Debacle on AOS on 12/12/2010

Well folks I just thought I would share some bad experiences on the AOS 12/12/2010 cruise. Overall I had a good time but have the following items to share that were unfortunate.

1) Embarkation was a joke, we arrived at the pier around 12pm Sunday and waited 4.5 hours in line just to get to a check in booth. We learned that there was an immigration issue and the ship was on lock down. RCCL was not prepared for this and I saw several elderly folks get dehydrated and one who passed out. Everyone was in line some with no shade from the sun. RCCL had no water to offer, no bathrooms and no official explanation. I only offer what I heard from the cruise director Anna Bass who was at the CC meet and mingle the next day.

Many people were irritated and pushing and shoving in line once the doors to check in did open; very ridiculous.

2)The sliding glass door of our balcony room whistled many days and nights, and the mainteance departement who answered my call only once of many calls said they would fix it. I had to constantly play with the lock to avoid the air pressure and annoying whistling sound. I am extremely dissappointed that guest services and mainteance offered me nothing for all this trouble. Many times calling I was placed on hold with no pick up or nobody answered and the call just dropped---ridiculous.

3)I learned that there 1,600 residents of Puerto Rico on board, all of whom paid significantly less than any of us from anywhere else in the world. One couple from PR said they paid only $300 for a week cruise which is a fraction of what I paid. I understand trying to fill the ship with people but I feel discriminated as mainland American paying much more. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against anyone from PR; but why should pay 4 times more if I live in the midwest.

So if you want a deal on a cruise from San Juan perhaps we should travel with residents of PR.

4)Filet mignon is no longer included in your dining options unless you pay a $15 fee (apparenlty this is new). This is not a huge deal but yet another way to nickeled and dimed.

We still had a great time, but honestly I was dissappointed. I have been on the AOS 3 times previously and never had these issues and bragged about RCCL to my girlfriend who enjoyed her Carnival ships much more.

My biggest dissappointment was the room and sliding door whistling issue. Come on RCCL; I pay thousands of dollars and you can't fix this for a week?

I also called customer relations yesterday and spoke with a gentlemen named Ed who listened to my concerns. RCCL did not offer me anything at all.

I am suprised that the customer service on the ship and the corporate office acted in this manner. I would think they would see my previous cruises with them and want to keep me as a customer, but apparently not.

Anyway, I just wanted others on this site to know my experience. I hope your cruises are better than the one I just expereienced.

Best wishes.

Ouch. I feel your pain. I assume you mean Adventure of the Seas since it apparently departed from Puerto Rico. Just a reminder that AOS could also mean Allure of the Seas now.

We always carry water and some food (cereal bars usually) just in case we are stuck in line. But RCCL should have offerered something. I think the problem is food cannot be taken off the ship, so it's not like they take sandwiches from Cafe Promenade and pass them out.

RCCL should have handled the whistling noice quickly -- at least by the 2nd night. No excuse. Shame on you RCCL for botching this.

$15 for a "Chop's Fillet" has been around for a while now in the MDR. I found the "free' beef in the MDR to be fine though on my Dec. 5 Voyager OTS. Good prime rib Sunday and Friday, and, steak on Monday and Saturday. I did not try the sirloin available all the time this trip, but I before and it is usually on the tough side.

Price is always tricky and touchy. I'm in Texas and often get a Texas discount from Galveston. I'm also over age 55 and get that discount often. Fair? Well, who says businesses have to be fair? I remember buying a TV, and the next week the price had dropped $100. Nope -- I didn't get a refund. Sigh. Still, I know where you are coming from and why it is frustrating to find out some else got the same cruise for half the price or less.

Are you thinking of trying Carnival next time? I see you also have Celebrity (owned by RCI) and Princess (owned by Carnival) as choices for 7 day cruises from Puerto Rico -- even Azamara if you can pay bigger bucks. At least you have choices.

Well folks I just thought I would share some bad experiences on the AOS 12/12/2010 cruise. Overall I had a good time but have the following items to share that were unfortunate.

1) Embarkation was a joke, we arrived at the pier around 12pm Sunday and waited 4.5 hours in line just to get to a check in booth. We learned that there was an immigration issue and the ship was on lock down. RCCL was not prepared for this and I saw several elderly folks get dehydrated and one who passed out. Everyone was in line some with no shade from the sun. RCCL had no water to offer, no bathrooms and no official explanation. I only offer what I heard from the cruise director Anna Bass who was at the CC meet and mingle the next day.

Many people were irritated and pushing and shoving in line once the doors to check in did open; very ridiculous.

2)The sliding glass door of our balcony room whistled many days and nights, and the mainteance departement who answered my call only once of many calls said they would fix it. I had to constantly play with the lock to avoid the air pressure and annoying whistling sound. I am extremely dissappointed that guest services and mainteance offered me nothing for all this trouble. Many times calling I was placed on hold with no pick up or nobody answered and the call just dropped---ridiculous.

3)I learned that there 1,600 residents of Puerto Rico on board, all of whom paid significantly less than any of us from anywhere else in the world. One couple from PR said they paid only $300 for a week cruise which is a fraction of what I paid. I understand trying to fill the ship with people but I feel discriminated as mainland American paying much more. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against anyone from PR; but why should pay 4 times more if I live in the midwest.

So if you want a deal on a cruise from San Juan perhaps we should travel with residents of PR.

4)Filet mignon is no longer included in your dining options unless you pay a $15 fee (apparenlty this is new). This is not a huge deal but yet another way to nickeled and dimed.

We still had a great time, but honestly I was dissappointed. I have been on the AOS 3 times previously and never had these issues and bragged about RCCL to my girlfriend who enjoyed her Carnival ships much more.

My biggest dissappointment was the room and sliding door whistling issue. Come on RCCL; I pay thousands of dollars and you can't fix this for a week?

I also called customer relations yesterday and spoke with a gentlemen named Ed who listened to my concerns. RCCL did not offer me anything at all.

I am suprised that the customer service on the ship and the corporate office acted in this manner. I would think they would see my previous cruises with them and want to keep me as a customer, but apparently not.

Anyway, I just wanted others on this site to know my experience. I hope your cruises are better than the one I just expereienced.

Best wishes.

If you have that whistling problem again on a ship, put a rolled up bath towel on the floor in front of your cabin door and it will stop that annoying noise.

It took me days on another cruise ship to figure that one out. I did it on our last Adventure B2B's and no more whistle for 14 days. ;)

It worked for me on every ship so far. Yours may have been a different problem, but try it.

I too was on the 12/12 Adventurer....they did offer water and I do recognize that this was more of a Puerto Rico Customs issue however, RCCL, should always be prepared. My family member is elderly and became ill and we were basically told "sorry"...that pissed me off.

I spoke to someone on board to complain about embarkation and was told that the crew had not been cleared through customs and couldn't send many out to assist with the crowd...ok...I can go with that, but those they did send, didn't give any information, they weren't helpful and one lady had the nerve to get upset when I asked what was the hold up.

We had quite a few Puerto Rican vacationers...they partied hard, hell, I partied with them. I too am upset that they received a cruise for $300, when I paid considerably more.

I wasn't pleased with the Adventurer or Puerto Rico.

Paying more than other people does suck. I'm from MN, so for me to go anywhere costs a small fortune.

On the other hand I get tired of hearing people whine about it. People from other countries whine about how cheap it is for americans to cruise, people from further out parts of the country whine about how cheap it is for those that live near a port. Yeah...it does, so what? No one forces us to go on a vacation. If it means THAT much to me to pay less for cruising I guess I could move to florida or someplace that has ports. Instead I just suck it up and know that I won't be able to cruise as often and I'm going to pay more to do it. It's all part of life, and no, as I tell my 7 year old, life isn't always fair.

We're sailing Adventure in 5 weeks, loved it last year.

I'll be printing the set sail pass tonight, will be interested to see what it say's for boarding time. I suspect something like 2-3:00PM. We'll still show up around noon though:D Hope we don't have to wait 4 hours like you did, that wouldn't be fun:(

As for the Puerto Rico discounts, on one hand I feel the same way, but on the other hand I wouldn't expect a business to turn down that revenue if the option was to let rooms sail empty. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. With price drops I think we're at 2,200 total for three people: for 7 nights lodging, food, entertainment, and transportation throughout the Caribbean. I can live with that!:)

I didn't lose sleep and I still enjoyed my vacation, but if someone gets the same category room that I got for $300 and I paid $900....that can be upsetting. I won't be having a crying fest, but I don't see the harm in acknowledging the fact.

Also, if I live in Florida, I still pay the same as anyone else, I just don't pay travel cost. Just saying.....

3)I learned that there 1,600 residents of FLORIDA on board, all of whom paid significantly less than any of us from anywhere else in the world. One couple from FLORIDA said they paid only $300 for a week cruise which is a fraction of what I paid. I understand trying to fill the ship with people but I feel discriminated as mainland American paying much more. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against anyone from FLORIDA ; but why should pay 4 times more if I live in the midwest.

So if you want a deal on a cruise from FLORIDA perhaps we should travel with residents of FLORIDA .

Does it sound any different if you edit the location?:rolleyes: Locals often get better deals because they can book at the last minute. I've seen great deals out of San Juan only to find obnoxious airfare that kills the savings, if you can drive to the port it makes a big difference.

I didn't lose sleep and I still enjoyed my vacation, but if someone gets the same category room that I got for $300 and I paid $900....that can be upsetting. I won't be having a crying fest, but I don't see the harm in acknowledging the fact.

Also, if I live in Florida, I still pay the same as anyone else, I just don't pay travel cost. Just saying.....

Many cruises offer residency discounts for Floridians so the ships will sail as full as possible so if you live in Florida you do not always pay the same as everyone else. This is just how the travel industry works, like it or not, it is what it is.

Just an FYI, the name of the ship you just sailed is Adventure of the Seas.

Thanks for all your responses. This was my first time having a balcony room so maybe thats why the whistling really ticked me off plus the lack of RCCL support in trying to resolve it. I'll try that towel idea next time.

My only point on pricing is that Puerto Ricans are Americans too; I saw them with U.S. Passports just like mine. I think think the pricing should be the same if you are from Minnesota/California/Maine or wherever in the USA. We all obviously have to pay travel costs to get to San Juan that vary on distance which is understandable. But why do the Puerto Ricans get such steep last minute discounts.

If RCCL was smart they would offer discounts to all of us in the snowbelts too and drum up more business. Again, I like the Puerto Ricans and have no problem with them, my problem was with RCCL giving them such a deal.

This is very similar to the large discrepancy in wages for men versus women for many occupations.

Anyway, I will get off the bandwagon. I talked to others on the Princess ship and Carnival ship while in the SJU airport, they said they found similar experiences. One woman told me she was told that cruise lines had to send home crew (at their cost) if the ships were not full so thats why they gave the deal to the Puerto Ricans.

I wonder if I can simply say I am from PR next time, heck I didn't get anything in the mail anyway; and my Passport just says it was issued Illinois (it does not have my address); hmm maybe a good idea lol. Although I am sure I am not the first person to think of that.

This seems to come up quit a bite about cruise from PR. Why do I not hear about complaints about all the people from south Florida that seem to invade the cruise ships cheap prices!!??

Not sure but could this be a little pre*%*ut coming out?

Thanks for all your responses. This was my first time having a balcony room so maybe thats why the whistling really ticked me off plus the lack of RCCL support in trying to resolve it. I'll try that towel idea next time.

My only point on pricing is that Puerto Ricans are Americans too; I saw them with U.S. Passports just like mine. I think think the pricing should be the same if you are from Minnesota/California/Maine or wherever in the USA. We all obviously have to pay travel costs to get to San Juan that vary on distance which is understandable. But why do the Puerto Ricans get such steep last minute discounts.

If RCCL was smart they would offer discounts to all of us in the snowbelts too and drum up more business. Again, I like the Puerto Ricans and have no problem with them, my problem was with RCCL giving them such a deal.

This is very similar to the large discrepancy in wages for men versus women for many occupations.

Anyway, I will get off the bandwagon. I talked to others on the Princess ship and Carnival ship while in the SJU airport, they said they found similar experiences. One woman told me she was told that cruise lines had to send home crew (at their cost) if the ships were not full so thats why they gave the deal to the Puerto Ricans.

I wonder if I can simply say I am from PR next time, heck I didn't get anything in the mail anyway; and my Passport just says it was issued Illinois (it does not have my address); hmm maybe a good idea lol. Although I am sure I am not the first person to think of that.

I think you do have to show proof if you take a residency discount. I remember a thread a while back where she had booked the wrong state by mistake and had to pay the difference at the port I believe? I do feel your pain though...my airfare to fly to San Juan is almost as much as my cabin :eek:

I understand what you are saying about pricing but I doubt very many people paid the same for their cabin that you did since people book at different times and prices fluctuate. Their are residency discounts, senior discounts, military discounts and others that some are eligible for though others aren't. We got a great residency discount one year on the Mariner that was for mostly northeast states but not Florida, where the ship was sailing from at the time. You just never know who is going to get the better price.

Many cruises offer residency discounts for Floridians so the ships will sail as full as possible so if you live in Florida you do not always pay the same as everyone else. This is just how the travel industry works, like it or not, it is what it is.

Just an FYI, the name of the ship you just sailed is Adventure of the Seas.

And the point is that I still find it disheartening to know that someone paid $600 less for the same service. I enjoyed my vacation and time spent with my family, but I think I have a right to state that fact and be upset about it. Life isn't fair, that isn't fair and I won't shed a tear.

I've been calling her Adventurer of the Seas for 1 full year...so sorry...forgive me for adding an "r"....I'm sure you'll forgive me like I'll forgive RCCL for giving the deep discount to others.

I have sailed on 6 cruises with RCCL. I am a Platinum member and have plans on becoming a Diamond Plus. I have earned the right to say I don't like that others get deep discounts and also the right to add an "r" here or there. :D

Nosmoth---there is absolutely no "pre*%*ut" coming out on my part. I met a lot of nice Puerto Ricans and have gone to PR resorts just for vacation. Heck, I even have attempted to learn some Spanish to simply show respect for them and the native language of the area.

You would be suprised how many Puerto Ricans appreciate it when a guy like me from the Midwest tries to speak Spanish to them instead of simply assuming everyone speaks English.

My problem is I paid $2,300 for two people for a balcony room when another couple just a few rooms down from mine paid $300 for the exact same cruise. It does not matter if they are Puerto Rican or from the planet Mars; that is a huge discrepancy.

I have no problem paying my travel costs to get to PR; I live in the Midwest so thats my problem. I am only talking about the fact that my cruise cost almost 8 times as much. And whoever said life is not always fair is absolutely correct, it's not. But as Americans we can all say what we think and allow others to form their own opionions.

This website has allowed me to learn a lot about ports of call, tours, and cruise lines. I am only trying to give back my experience to help others stay informed.

As I mentioned, my biggest issue was not having a sliding door glass fixed, not the Puerto Ricans getting a bettter deal. RCCL customer service on board should have resolved this or got me another room. I got tired of hearing "We're sorry".

Let me get this clear...we are not going to make this a race issue...I am an African-American woman, and I don't care if they are Puerto Ricans, Floridians, mammals or aliens...I don't want to hear about them getting a $600 discount on the same service and room category that I received. That's all, and I think that's all the person who began the thread was saying.

All that being said, there were other issues that I experienced with the ship and it could have been just my experience and this trip...so all those on their way to cruise Adventure® of the Seas...I'm sure you will love your vacation.

Cabin issues ARE annoying. From a squeaky door, to I've heard people complain about the heat/ac not regulating correctly or someone with the smoke smell...you do pay a great deal for a vacation, and want to enjoy it, and things like that that can and SHOULD be fixed and just plain aren't can ruin an entire experience.

I hope that I don't have your squeaky balcony!!!!

I can imagine your disappoinment with the delay in getting on the ship. You are there at the port and ready to begin your vacation...a 4-hour wait wasn't part of the plan.

I try not to get involved in conversations about what other passengers have paid for their vacation. Inevitably someone ALWAYS gets a cabin similar to your's for a lot less money...it's part of travel. Once I book and squeeze every last credit, price drop, and what-have-you out of the package price, I try very hard not to look back!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself in spite of the rocky start:)

Quote from a similar thread re: the AOS situation on 12/12: “The ship had just come in from its TA crossing. All the passengers and crew had to go thru immigrations and customs. On top of that the ship underwent US Coast Guard inspection and drills. We were one of the first to get on board and that was not until 3:00 pm and we had arrived at 11:30. The line outside was unbelievable. The last person to get on board was between 8 and 8:30 pm just before we sailed. Some of the crew I spoke with talked about having only 6 customs agents for all passengers and crew members. Very, very slow. It was a disaster. Customs decided to do a full inspection of the ship and crew because the boat had been in Europe for 6 months. Customs official told me they do this whenever that happens. Seems like the kind of thing RCI should've known about or anticipated. People got to the gate as early as 8:30 to wait, we got there about 12:00. Stood in line for nearly 4 hours before being let on the boat. No one from RCI ever bothered to come out and explain what was happening. Some older people started to pass out and had to be wheeled into the building for shelter. I met LOTS of people on the ship who swore they would never use RCI again after this unmitigated disaster. I sat by a couple in the dining room that waited in that line for over 6 hours.”

Apparently the ship had been in Europe for 6 months. About the same amount of time we all spent in the terminal waiting to board......

My husband and I were on this cruise. Waited 5 hours to board. Fortunately we were inside and had a place to sit. RCCL did a horrible job of handling this situation. No communications. No information as to what was going on. Occasionally someone would make an announcement over the inside PA system as to the estimated wait time, but we could never understand what they were saying. I saw others asking RCCL staff members what was going on. If they received any answer at all it was in a "don't bother me" tone of voice. The least they could have done since they couldn't hand out food was to give some sort of onboard credit. At least acknowledge it in some way. I never heard any of the RCCL staff or crew say anything about it, such as an apology. Once we finally boarded and the cruise was underway, everything was fine. But the embarkation nightmare really leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

LHartwick - I couldn't agree with you more....we got to the terminal about 12:30pm and we were in the front of the line, outside the doors...and it was warm outside. An elderly member of my family became ill and I asked if something could be done for her...very nonchalant answers from the RCCL staff...I was disappointed, and that did leave a bad taste, and there was no apology, no nothing. I would have appreciated $10 Onboard credit, a free drink...somethin.

Let me get this clear...we are not going to make this a race issue...I am an African-American woman, and I don't care if they are Puerto Ricans, Floridians, mammals or aliens...I don't want to hear about them getting a $600 discount on the same service and room category that I received. That's all, and I think that's all the person who began the thread was saying.

All that being said, there were other issues that I experienced with the ship and it could have been just my experience and this trip...so all those on their way to cruise Adventure® of the Seas...I'm sure you will love your vacation.

Then don't ask the person sitting on the plane next to you how much he paid. It all depends on when someone books and what the specials are at the time. Had this been Carnival and you had an early saver rate you would have had a heck of an onboard credit.

Ok .. you all do realize that these discounts exist everywhere.

Next time you are on a plane or in a hotel ask eveyone what they paid. You will find they same thing :eek:

Haha...I ticked off a lady I work with one day. She was bragging about the "great" deal she had gotten at a hotel in Minneapolis at only $159/night. I looked at her and said, oh really? I got the same room last weekend for $47/night on priceline. That shut her up in a hurry!!!

LHartwick - I couldn't agree with you more....we got to the terminal about 12:30pm and we were in the front of the line, outside the doors...and it was warm outside. An elderly member of my family became ill and I asked if something could be done for her...very nonchalant answers from the RCCL staff...I was disappointed, and that did leave a bad taste, and there was no apology, no nothing. I would have appreciated $10 Onboard credit, a free drink...somethin.

Hope your family member is better now. I hate to complain. I mean after all we did get to take a cruise, but we were just stunned at RCCL's lack of concern for what was going on. I experienced a similar attitude from the SPA staff when they screwed up my reservation and told me they were full.

Deep breaths......on to planning my next cruise! (probably not on RCCL)

Archived