Jeans and a tee in MDR on the first night?

deneen716

We will be in our travel clothes on the first night onboard. Can we wear a cruiseline tee and a nice pair of jeans in the MDR?

"T" shirt can mean many different things. The ones with logos tend to be more casual. My Dh often wears J Crew T shirts (solid color) on smart casual evenings.

We don't wear out travel clothes to dinner as they are typically sweats. We do carry a change of clothes for dinner in our carry on bag in case our luggage does not arrive in time. We wear our running shoes to travel in as we do not want them lost and my DH would be wearing them to the MDR if our luggage arrived too late.

That said, it's doubtful that you'll be turned away if you look clean and presentable, although technically HAL's "casual" dress code calls for collared shirts and long slacks (not jeans) for men. The rules tend to be looser for women; fashion jeans are probably fine for Smart Casual nights. Athletic-type t-shirts, sweats, and shorts are not appropriate for the MDR.

Just the $0.02 of a hidebound traditionalist. :)

For this mass-market (becoming MORE mass-market as time passes) cruise line, jeans are not forbidden for gentlemen on Smart Casual nights.

AG

You'll be wearing nice jeans, how about a nice short sleeved (not T-shirt) shirt? After all you want to look decent for your boarding photo![/quote]

Contrary to popular belief, there is NO obligation/duty to wait in a line(up) during embarkation in order to have a "boarding photo" taken! One is free to bypass this "event", (whether one looks "decent" or not)!;)

Maybe it's just me, but after getting on the ship and getting into our stateroom and putting things away, including unpacking, I'm uncomfortable and can't wait to get into a shower and clean clothes. It takes just as much time to put on nice clothes as it does "more relaxed."

Maybe it's just me, but after getting on the ship and getting into our stateroom and putting things away, including unpacking, I'm uncomfortable and can't wait to get into a shower and clean clothes. It takes just as much time to put on nice clothes as it does "more relaxed."

It's definitely not just you ;) ...

I like to make a clean shirt available (in my carry on, it doesn't take up that much room) because my travel clothes usually feel grimy/sweaty/smelly by dinnertime on that first day. Another option might be to just wear something a bit more attractive than a t shirt to travel in so that you can look good all day. A polo style shirt is just as comfortable as a t shirt!

I hate to sound eliteist (ok, I really don't hate it, but I don't like to admit it either) BUT...

If you prefer to remain in your casual clothes, there are other dining options available to you. As noted, there is almost always a barbeque of some kind in the Lido area, and if for some reason there isn't, then the Lido itself will be open. Room service is also available, and features the full MDR menu during dinner hours. You can dine on your own balcony if you have a suitable one, or on the open deck aft of the Lido if your cabin is convenient to it. I've enjoyed several alfresco meals on the Promenade deck as well.

The formal Dining Room is meant to be... formal. If you're not in the mood for a formal dining experience (perfectly understandable), why subject yourself to one?

That said, it's doubtful that you'll be turned away if you look clean and presentable, although technically HAL's "casual" dress code calls for collared shirts and long slacks (not jeans) for men. The rules tend to be looser for women; fashion jeans are probably fine for Smart Casual nights. Athletic-type t-shirts, sweats, and shorts are not appropriate for the MDR.

Just the $0.02 of a hidebound traditionalist. :)

Seconded -- there are enough alternatives to MDR, so why make an issue

of it.

Archived