Price Drop, but can't use!

I don't understand the problem, I've gotten every price drop since booking on 7/12/10 for our 2/27/11 cruise. It's down about $800/pp.....

That is because you are before final. It becomes an issue after final because in the past, Royal has given some fairly hefty discounts after final payment was due.

I didn't read every answer so not sure if it was mentioned or not. The lower price is it a "Sales Event" if yes then it is for "new bookings only" and other plain reduction or resident, senior, military if you booked prior to May 17th you are eligible for up to 3 days before sailing. If you have not made final then you are eligible no matter when you booked. If after that date then you are out of luck unless there is an upgrade available.

I don't understand the problem, I've gotten every price drop since booking on 7/12/10 for our 2/27/11 cruise. It's down about $800/pp.....

But once final payment date passes, you can't get any more price drops or even OBC because you booked after May 17th. :eek:

:) I have been playing this booking game for awhile. (Even with the airlines but they won't give money back, just a credit) I watch cruise prices like the stock market. They can be one price one day and literally change the next.

Happy sailing!

I think Royal Carribean play mind games to trick people into boooking. Some days there are heaps of cabins on certain cruises then they just disappear. Then they reappear.

I am going to monitor the RCCL website, I know it has to be some sort of pattern to all this price drop mess, I may even wait to book my next cruise after final payment, we will see, I can go anytime and really don’t care what room or location I get, just as long as I am on the ship! I would say for those that do care about room type and location should book when they are able to get what they want and just leave the whole price drop after final payment thing along. RCCL policy is solid no OBC or adjustments after final payment. I did book a cruise for May and when I did book I was happy with the price so if it goes down before final payment then that's great but if it doesn’t then that’s great too. Happy Sailings is what it is all about!

My sentiments as well.

I took the risk of booking flights to Singapore before booking my cruise as I felt the price for a 6 night cruise was too high and the price did come down after final payment for a similar cruise last year.

Fortunately, it paid off as the price came down 4 weeks prior to departure saving us £350 (550 USD).

We got the cabin we wanted, however, the downside was that there was no availability left for MTD, although I am hoping that could be changed on boarding.

Yes - a risky strategy, but it worked in this instance.

Happy Sailings is what it is all about!

Spot on!

I have a question about upgrading after final payment. I am presently in an D2 cabin; there was a pricedrop this weekend for D2 and D1 cabins (Senior rate). If I upgrade to the D1 cabin, which is still less than D2, will i get a refund for the difference or OBC? Hope this question makes sense.

I am looking at an April cruise. Waiting to book for the best price. Silly question I know but how is the best way to look at the inventory of rooms available? Should I just go through the booking process to the point of choosing the room to see the rooms available?

This information could be very handy in planning for the prices.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I do, and I check sometimes twice a day:

Fill in the "find a cruise" form on the home page, including your residence and senior eligibility, if any. Click on the search button. Click on the cruise you want. Add this page to your Favorites. Then, right click on the bookmarked favorite and rename it.

I put in the price I paid followed by the lowest price in that same category: 759_749, for instance.

The prices you see are the lowest available for the category, and THAT'S what you want to track. If that price goes down, then go and check your specific category by going in further through the booking process. Your bookmark keeps all the info you filled in the first time: ship, date, senior, residence.

Remember, if the price goes down after final payment you can still ask for an upgrade to a better cabin if it's price is what you paid for yours. After Tuesday specials, if you find your cruise on the special, check the price. Many times that's the new price after the sale.

I have a question about upgrading after final payment. I am presently in an D2 cabin; there was a pricedrop this weekend for D2 and D1 cabins (Senior rate). If I upgrade to the D1 cabin, which is still less than D2, will i get a refund for the difference or OBC? Hope this question makes sense.

No, you never get money back or an obc after final payment, you just get the upgrade. I would look for the highest cabin category at your paid price.

I am tempted about taking advantage of the last minute deals and just booking air ahead of time, but I like to get 2 connecting cabins and they usually sell out. Oh well.

This is one of the disadvantages of waiting to book. If you need a particular configuration of cabins or want to be in a particular area of the ship, late booking makes these options less of a possibility than booking early. So you pay more, but get the cabin(s) you want or need.

Happy Sailing !!

But, you CAN get an upgrade.

Thank yo to everyone who replied to my question. I called my TA this morning and she called RCC. She told me i could upgrade to the D1 cabin, but I would not receive any OBC or refund even though the upgrade is would still be less expensive than the D2. We decided to keep our D2 cabin (basically the same cabin) as we liked that location.

FWIW, We booked on Oct 17, full payment. Price dropped so wifey phoned RCI to see if we could get some reimbursement or a bump up to a balcony. The lady chuckled a little about the bump up and wouldn't do that but gave us $250 onboard credit :D, better than nothing!

FWIW, We booked on Oct 17, full payment. Price dropped so wifey phoned RCI to see if we could get some reimbursement or a bump up to a balcony. The lady chuckled a little about the bump up and wouldn't do that but gave us $250 onboard credit :D, better than nothing!

It appears that you have done this before final payment is due to the cruise line even though you paid in full. If you make final payment before the due date, then it's just like any other price drop before final payment DATE: you get an obc. It's AFTER the final payment DATE you get the upgrade in lieu of the obc.

It appears that you have done this before final payment is due to the cruise line even though you paid in full. If you make final payment before the due date, then it's just like any other price drop before final payment DATE: you get an obc. It's AFTER the final payment DATE you get the upgrade in lieu of the obc.

Ah, O.K. This is my first cruise, my wife's second. Don't know all the ropes yet :)

there is a huge price drop for my cruise. i booked before the change of policy and they will not honor it because it is "Special"

I tried to get the adjustment also on this cruise but it being a special holliday sailing they say it dosn't qualify! The price held steady like in stone untill a couple of weeks ago and since then has dropped like a rock! They push onboard booking but if you are flexible and wait it appears to be the best deals! I am never going to book a cruise in advance again as we were told that if the price dropped we would get onboard credits but now they say that because of the holliday cruise we can't and I feel that we were taken for a ride (lied to). We are still going to have a great time I"m sure but wont book early again.

You have to watch cabin inventory. I knew there were many cabins left on this ship so that was my clue.

How do you watch cabin inventory? Which website do you use?

Here's what I do, and I check sometimes twice a day:

Fill in the "find a cruise" form on the home page, including your residence and senior eligibility, if any. Click on the search button. Click on the cruise you want. Add this page to your Favorites. Then, right click on the bookmarked favorite and rename it.

I put in the price I paid followed by the lowest price in that same category: 759_749, for instance.

The prices you see are the lowest available for the category, and THAT'S what you want to track. If that price goes down, then go and check your specific category by going in further through the booking process. Your bookmark keeps all the info you filled in the first time: ship, date, senior, residence.

Remember, if the price goes down after final payment you can still ask for an upgrade to a better cabin if it's price is what you paid for yours. After Tuesday specials, if you find your cruise on the special, check the price. Many times that's the new price after the sale.

Truely awesome tip! Wow. Glad I read this thread.

I'm planning on taking a cruise the last week in Feb. Luckily, I'm flexible on which ones. Just want to try RCI, as we did Disney last year and heard RCI is good for kids too.

Have decided to wait until mid-Jan to book. My Mom is on a cruise Jan 17 to 21.

Hoping to have her book while on board.

Thanks for the tips in this thread.

And if you want to get to some of these departure ports last minute for not much money, I like frugaltravelguy.com for tips on accumulating frequent flier miles, which are great for last minute trips.

My sentiments as well.

I took the risk of booking flights to Singapore before booking my cruise as I felt the price for a 6 night cruise was too high and the price did come down after final payment for a similar cruise last year.

Fortunately, it paid off as the price came down 4 weeks prior to departure saving us £350 (550 USD).

We got the cabin we wanted, however, the downside was that there was no availability left for MTD, although I am hoping that could be changed on boarding.

Yes - a risky strategy, but it worked in this instance.

Spot on!

I'm with you, I am booking my air to Rome NOW for our Eastern Med cruise in October of 2011, and will book the cruise 4 weeks prior to departure. The fall is slow season for Med cruises and I have seen the rates drop to ridiculously low last minute rates. So I refuse to pay my money early just to overpay, while the last minute cruisers get onboard for a little of nothing.

If I was traveling during high season, then I wouldn't gamble like this. But low season, it is so worth the risk. Plus I'm not picky on cabins. I'm A OKAY with a inside cabin on deck 2! Pretty soon, they will catch on and offer a better price guarantee option for their customers willing to pay them a year in advance.

But, you CAN get an upgrade.

We booked a JS on the Oasis, the price dropped in half after our final payment, We called and asked to be upgraded to a GS, and the answer was no, We called the Diamond Plus desk, they upgraded us to a Grand Suite, which was still more then what we paid for the JS but no Owner Suites were available. It was not as seamless as you would think but doable.

Archived