Can we Justify a Balcony for Alaska

riddle

To each their but.........

IMHO unless you have a need to be in your cabin quite a bit (perhaps handicapped) there is no reason at all for the balcony. There are so many great locations on all ships, both inside and outside, that allow you the same view as from a balcony. Actually, since you can move around, the views are better from outside of your cabin.

We also spent very little time in our cabin. Let's be honest, all of the cabins are small. Why would you want to stay cooped up in one when you have full run of the ship.

Thanks to all of your for your candid replies. I think that we will opt to forgo the balcony and allocate the funds for excursions instead. I had just started the research for this trip and was not aware of the cost of some of the excursions.

As I said earlier, we are quite able to be up and around the ship as we wish and enjoy being with the other passengers. We will just have to find our favorite nooks.

We had a balcony on our August 2008 Princess Alaskan cruisetour. On the Coral there were "clear" shields set up on the pool decks- to protect passengers I suppose. On this ship there is a forward balcony and an aft balcony open to anyone, but most don't know about them as they are not huge, so they cannot accomodate a really big crowd. I heard about the forward one here at CC- it is just below the bridge and you have to go thru cabin halls on the Baja deck and then thru a door saying "don't open this door". We asked an officer about it and he said it was fine to go there- we spent the glacier bay day there- it was great- there were about 50 of us - the Captain waved to us and the photographer was there to take pictures of us with glaciers right behind us. Later we heard people complaining that there was no where to view without a window or some barrier in front of them. On the day we entered the fjords (an early morning) we had breakfast delivered and sat on our balcony all bundled up- check to see if there will be barrier-free areas on your ship- the weather or time of year may influence this. If you make it to the ship and there are screens, ask an officer for the best viewing areas- they will help you. We had a wonderful time, so will you.;)

we are cruising on the Coral in Sept and are booked on an oceanview, but are seriously considering upgrading to a balcony. In your opinon, what are the best oceanview rooms -I have noticed 2 on the back of Emerald ( E732 and 733) that look that they have access to a small deck on the back, may be unobstructed oceanview, but I wasn't sure. Do you happen to know anything about these? Our other option is upgrading to a balcony, but again weren't sure which the best ones were.

thanks for your help

Thanks to all of your for your candid replies. I think that we will opt to forgo the balcony and allocate the funds for excursions instead. I had just started the research for this trip and was not aware of the cost of some of the excursions.

As I said earlier, we are quite able to be up and around the ship as we wish and enjoy being with the other passengers. We will just have to find our favorite nooks.

Really. Did you spew your hot cocoa all over the monitor when the prices came up? I thought I was gonna die when I first saw them. On the plus side, so many of them are worth every penny.

Smart choice, an excursion not taken because of balcony would be the bad tradeoff, after all everything is available for free on deck. ;)

Our best memories have been from excursions, as nice as the cruise and views have been.

The benefit of being on deck is all those eyes. :) Especially in Glacier Bay, I try to get friendly with the "counter", a person on board, set up with great magnification and expertise. LOADED with experience and information on the details of Glacier Bay.

I have pointed out highlights myself, along with wildlife sightings and even lent my binoculars to others. Everyone can enjoy the added adventures. :)

we are cruising on the Coral in Sept and are booked on an oceanview, but are seriously considering upgrading to a balcony. In your opinon, what are the best oceanview rooms -I have noticed 2 on the back of Emerald ( E732 and 733) that look that they have access to a small deck on the back, may be unobstructed oceanview, but I wasn't sure. Do you happen to know anything about these? Our other option is upgrading to a balcony, but again weren't sure which the best ones were.

thanks for your help

We had a balcony cabin on the Emerald deck and I spent some time on that aft balcony- it was great. When I did our laundry (we had done the tour 1st and had a weeks worth of dirty clothes) I would go out to the rear balcony and hang until it was time to move the clothes to the dryer or fold them. We had our own balcony, the aft balcony and the forward balcony on the Baja deck- we told others about the forward balcony, but they chickened out, because the last sign says No, but the officers all said "go ahead". You know that it is ok when the photographers show up and the Captain waves at you. We spent a ton on that trip- lots more than we normally spend. Extras cost alot as well. Oh, the balconies have no seating- even if they did you couldn't sit and see over the railing anyway. The rear balcony is narrower than the forward one- on the Baja balcony there were about 40 or 50 of us- I was only on the rear one in the evening and never saw anyone else. You will love Alaska!;)

As another poster said, you will likely get a different answer from each person that responds to this question. Only you can answer if a balcony is worth it to you!

For myself, if I can't afford a balcony cabin, I won't cruise until I can.

My first two cruises were in ocean view cabins, and I was very happy and had great cruises. Then for my 3rd cruise I got a really sweet deal for a 5 night cruise for $199 for a mini-suite with a balcony. And I've never looked back, being able to go out onto that balcony in your pjs (11:00 pm at night or 5:00 in the morning with your coffee, hot chocolate or mimosa) just can't be beat. And I've even sat out there just watching the ice floats with sea gulls, or reading a good book. An open deck with lots of folks swarming around isn't my idea of fun. If I miss something on the other side of the ship, oh well, you can't see it all. But then I don't pay the big bucks for all the excursions either. I'm perfectly happy walking around the towns, maybe taking a local tour on the dock. Or just having my photo taken with my camera for free, with a sled dog and sled. And while I really enjoyed seeing and hearing the glacier in Glacier Bay calve, I have no wish to walk on a glacier.

Of my two trips to Alaska, I paid $15 for one small tour in Ketchikan, $7 for the hop on/hop off bus in Sitka and $45 to tour Jeff King's Husky Homestead. So I'm not exactly the big spender on tours. There is so much to see and do without spending a dime. I just don't feel the need to do those expensive excursions.

Now on the other hand, I did pay HAL $2750 for an 11 day cruisetour to the Yukon and interior Alaska with a balcony cabin for the cruise portion. So I'm not averse to spending money.

Each of us has to pick and choose what is important to us. Have fun planning your trip, then taking your trip. Alaska and the Yukon are truly beautiful!

:o On my usual Caribbean cruise fare I prefer a balcony or mini-suite in order to have those wonderful views and the nice, warm dining opportunities you get with your personal balcony.

Alaska however presented a different set of conditions that I spent quite a bit of time researching. It seems that the Alaska balcony would be a much cooler experience, and a potentially significant amount of time would also have showers and some morning fog. I began to read accounts of how the best viewing is on the open decks of the ship, particularly when you can find some shelter from the coolness and wet times. The open decks also allow a quick reversal from side-to-side as the ship is rotated in the glacial bays. So it seemed that the value of the Alaska cruise balcony is not quite as compelling as on an itinerary were one would spend a greater amount of time on the balcony.

I decided to take the advice and try an inside stateroom located on the forward Lido deck. Presumably, with the Lido location, I will have convenient access to the open decks..... as well as the snacks and buffet. Cost savings would also accrue, but that is not the main reason for going with an inside cabin on my 14 day cruise-tour (tour first, then 7 day cruise to Vancouver).

We'll see if this works out.

We were in C703 on the Caribe Deck of the Golden Princess this past August. A Balcony Cabin is indespensible. You feel like you are cruising on your own private ship...plus the Caribe deck balconies are twice the size of the regular balconies.

Hey, you're going to Alaska...you probably will never go again...despite what many will tell you on here. Splurg on the cabin and go on independent excursions...follow this plan:

In Juneau, we did Capt Jack Scania Whale Watching ..small catamaran, like a private excursion, (a classier boat than the cramped, uncovered, water taxis run by Harv&Marv). And Jack provided lunch in the covered upper deck of the boat.

In Skagway: Temsco Helicopter--Glacier--Dog Sledding in the morning (the dogs were so adorable) and rented an Avis car and drove to Emerald Lake via Murray's Guide in the afternoon.

In Ketchikan we did the Orca Cove Kayaking tour with Southeast Kayaks. Practically a private tour again.

That's all you need to know to have a GREAT time.

All of our fellow passenger acquaintences would say that they took the "Old Peoples" tours compared to us, when we shared our experiences each day.

Have fun...it will be a blast.

If you search some of my older posts, you'll find I am a big fan of a balcony cabin for Alaska. ALthough, we came very close to going with an OceanView last time but we were early in the season and the price dropped and we got a balcony for less than the original OV so we swapped up. Not everyone will be that lucky.

Personally, we spend a lot of time on deck, and in the various viewing areas, but its really nice when you do end up back in cabin to have a balcony if needed. My DW likes to take an afternoon nap and its convenient to me to be able to hang around and still be able to see. Also, I also find that early mornings, its nice to be able to take your time and not run up on deck right away (for Glacier Bay especially, the port side viewing starts very early, 5-6am and while others are huddled on deck trying to keep warm, we were able to still hang out in the cabin until well late in the morning).

But it really comes down to what you can afford and the tradeoffs you have to make. For every happy balcony cruiser, there is an equally happy OV or inside cruiser. Alaska is great and while the cruise itself is a major part of the time, the majority of the memories come off the ship.

:o On my usual Caribbean cruise fare I prefer a balcony or mini-suite in order to have those wonderful views and the nice, warm dining opportunities you get with your personal balcony.

Alaska however presented a different set of conditions........

This once again just goes to show how we are all different, with different priorities.

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise where we hardly used our balcony at all. It was too hot and humid out there most of the time. There was seldom anything to be seen from the cabin but water, water and more water. If we happened to be facing the right way, we could sometimes catch a great sunrise or sunset, but otherwise we felt that if there is anyplace we could easily do without the balcony, it is the Caribbean.

On the other hand, a balcony is a must for Alaska to us because there is a magnificent show of constantly changing scenery to be seen right outside the cabin.

Having a balcony does not exclude viewing from the open deck, as some have implied. Instead, you have the best of both.

Without a balcony, we would miss out on a lot and constantly need to keep running out to the public decks to see anything. (Been there, done that, not our choice.)

We are not among those energetic souls who get up at the crack of dawn each day, immediately get dressed, grab camera, binoculars, hat, gloves, sunglasses, etc. and go rushing out to spend hours viewing from the open deck at the front of the ship.

We love having a balcony on an Alaska cruise for those magnificent views when we first wake up in the morning and sit outside in our bathrobes enjoy a steaming cup of coffee without needing to get dressed. The same for those last views at night right before getting into bed. Also for sitting out there with our afternoon snacks and glass of wine in peace and privacy, and for looking out at the stars and the moonglow on the water when we wake up in the middle of the night. If I had needed to get dressed and go running out on deck, I would have missed many of the best views.

Friends in an inside cabin saw only a blank wall instead of those wonderful views of snow-capped mountain, little islands, lighthouses, passing boats, drifting clouds, occasional wildlife and did not even realize how much they were missing each day.

One of our cruising companions says the difference between not having a balcony and having one on an Alaska cruise is like a person with one eye who can still get to see a lot, but the view is so much better if you have both eyes.

My 2 cents -

My 1st cruise was a Grand Caymans/Cozumel cruise, and my sweetheart was worried about seasickness & never wanting to cruise again - so we got a balcony suite. Wonderfully worth it because the room was SO very spacious he DID get seasick, and at least I could enjoy the view without deserting him completely.

My next cruise is Alaska & I booked a balcony for the same reason - I will be taking my 3 children & though they have never been seasick on normal boating trips, they have never cruised - and I would like to know that we can all still enjoy the view 24/7 even if 1 or more are down for any amount of time.

Besides - the peace & tranquility of a secluded spot for just you, that glass of wine & the open sea (or glaciers) in front of you is a real treat, and aren't you worth it?

Hey, you're going to Alaska...you probably will never go again...despite what many will tell you on here. Splurg on the cabin and go on independent excursions...follow this plan:

SIZE]

Oh boy!!! I'll be on trip 28 in 2011, and the first trip in 1994 WAS supposed to be my one and only. :)

You'll have a great time either way. My first cruise was to Alaska with me, my DH and two small children packed into an inside cabin. We had a great time. Our second cruise was a balcony pacific coastal. We had a great time. Problem is that my husband will never go back to an inside cabin, while I would in a heartbeat.

In Juneau, we did Capt Jack Scania Whale Watching ..small catamaran, like a private excursion, (a classier boat than the cramped, uncovered, water taxis run by Harv&Marv). And Jack provided lunch in the covered upper deck of the boat.

Oh geeze. Better put on your flak jacket. Me? I'm getting some Fritos and beer to have while I watch this thread.

LOL. Really, me too. Apparently this poster did both H&M and Scania, but apparently it wasn't one of the boats I have been on with H&M. Certainly not uncovered, though they have uncovered viewing areas both forward and aft. And I just checked their website and this page shows one of their boats:

http://harvandmarvs.com/alaskawhalewatching.html

Uncovered? Either the poster made a mistake and thought the company they used was H&M or else who knows what?!?!?

Too funny!

I thought the same thing, frugal, and at first, got a bit miffed that this person was giving incorrect info. Then I thought so what, obviously they have no clue what they're talking about or confused H&M with someone else. I've gone whale watching with H&M twice and that poster's view on the reality is way off target - not one thing correct about the H&M experience. Whatever:rolleyes:. More important things in life - like spending 3 hours in the ER last night with, of all things, Benign Position Vertigo - what????:eek: Almost wrapped my husband's truck around a pole while driving home from work last night when it hit. Scary stuff! Yup, WAY more important things to be concerned about than some misinformation on this board.;)

We have cruised to Alaska several times and have always had an inside cabin. We prefer to use the extra money for excursions. DH and I get up in the morning and very seldom come back to the cabin all day. We prefer the pool deck area where you can go from one side of the ship to the other so as not to miss a minute of the beautiful scenery or animal sightings from both sides of the ship.

If being on a budget, I think a balcony is a luxury. If your only going to confine yourself to the cabin, then that is different. You will want the balcony. The last time we cruised it was in Hawaii and we only used the balcony in the AM before breakfast then we were out of the cabin to enjoy the ship's decks, eat, entertain, and go off-shore.

But all in all, I'd save the extra money for things on the ship that end up costing money anyway, and for excursions off the boat. Believe me, no matter how you cut it, a cruise always ends up costing more than you think once you are experiencing it. They get into your pocketbook believe me.

I really wonder though how much time anybody would be on a balcony cruising Alaska waterways. Isn't it a bit cold out there, depending upon the time of year and time of day? Why would you want to sit out there freezing your pants off?

We booked an inside (and saved the cruise money to take fabulous excursions) and were lucky enough to get upgraded to an ocean view on the Island Princess in June. What made this upgrade so fantastic was that the ocean view overlooked the aft of the ship and one of the "secret decks" that you can only get to by going throught a hallway of cabins (so many people don't know it is there). The window is mirrored so we could see out but no one else could see in. 80% of the time, we had the whole back deck to ourselves! It was absolutely fantastic. Even if I had a balcony, I would have spent a lot of time on public decks so that I did not miss what was happening on the other side of the ship.

And yes, you need to dress in layers. On the aft deck out of the wind I was fine in a tshirt and jeans but on the front deck in the wind it was a whole different story (hat, gloves, jacket, etc).

Archived