Bring Meds on Ship?

fraserswoman

It's fine not to take the meds in their original bottles. My suggestion though is to carry them with you in a carry on and not to check them as you would with other important items such as jewelry and electronics.

If you are flying you don't need the original bottles but it's a good idea to carry with you the information you get from the pharmacy. It's not required and you will probably not have any issues if you don't.

Keith

in the event you need to quickly replace anything you do need the original container or at the very least a copy of the Rx.

SOME drugs are controlled substances and you cannot board a plane without them being in the orginal container( mine is one of them oh joy).

If you are flying to port then kep them in the original containers - you just NEVER know what the TSA will come up with next and you wouldn't want to loose a batch of meds just because one of these uneducated lot decided your nose doesn't fit today.......

If it's injectable insulin, you need to contact the Special Needs department and tell them you'll need a sharps container in your cabin. If it's not there when you board (and it may very well not be as there's so much going on that day), contact your cabin steward or the head of housekeeping (I think) and request one. If your insulin must be kept fully refrigerated, you'll also want to request one of the few small regular fridges. The "fridge" in the cabins is more like a mild cooler and some cabins don't even have those.

beachchick

Since I work for the TSA(and I am far from uneducated, btw), I know that insulin needs to be kept cold. Make sure your cold packs are frozen solid, if possible. If not, you should still be ok because they are for medicinal purposes. However, I don't want you to have any problems. I KNOW you won't have any problems with your insulin or needles.

Our pharmacist kindly made miniature sticker labels for our prescription drugs. We apply the sticker to whatever package fits, removing the required number of pills from a bigger labeled bottle. Our favorite- tiny plastic ziploc pill bags from Kmart, 50 for $2.00. (About 30 average size pills will fit.) Apply the mini label & you're all set!

We have traveled a lot, always putting these in purse or carry-on, no problem from security checks. Two weeks worth of pills can fit in such a small space compared to huge plastic bottles! (We are among those strange people who ONLY take carry-ons, no matter where or how long we're going, so preserving space is a must.)

Sherry

Since I work for the TSA(and I am far from uneducated, btw), I know that insulin needs to be kept cold. Make sure your cold packs are frozen solid, if possible. If not, you should still be ok because they are for medicinal purposes. However, I don't want you to have any problems. I KNOW you won't have any problems with your insulin or needles.

Nope, as the wife of a diabetic, there are hardly any insulins that need to be kept refrigerated today. Most of the common ones that are prescriped can be kept at room temperature for up to 30 days.

Nope, as the wife of a diabetic, there are hardly any insulins that need to be kept refrigerated today. Most of the common ones that are prescriped can be kept at room temperature for up to 30 days.

Thanks for the heads up. I get people telling me that all day, everyday. Very interesting.

The TSA checkpoints are not really an issue for properly labeled meds, but US Customs is.

If you are returning on a cruise that requires you to go through US Customs, be sure that everything is labeled.

My late MIL insisted that it was legal to travel with a 14 day set of pill containers and US Customs took the pills and the containers from her. We had a real worry getting her all the way home with NONE of her medication at hand.

Never had a medication issue with either TSA or US Customs and I've traveled to many places requiring a US Customs check both on cruise ships and flying...I always take the weekly pill case. I did start taking a print out just in case I needed something or to show what the pills are. As a pp stated, there are a few drugs that need the original container. There are many threads on cruise critic about this, so you can do a search if need be.

It's really up to you and what you feel comfortable doing. The only thing I personally would keep in mind is you can always get one TSA or Customs person who does things differently and takes something away from you (no, I'm not saying anyone is uneducated, but in all my traveling, I've had more inconsistencies with TSA than any group of people)...however, medication is never something I've had a problem with. I am anal though and take a print out of the TSA rules with me when traveling...just in case I need to prove my point on something that is allowable in my carry-on...but I digress...

You maybe a wonderful exception but unfortunately you have a lot of collegues who do you no good at all. My last flight in Jan left me arguing with a TSA in Atlanta over my heparin injection for which I even carry a Dr note. Since it too has to be cooled it is in a frio container (also used by Diabetics). He argued it should have been in my freedom baggie and not in my meds baggie with dr certificate that I took out and put into the tray since I was declaring it.

He was getting nasty and insisited I discard it at the check point - now as a foreigner I cannot really risk it or I might find myself in some jail cell these days. I let him have it knowing I would only need it for my return flight and let my insurer deal with it. In this case it wasn't too bad since I had the time to replace it with my insurers help but for someone who needs those meds 24/7 that can be a REAL problem..

I take several prescriptions due to RA. I tired of handling bottles, so here is how I solved it.

I bought small zip loc bags from the craft shop. I place (time consuming at home but save time on the ship) the daily meds in each bag. For example, seven bags for a seven day cruise. I do this for AM and PM. (I also do my husband's meds). The small bags are placed in a larger zip loc bag. On the outside is taped the prescription for each med. I also have on the bag a list of the meds and description of the meds in case I am asked. In addition, we each carry a list with us of our meds.

The large zip loc bags lays flat on the top of our carry-on and is much easier for us than bottles. At night, we just remove our daily bag and the one for the following morning and we are done. No more opening 15 bottles and counting out pills.

One last advantage of the small bags. Your meds are enclosed in a small bag that you can carry with you to breakfast and then trash the bag. No more pill boxes in the pocket.

We have had no problems flying with our meds like this.

Hope this suggestion works for someone.

Shirley

You maybe a wonderful exception but unfortunately you have a lot of collegues who do you no good at all. My last flight in Jan left me arguing with a TSA in Atlanta over my heparin injection for which I even carry a Dr note. Since it too has to be cooled it is in a frio container (also used by Diabetics). He argued it should have been in my freedom baggie and not in my meds baggie with dr certificate that I took out and put into the tray since I was declaring it.

He was getting nasty and insisited I discard it at the check point - now as a foreigner I cannot really risk it or I might find myself in some jail cell these days. I let him have it knowing I would only need it for my return flight and let my insurer deal with it. In this case it wasn't too bad since I had the time to replace it with my insurers help but for someone who needs those meds 24/7 that can be a REAL problem..

You made a huge error in not standing up for yourself.

What is a "freedom" baggie?

I am through trying to defend myself. There are thousands of screeners like me( including an entire airport full where I work) that just want to do the very best they can and want to keep the flying public safe. I know that there are a few bad apples. There are some in every business, including yours, I'll bet. It is unfair to lump us all into one. I can't speak for the screener you encountered. Maybe he was brand new. Maybe he had just gotten chewed out or written up for letting something else get through. Maybe he had been dealing with obnoxious ungrateful people all day and just snapped. Who knows? Was he correct? No, he was not. You should have demanded to speak to a supervisor. In any case, until you have walked in his shoes, you shouldn't judge. Our job isn't nearly as much fun as you might think it is.

The once decent connection had become a rather tight one because it took immigrations almost 85 min then as a foreigner I am not going to pick a fight with ANY one at a US airport if I want to be able to come and go on a regular timeframe.

FREEDOM Baggie is the bag with the 3 oz business - the frequent flyers call it that. However meds do not fall into that catergory so I carry them completely separately in a gallan bag with the Dr. note for ALL my meds. I declare BOTH at the check points since even though the Heparin injection is one of these fancy new retractable jobs it is still a needle so I play by the book and declare it.

That is why I said is is better to keep you pills in the original containers because the rules say if they meds cannot be IDed they may tell you to discard them. However since most of you are US citizens you are not at such a risk if you fight it.

This is our first cruise in Jamuary, I take a lot of meds plus insulin. Do I need to bring all my bottles or is it ok to take just my weekly box.

Thanks for the help....:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since we have no choice but to fly -- all DH's medications (many of them) remain in their original bottles. We have our drug store prepare them in smaller bottles for traveling as some of his medications look like horse pills. All the bottles go into a special small medical bag that our doctor got for us quite a few years ago.

And yes -- a couple of times TSA has opened that medical bag and looked at the prescriptions.

I am diabetic myself and have never had any problems with not taking my medicaition in the origibal bottles. There would be just too much,but I do get a copy of the prescriptions from the doctor as a back up (1) for proof(2) just in case I lose my meds:)

The once decent connection had become a rather tight one because it took immigrations almost 85 min then as a foreigner I am not going to pick a fight with ANY one at a US airport if I want to be able to come and go on a regular timeframe.

FREEDOM Baggie is the bag with the 3 oz business - the frequent flyers call it that. However meds do not fall into that catergory so I carry them completely separately in a gallan bag with the Dr. note for ALL my meds. I declare BOTH at the check points since even though the Heparin injection is one of these fancy new retractable jobs it is still a needle so I play by the book and declare it.

That is why I said is is better to keep you pills in the original containers because the rules say if they meds cannot be IDed they may tell you to discard them. However since most of you are US citizens you are not at such a risk if you fight it.

Thanks. That must be a UK term? We are frequent flyers and have never heard it referred to as that.

• 1 month later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread to get some clarrification.

Dad is coming on this cruise & takes lots of meds. None require needles & none are liquid. We will be flying to/from SJU. From what I have read our safest options are:

1. Put the meds in his regular 7 day planner & bring copies of the prescriptions.

2. Have the pharmacist print lables for baggies.

or

3. Have the pharmacist issues smaller bottles with a 7 day supply.

Even though the cruise is 7 days, I'm thinking we should travel with 8 days worth of meds. Does that sound reasonable?

Archived