Can we Justify a Balcony for Alaska

riddle

We are a couple in late 50's, early 60's. Like to cruise but cannot do it more than once a year prior to retirement. Like everyone these days, we have to watch our money more carefully. Due to my job I can only go the last week in July so any other time is not an option.

I am wondering if it is worth paying almost double to get a balcony for Alaska. We usually book an inside and get an upgrade/upsell to an outside but have only had a balcony once.

I realize a balcony for Alaska is more important than some other itineraries due to the amazing scenery.

Can those of you who have done either an inside or a balcony advise me on whether the great difference in price is really worth it. We are not sedentary people, and really enjoy being out with the other passengers.

If you search this forum, you'll find lots of discussions about this question. Here's a recent example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1313378&highlight=balcony

We recently spent 14 nights in an inside cabin with 4 people on the HAL Amsterdam Alaska cruise. No problem! We always prefer to stay in the cheapest cabin and save our money to spend on excursions.

I am trying to plan an Alaskan cruise vacation as well and was considering the same thing. Have never cruised before (1st cruise in June 2011), and was wondering the same thing. For my Med/ Greek Isles cruise we ARE getting a balcony. But like others have posted, I'm thinking that I would rather spend the money on excursions and a pre/post land vacation in Alaska, rather than a balcony. I'll likely book an inside room, but am nervous about not having at least a window.

You will find many different opinions on this board. Some of them will say "go for the balcony." Just as many will say "go cheap and save the money for excursions." There is no right or wrong answer....only what's right for you.

I always want a balcony....no matter where we sail....because I love the direct access to the outside. However, this past year in Alaska, we sailed southbound on HAL Statendam, and we chose an obstructed view cabin which was a few steps away from their wrap-around promenade deck. This was the least expensive cabin we have ever had and it was a compromise for us. We were spending some major bucks on our land tour and were debating whether to even do the cruise. When we came across a good price on the obstructed view, we decided to go that route.

Once we were on the ship, did I wish we had a balcony? Sure. Did we still have a good experience in our obstructed view cabin? You bet. Since you are seriously questioning whether the balcony is "worth it," I suspect it might not be for you. There are many good viewing areas on the ships, both inside and outside, and since you are active, you may find it more enjoyable to move around.

Alaska is not an inexpensive place to visit and the more popular sightseeing excursions are costly. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they enjoy most and where they want to spend their money.

We've taken 9 Alaska cruises in Inside or Oceanview cabins, but last month did 2 Caribbean cruises with Balconies so now have a good basis for comparison. We discussed this subject last night as we're joining 2 other couples for an Alaska cruise in 2011 and they want Balconies. While we might do it, our first choice will be Oceanview (we'll never take another Inside - "cruising in a closet" is just not for us). The single thing that made our Balconies worthwhile in the Caribbean was having breakfast out there every morning - we spent some sunning and wine-enjoyment time out there as well, but not enough to sway the decision to any degree. The odds of being able to use your balcony very often on an Alaska cruise are just too small to make the extra money worthwhile - unless $$ is not one of your considerations, of course (it isn't a consideration for our friends).

Murray

We had a balcony on our August 2008 Princess Alaskan cruisetour. On the Coral there were "clear" shields set up on the pool decks- to protect passengers I suppose. On this ship there is a forward balcony and an aft balcony open to anyone, but most don't know about them as they are not huge, so they cannot accomodate a really big crowd. I heard about the forward one here at CC- it is just below the bridge and you have to go thru cabin halls on the Baja deck and then thru a door saying "don't open this door". We asked an officer about it and he said it was fine to go there- we spent the glacier bay day there- it was great- there were about 50 of us - the Captain waved to us and the photographer was there to take pictures of us with glaciers right behind us. Later we heard people complaining that there was no where to view without a window or some barrier in front of them. On the day we entered the fjords (an early morning) we had breakfast delivered and sat on our balcony all bundled up- check to see if there will be barrier-free areas on your ship- the weather or time of year may influence this. If you make it to the ship and there are screens, ask an officer for the best viewing areas- they will help you. We had a wonderful time, so will you.;)

IMHO.........

A balcony for Alaska is marvelous. "Nice" (AKA expensive) excursions are even better.

My personal advice is to budget for nice excursions. IF you have enough left over, go for the balcony. I personally would not want to spend all my money on the cabin, only to have walking around the ports be my excursion.

I guess, my "blunt" response is going to be- SINCE you are asking this question and PUT in your comment, the costs??? It seems that is your decision?? IF you were truely OK with this balcony, you wouldn't need to post this to a message board? Do you think you "need" talking into this?

I am one, that will ask the hard questions, so don't be offended- please. Look over the prior discussions, they are many on this board. :)

We had an obstructed oceanview cabin (pretty good ocean view) on our last Alaska cruise If we had simply spent time on our balcony looking at the scenery we would have missed so much.Being on deck and experiencing the scenery in its entirety was wonderful.... and we would have totally missed the whales swimming alongside the ship near Juneau. They were so close to the bow that you had to look down to see them. We were also afraid they would get hit by the ship, but I guess they knew what they were doing.:) They swam along with the ship for quite some time.

Let's look at it from a different prospective.

If this were your very last cruise ever, you can't do any more after this one for what ever the reason. What would you book?

I'd be booking an aft suite. However, there are a whole lot of places I want to see yet, and I work on the assumption that I'll get to see many of them if I watch my spending to some degree when I travel.

Everything comes down to what will you do with the money saved.

For excursions on the trip, saved for another trip, more money in the bank?

Everyone has different vacation and financial goals/burdens.

As nice as balconies are everything you get on them you can get for free with a less than 2' walk up to the upper decks, to the covered lido area, or down to the middle of the ship. You won't be able to do it in your PJs but beyond that you can have it for free. I did had 3 balconies and two inside this past summer, they were nice. I'd likely do it again, my wife felt it was of no value, YMMV. For some cruising is about those private times on the balcony for others like me, its the dining, the ports, fun stuff on the ship. All the rooms could be inside and I'd still sail.

I think you'll love Alaska and still have a good time with an inside.

We are a couple in late 50's, early 60's. Like to cruise but cannot do it more than once a year prior to retirement. Like everyone these days, we have to watch our money more carefully. Due to my job I can only go the last week in July so any other time is not an option.

I am wondering if it is worth paying almost double to get a balcony for Alaska. We usually book an inside and get an upgrade/upsell to an outside but have only had a balcony once.

I realize a balcony for Alaska is more important than some other itineraries due to the amazing scenery.

Can those of you who have done either an inside or a balcony advise me on whether the great difference in price is really worth it. We are not sedentary people, and really enjoy being out with the other passengers.

In general, I think that balconies are a total waste of money designed by the cruise company to extort extra profits from the passengers. Again, IMHO, having a balcony on a cruise where there is nothing to see out the balcony makes no snese.

That said, I would make an exception for an Alaska cruise. There is much to see out of the balcony. For example, I would not have had the opportunity to watch the sea otters in the harbor outside of our ship.

Ultimately, you know your finances and what you may sacrifice for the balcony.

DON

... I would make an exception for an Alaska cruise. There is much to see out of the balcony. For example, I would not have had the opportunity to watch the sea otters in the harbor outside of our ship.

Surprise - the people everywhere there was an open deck or a window had the same opportunity, for free!

We will be going on our first cruise to Alaska in May 2011. We are traveling with another couple and have been "planning" this cruise for years...I have purchased several cruise books (Foder's, etc) and all have said that if you are ever going to get a balcony, Alaska is the place to do it...so yes, we have booked a mini-suite with balcony! My husband suffers from motion sickness so this may be our first and last cruise :eek: I want to make sure I have no regrets...more expensive...YES! We have been saving for years to make this trip possible...I don't plan on buying trinkets but rather have put my $ into the balcony and excursions (HAVE to land on a glacier :D)...there are plenty of opportunities to save $ on excursions (Northern Lights, etc)...you have to be happy with whatever decision YOU make! What is perfect for me may not be perfect for you. Whatever you decide will be right for you and no matter what the decision, it sounds like Alaska will be an awesome experience!

Going on our third cruise to Alaska May 2011. This will also be out third balcony cabin!! We would not do it any other way, and have saved for years to be able to go. Due to disability we will be spending a lot of time in our room and on the balcony, and on the ship rather than heading into all the ports, so this is a very worthwhile expense for us both.

What ever you decide, it will be the right choice for you...enjoy

Hello, I have a friend that went on an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond Princess in an inside cabin. He had a fabulous time and was all smiles when he returned. He said that they spent most of their times up on deck or looking out from deck windows and loved every moment of it.

You did not mention which cruiseline that you were thinking about going on. Perhaps you could find a really good window cabin like the one that cruisinalong mentioned.

If I had to choose between a balcony and taking excursions, I'd pick excursions. They are pricy! (I haven't been to Alaska yet, going next year)

And as one other mentioned, it can get rainy in Southwestern Alaska.

You mention that you have to watch your money more carefully these days. If money is tight, I would opt for an outside cabin instead of the balconey. I've had balcony cabins before and loved cruising that way. However, if money is tight, an outside cabin with a view is still pretty nice compared to an inside cabin. A balcony cabin is almost the cost of two cruises. In my opinion, your money will be better spent on getting an outside cabin with a view and that will free up more money for some great excursions.

At any rate, have a great cruise to Alaska!

However, if money is tight, an outside cabin with a view is still pretty nice compared to an inside cabin. A balcony cabin is almost the cost of two cruises.

Maybe we have been lucky, our balcony prices have been very reasonable. To be fair however I should add that while we have to drive for most of the day, we don't have to fly.

john

I don't always get a balcony, but definitely was required in my book for Hawaii and Alaska. We went to Alaska in late August. We spent much of our time out on the balcony as we had decent weather almost every day. I like to feel, see, and taste the air on the cruise. :eek: Nothing like popping up and popping out when something interesting catches your eye. Grab the video camera and take the shots.

BUT, since you said money is tight, you have some options imo. You can always wait a bit and save for a balcony, but what if "someday you were going to go" never comes? You could do an oceanview and have a decent window. OR, and this is definitely my last choice, you could do an inside and find location close to an open deck easy to get to. My first choice is, if you can possible swing it, go with the balcony - but you have to be in the position to make that choice and not regret spending the money on it. If not, don't.

Hope you get to Alaska in some way. It sure is pretty. I have been once a couple of years ago and we will be going back in July. Booked the airfare today, as a matter of fact! :)

That said, I would make an exception for an Alaska cruise. There is much to see out of the balcony. For example, I would not have had the opportunity to watch the sea otters in the harbor outside of our ship.

OTOH, there is so much one misses when using the balcony. How about all the wildlife and scenery on the other side of the ship that you would never see from your balcony but only from a viewing area on the public decks, usually toward the front of the ship?

If money is 'tight' I would opt for the outside cabin near an area of the ship that has open deck space to sneak out to. If you give us an idea of which line or ship that you are looking at, it might be easier to pick a very nice cabin that will satisfy both your wallet and your sightseeing needs. :)

Archived