formal dining experience (perfectly understandable), why subject yourself to one?......

Uh? There may be a barbeque once per cruise or cruise leg. The Lido buffet is open for dinner every night with the possible exception of the barbeque.

The MDR is a formal dining room, but dress is only formal a couple of nights per week. Other nights are smart casual and smart casual includes a fairly wide range including jeans, khaki slacks, polos, nice women's tees and sweaters in cool climates.

J jr. and I board wearing jeans or casual slacks and knit polos. That puts us in the lower part of the evening casual range just in case luggage arrives late. It never has.

Since we arrive the day before the cruise having appropriate clothing for the first dinner is not an issue. We go to the ship in comfortable clothing that's also suitable for the first dinner. The only time you'll see either of us in jeans on a cruise is the final day as we sometimes fly home in them. Of course we also only cruise warm climates like the Caribbean so I can't say how we might dress for say Alaska.

Archived