Cruising alone... very tempted.

blitznbobs

My husband and young son are off skiing at the end of Feb. Due to a knee injury I can't ski this year and so am not going with them... there's a cruise in the carribean on Princess the same week and I have to say I'm tempted... but will I be lonely?? Never vacationed alone before but is it OK?

Ta

Blitz

If you feel better traveling with someone, see if a friend or another family member can join you.

The only thing about princess is that (that i believe) they don't have single traveler room rates.

regardless you will have a blast!!

I'd like to get out of the cold in February - I'll go with you!!!

But if I were you, I'd go for it. Sounds like you wouldn't have a problem since you have traveled alone before. I think it would be very relaxing for you. There were many solo 's on our November cruise.

I would totally cruise alone if I had noone to come with me. Assuming you've cruised before - if you have spent some time alone on the ship during those times you cruised with others you won't have a problem! I enjoy walking around alone and taking in the movies and going to the buffet and stuff when hubby feels like hanging out in the room. I woud go for it if you enjoy exploring on your own! :) And if you have some money to do shore excursions this is a great way to explore the ports while not feeling alone! :)

I have cruised before but usually on P and O (as the child care facilities are so good) But as a Brit, I think I'll find it easier on an American ship as American's (as a stereotypical generalised statement) are more chatty and openly friendly - so I thought I'd try Princess. - Could I share a table in the dining room as I might on P and O?

Thanks

Bx

I have been cruising solo and have three more solo cruises planned. You will have a great time joining other cruisers for dinner at anytime dining or being assigned to a table at early or late seating. Even as a couple you can never agree what to do at all times. Going solo gives you the luxury of doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Major bonus is having the entire bed to yourself for the length of the cruise. Give it a try.

I have cruised before but usually on P and O (as the child care facilities are so good) But as a Brit, I think I'll find it easier on an American ship as American's (as a stereotypical generalised statement) are more chatty and openly friendly Thank you! - so I thought I'd try Princess. - Could I share a table in the dining room as I might on P and O?

Thanks

Bx

Sure you can and should share a table. If you get traditional dining ASK in advance to be seated at a large table. If you do Anytime Dining when you reach the door simply request a large table. You shouldn't have any problem and what fun meeting others.

There are many posters here that cruise as a "single passenger" and never have I read of one of them being bored. Just think, you can do whatever you want whenever you want. How great would that be! :D

Hit that button and don't look back!

larsen>>>>> "Hit that button and don't look back"!

Larsen, that's funny...that takes the bloody cake!

I read these posts because my DW's schedule doesn't allow

her time off the next few months. Always wondered if I'd feel weird

taking a cruise solo?

..but, you know what? I am about ready to

"Hit that button and don't look back"!

Thanks....

:cool::cool:

I love to cruise alone. Sometimes I do cruise with folks that I know but we each have our own cabin and do our own things. It's the only way to vaction in my mind. I love my alone time although most people veiw me as being quite outgoing. I just need to have some alone time to recharge. Go for it, I think you'll enjoy it.

I always cruise as a single in a cabin although most of the time, family/friends are also on the ship. I've taken a cruise completely single and it made little difference. I usually do my own "thing" during the day anyway, including taking tours, and meet up with the others for drinks and dinner. When I cruised alone, the only difference was that I went to a lounge by myself and had a drink before dinner. I usually chose right outside the Explorer's Lounge and people watched, often winding up chatting with others. I booked Traditional at a large table and there were other singles at the table, so we had a great time. Meeting others from our Roll Call meant I instantly had "friends" on the ship.

I say, "Go for it!" You'll enjoy the extra space in the cabin and being free to do what you want, when you want to do it.

I just came back last month from my first cruise alone. DH couldn't get the time off work and DSs are in college. It was liberating!! I loved it! I would do it again in a heartbeat! Yes, I missed DH, but it was fun to do things when I wanted to do them instead of having to consider someone else's preferences, needs and wants. It was a great experience!

I have cruised before but usually on P and O (as the child care facilities are so good) But as a Brit, I think I'll find it easier on an American ship as American's (as a stereotypical generalised statement) are more chatty and openly friendly - so I thought I'd try Princess. - Could I share a table in the dining room as I might on P and O?

Thanks

Bx

I have to totally disagree with that statement. About 85% of the passengers on my QM2 sailing were Brits and they were amazingly friendly the entire time I was on the ship!! I met people at breakfast (open seating with different people each morning), at dinner (traditional dining), during trivia, the art auction, lectures, you name it! I was shocked at how friendly people were considering I was alone. And, I noticed that they were just as friendly with their fellow British passengers too. They automatically had something in common and would talk up a storm about 'home'. :)

My husband and young son are off skiing at the end of Feb. Due to a knee injury I can't ski this year and so am not going with them... there's a cruise in the carribean on Princess the same week and I have to say I'm tempted... but will I be lonely?? Never vacationed alone before but is it OK?

Ta

Blitz

I cruised to China and far east alone on saphire or 14 days. I really enjoyed myself and trip was very port extensive, so kept busy. Did only cruise excursions instead of going off alone, was lonely a few times but did meet some nice people. The only thing I would suggest is traditional dining at a large table. Going into the dining room was a few times very nerve racking for me. One time sat at large table through 3 glasses of wine watching people come in and knowing the matirD was asking if they would sit with others and no one was coming to sit with me. It seemed like a lifetime plus I was so loaded when they finally did who knows what I said. traditional dining was waitlisted so I had to do anytime dining. So go and have a great time!

Hey, we're all in the same boat. I cruise by myself and sometimes have friends onboard, but not always. I've met so many new friends that I almost always know someone on the ship. Check the boards for your cruise and go for traditional dining or anytime at a large table and you'll find some great new friends. :)

I absolutely love to cruise!!! However, my DH isn't really thrilled with it(basically he dislikes sea days). He has loved our cruises that were really port intensive. Me...well, I love the sea days because the onboard activities interest me more than they do him. He still works (I don't) and he told me to "go on as many cruises I want". Wow, what a guy! Now, I can't find anyone who either, can afford to go or will go without their DH, etc. So, I'm definitely going solo!!!

Anyway, thanks to all the posters who have encouraged me. My DH may regret making that statement! :D :eek:

Take care and happy cruising.

Dancing Lady

I cruised alone one time and met some great people! Definitely go for it.

My recommendation on dinner is to make sure that Princess knows you are traveling solo and that you want to share a large table with other singles or small groups. The time I went, Princess sat me at a table for 8 with an entire family!!! It was very uncomfortable. Especially when some of them started arguing! So I ended up switching tables and was seated with other singles. Not sure what the Princess folks where thinking when they did my original table assignment!! :eek::eek::eek:

Blitznbobs...I'm thinking of doing the same thing for a trip to Alaska. Thinking about renting a car for a precruise land tour (on my own). A little nervous about it, but thinking my GPS will help me find my way. Still nervous about traveling so far by myself, but I think it will be liberating! Good luck!

I've taken one cruise, 14 nights from FL to South America, alone, and loved it! DH couldn't get away either, and the last minute deal was too good to pass up. This was on Celebrity, and there was only traditional dining, but the maitre de did a wonderful job of placing me with 3 other singles and 2 couples and we had a great time. I ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room, to meet other people, met two women the second day of the cruise, about my age and also married and traveling without their husbands. We really hit it off. I've since traveled to South American, Australia and China with one of them. You never know who you might meet if you take the chance and cruise alone!

I think it helps a lot that you've traveled for business...I was already used to traveling alone because I used to tack on leisure weekends to business trips, and had already cruised before, so it was not a big deal.

(Besides, the cabin seems luxuriously large when you're by yourself!)

I'm doing my first solo pretty soon, and I was nervous (still get a bit nervous and wonder if I'll be lonely)

but NOTHING would keep me from a cruise - the relaxation, luxury and whatnot.

Besides, my few cruises with my mum she spent most of the time in the room relaxing, and I was off doing everything alone anyways. Although, the activity staff usually become my 'cruise friends' quickly... and most if not all know me by name half way through.

Plus on my last Princess cruise, I met so many nice people, and had lovely chats and trivia games with them. :)

I will say this, my ship only has assigned dining, and I'm so hoping my tablemates will be nice and friendly, as dinner time is the only time I've still nervous about being alone... and I love the dining room so much, I don't want to feel 'unwanted' and skip out to eat at the buffet instead.

I say go for it. Why sit at home while everyone else is having fun?

go for it! i typically do cruise vacations with a large group. this year i booked the caribbean princess for the Feb 27th sailing with just 2 of my friends sharing one cabin. your more than welcome to come spend time with us onboard. we are all in our 30's, working professionals in need of a change from the hustle and bustle of the daily routine and of course some much needed vitamin D!

Mark

Archived