Dredging indefinitely on hold, Royal Caribbean drops pledge

While I'd have prefered docking at the WICO pier, why spend $20 million (estimated and we all know how estimates can turn out) plus deal with enviromental impact issues/law suits if you don't have to? The Crown Bay pier was fine and we enjoyed the shopping there at the docks. Sure I still prefer WICO but, in this case, I can't blame either the St. Thomas government or RCI. That money can be spent better somewhere else.

While I'd have prefered docking at the WICO pier, why spend $20 million (estimated and we all know how estimates can turn out) plus deal with enviromental impact issues/law suits if you don't have to? The Crown Bay pier was fine and we enjoyed the shopping there at the docks. Sure I still prefer WICO but, in this case, I can't blame either the St. Thomas government or RCI. That money can be spent better somewhere else.

Exactly.Smart move by the government.Charlotte already has a 20 percent increase in traffic. Over busy ports are not exactly a plus.Refreshing change from our leadership here

:cj

My guess is the merchants at Havensight Mall are probably not too happy with this news:(

I agree. Also, they have developed such a nice walkway from Havensight into town compared to what the walk used to be like. I am not aware of anything comparable from Crown Bay into town.

That is also an article from a few months ago and now that the Allure is sailing, officials may change their mind. Some cruisers only go into the havensight area for shopping after an excursion as that is all they have time for. Yes money could well be spent elsewhere but tourism is their economy.

That is also an article from a few months ago and now that the Allure is sailing, officials may change their mind. Some cruisers only go into the havensight area for shopping after an excursion as that is all they have time for. Yes money could well be spent elsewhere but tourism is their economy.

Officials have known for several years that Allure was coming to St. Thomas and it hasn't changed their minds. As the article stated, RCI has their ship in St. Thomas and St. Thomas has their ship in port. Why spend the money?

Did you all read the article? I was under the impression that the govt was not paying for the dredging, it was going to be WICO and Royal. A conservation group debated where to dump the dredged material, not the dredging itself, so the Gov. put it on hold and let Royal dock at Crown Bay for the time being.

Now that they are in St. Thomas, Royal doesn't care where they dock if they can get out of paying millions of dollars. WICO doesn't want to fund the project alone, so they're no longer interested either.

The dredging will have to be done eventually as maintenance, but in that case, I'm sure more people will have to kick in their share of the money so Royal doesn't foot half the bill. That's what I got out of the article.

I agree. Also, they have developed such a nice walkway from Havensight into town compared to what the walk used to be like. I am not aware of anything comparable from Crown Bay into town.

We docked at Crown Bay in 2006 when we sailed on Crown Princess. As you are probably well aware; it is a cab ride into Charlotte Amalie through ridiculous traffic. That dock is not in walking distance of anything worth walking too... IMO they should look into doing something to ease the awful traffic congestion in downtown:eek:

How new is this walkway? I was last there 5/2/06.

How new is this walkway? I was last there 5/2/06.

Hmmmm, I think that it is at least 3 years old now. I don't remember for sure. But it is a very pleasant walk. At a reasonable pace (I know reasonable is a matter of opinion) it talks maybe 20 minutes. I really enjoy it. I run everyday but don't usually when we cruise. When I get on land I really look forward to the walking.

Corwn Bay is okay but Havensight is much better.

How far away is this port from Havensight? I do remember the shops right there at Havensight and enjoyed them. I do have an excursion planned that is through the ship so I will have no worries, but am curious about where the other port is located.

How far away is this port from Havensight? I do remember the shops right there at Havensight and enjoyed them. I do have an excursion planned that is through the ship so I will have no worries, but am curious about where the other port is located.
A long way, it's not walkable. See map, Havensight is by long bay and Crown bay is by Frenchtown http://www.viator.com/Virgin-Islands-US-attractions/St-Thomas-Cruise-Port-map/d40-a3041

Hmmmm, I think that it is at least 3 years old now. I don't remember for sure. But it is a very pleasant walk. At a reasonable pace (I know reasonable is a matter of opinion) it talks maybe 20 minutes. I really enjoy it. I run everyday but don't usually when we cruise. When I get on land I really look forward to the walking.

20 minutes is a mile at a leisurely walk. At most times that would be a pleasant walk given St Thomas weather. It would only be a problem if I was carrying a lot of packages from my wife's shopping.

Crown Bay is over by the airport. The area has been built up in the past few years, and there is relatively good shopping over there - not as much as Havensight, but not bad. As for distance to the center of town, Havensight is a bit closer, but not by much. The real difference is that CA shopping district has built itself up more on the Havensight end, so getting to the big in-town shops from Havensight is a lot quicker than from Crown Bay.

Archived