Oceania vs Princess "Little Sisters"

AJs Grandpa

Hi Grandpa! Here's a recent thread that discusses the "R" ships of Princess compared to Oceania. There are some interesting tidbits from those who have sailed both lines. Hope it helps with your comparison!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1281710

Thanks--very helpful. Don't know why I couldn't find that thread--I must not have used the magic words when I did my search.

Yes, I you may have read more in than I meant, and I accept your apology.

I am not in the habit of asuming I know the feelings of folks--especially those who are only names in cyberspace. However, I have sometimes seen "unfortunate" threads on CC. (In fact, there is active one on another board right now disparaging an entire ethnic group based on the behavior of a few.) I was simply trying to avoid having this thread head into that direction by referring to "other."

I apologize for not being more clear and thank you for pointing out the erroneous message I may have conveyed.

No apology necessary. I understand. Unfortunately, it isn't just CC where this kind of thing can happen.

I've read all the replies above, read many of the reviews on CC and studied the Ocenia website. the purpose of this post is to summarize what I think I know and get either confirmation or correction from those of you with first-hand knowledge.

First, let's stipulate that Ocenia has better food than Princess and may have better service (While we've always found always overall good service on Princess, there are occasional lapses.) Those can be big pros to try Oceania.

Beyond those somewhat subjective criteria, there are also objective differences between the two lines. I've listed what I have deduced from all my research.

I believe Oceania is different from Princess small ships because Oceania features (in no particular order):

1. Teak furniture on all verandas

2. Refrigerators not standard in all staterooms—available on “first-come; first-served” basis with priority for medication needs

3. No designated formal nights

4. No charge for specialty restaurants

5. Smoking allowed in designated area only

6. Anytime dining only

7. No “typical” ship buffet

8. No pizza, hamburger/hot dog/BBQ grills in pool area

9. No patisserie

10. No charge for cappuccino

11. No “soda card”—all sodas are purchased ala carte

12. Daily tea on deck (vs Princess tea in dining room)

13. All stateroom TVs have DVD

14. No self-service laundry

15. Concierge rooms available

16. Less robust loyalty program

17. No production shows

Two caveats:

1. I'm purposely not saying whether I think the items above are pros or cons. IMHO some are in each camp, while others are irrelevant to me--just different.

2. Again, these are points I think are true. Some came directly from posts; others came from the website. However, I deduced others or found seemingly conflicting information, so I might be wrong.

I hope I can impose on some of you to let me know if my list contains any inaccuracies.

Thank you and Happy Holidays

I noticed a few errors, not that any of them should make or break a decision.

I believe refrigerators are now standard, although it's possible they may not yet have trickled down to the cheapest cabins. We had one in our A3 this summer.

There is a hamburger/hot dog, etc., facility on the pool deck -- Waves. It is open later than the restaurants in case you are late getting back from a tour.

There is a buffet restaurant (which becomes a little more elegant for dinner). For meals, your main choices are the two specialty restaurants, the grand dining room, and Tapas (the buffet) ... and, of course, room service depending on your room category.

Tea is in Horizons.

In the specialty restaurants you will have a reservation for a specific time. The grand dining room and the buffet are "anytime".

There IS a self-service laundry.

I have seen attempts at production shows on Oceania but it is true that on our most recent cruise (July/August) they didn't try. Whether that's a permanent change or not, I don't know.

Mura

IMO, two cruise lines can sail the same exact ships and still be entirely different. The ships are merely the hardware but it's the software that defines a cruise line. The attitude toward their clients, the service, the relationship between passengers and crew, the ambience and feeling aboard, the attention to details, the quality of the food etc. etc. etc. These are where Oceania shines compared to Princess and personally, I would rather sail on a lesser ship operated by Oceania than a nicer one operated by Princess.

I believe Oceania is different from Princess small ships because Oceania features (in no particular order):

1. Teak furniture on all verandas Not that I noticed

2. Refrigerators not standard in all staterooms—available on “first-come; first-served” basis with priority for medication needs Will be standard on the all ships after drydock ....Regatta is due in Jan 2011, other 2 have been done

5. Smoking allowed in designated area only correct only 2 small areas 1 indoor in Horizons 1 outdoors by the pool

7. No “typical” ship buffet not sure what you mean?

8. No pizza, hamburger/hot dog/BBQ grills in pool area Pizza is in the Terrace restaurant

11. No “soda card”—all sodas are purchased ala carte sodas are included

12. Daily tea on deck (vs Princess tea in dining room) afternoon tea is served in Horizon at 4-5pm tea is available all day someplace on the ship

14. No self-service laundry one laundry room on deck 7 with 4 washer dryers tokens are $2. per load soap is included

16. Less robust loyalty program you need 5 cruise to get perks

All other questions are correct

Lyn

There is a hamburger/hot dog, etc., facility on the pool deck -- Waves. It is open later than the restaurants in case you are late getting back from a tour.

Should you sail with Oceania, I recommend you try a hamburger and milkshake at Waves. FANTASTIC :D

Should you sail with Oceania, I recommend you try a hamburger and milkshake at Waves. FANTASTIC :D

Not only the milkshake ... the fruit thingies are also wonderful. I have come to regret that O started making them available.

And the handburgers -- HAMburgers -- are awfully good, with a very nice selection of different types. They used to offer grilled fish at Waves as well, and I rather miss those offerings.

The staff at Waves soon got used to me, two patties (they were beef angus after all!!:):)), no bun,no salad, but sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions with a good serve of french fries on the side. That was a hamburger to wash down with a wonderful thickshake. Sometimes I regretted the two patties, as there was not room for ice-cream to follow.

Archived