Secrets of the Equinox

stanjj111

Years ago there was a very good thread on secrets of the Connie that gave a lot of great information. We are going on the Equinox in two weeks and was wondering about things that are not generally known about the ship that may be of interest to do. Can some people comment? Thanks

We will be on the Equinox for the second time in a month so keep her in good shape!! As far as secrets, when you board there wil be lots of folks going to the buffet. If you don't like crowds, pay up the $5 pp and go to Bistro on 5 for a leisutely lunch. Of course there's the AquaSpa cafe on Equinox. It's similar to the one on the M ships.

If you are Elite Status in the Captains Club, you'll get invitations to "Celebrations" - drinks or even buffet brunches/lunches. If it says it starts at 1:00, then go at 12:30 or sooner. We showed up at 5 minutes until 1:00 and the place was PACKED. People were already finished eating, and the lines were 100 + people waiting to get food.

It was really frustrating that everything was so crowded. They did the Elite happy hour in the Sky Lounge because there were too many to fit into Micheals, and you couldn't get service unless you went to look for the one waitress covering the whole room (hundred or more people each evening).

Can you tell me more about the lawn club? In school I did some glass blowing so I expect it to be very interesting.

It is up on deck 15. All the way aft is the Sunset Bar with tables

and chairs on both sides and yes, there is grass outside;) If you walk

forward you will find more grass and an area that people are playing

Bocci Ball and then there is the Glass Blowing area as well.

If you have done glass blowing then I would think you would love this

show:). My best advice is to get there early. When I say early, get

there 20-30 minutes early. It really does fill and ends up standing room

only:eek: and you cannot always see everything that way. Go early and

get a seat up front. It is really a fabulous show:). There were 3 people

who ran the show. All were great. They made it fun and interesting!

If you are Elite Status in the Captains Club, you'll get invitations to "Celebrations" - drinks or even buffet brunches/lunches. If it says it starts at 1:00, then go at 12:30 or sooner. We showed up at 5 minutes until 1:00 and the place was PACKED. People were already finished eating, and the lines were 100 + people waiting to get food.

It was really frustrating that everything was so crowded. They did the Elite happy hour in the Sky Lounge because there were too many to fit into Micheals, and you couldn't get service unless you went to look for the one waitress covering the whole room (hundred or more people each evening).

That was not our experience on the Christmas cruise. We attended all of these events and we never had a problem with seating etc. At the happy hour there were usually 3 or 4 servers; and, I never had a problem securing a drink. Of course, I tip with each drink.

The glass blowing is awesome. It is done by the Corning School of glass. It was both informative for those with little or no knowledge of glass blowing to fun to those of us with knowledge.

I was on Equinox last February and I totally agree - the glass blowing demonstrations were fantastic! On our cruise there were 2 two-hour demos on each of our four sea days. It wasn't so much a "show" as a "come and go" thing....in two hours I'd say they would create 7 or 8 different items....so people would stop and watch for awhile, and then move on. If there are no seats when you get there, just wait until they finish the item they are working on - seats will probably free up.

One of the highlights of my cruise: I like to go for a quiet late evening stroll around the ship before I turn in for the night. Well, one night around midnight a friend and I were walking past the Lawn Club, and noticed that the glass blowing area was open and all three of the artisans were there working. We asked if they'd mind if we sat and watched and they said no problem....we sat for a half hour or more and had basically our own private show under the stars. It was pretty awesome!

Years ago there was a very good thread on secrets of the Connie that gave a lot of great information. We are going on the Equinox in two weeks and was wondering about things that are not generally known about the ship that may be of interest to do. Can some people comment? Thanks

Bridge tours are not advertised, but they are available....."by invitation only". If you are interested, go and ask at Guest Services as soon as possible after you board. If you make the cut, you will receive a "special invitation" from the Captain, disclosing where and when to meet for your tour.

A small thing, but if you like to take photos of the ship, a cool one is to stand at the bottom of the atrium (deck 4, I believe) between the two banks of glass elevators and look straight up.

Cathy :-)

Don't miss the "magic mirror"! It was one of our favorite spots on the whole ship - the ladies in our group had TONS of fun taking photos there! It's located in the Entertainment Court near Celebrity Central and the disco.....just outside the shops. Have fun!!

• 3 months later...

Don't rush to go view your pictures in the photo gallery, but instead look for them as a slideshow on your television in the room. And if you enjoy music, look for your favorite artist or genre on the TV and enjoy with a glass of wine on the veranda.

Have a great trip!

Top deck forward is a wonderful spot with padded wicker furniture, chairs, sofas, 'beds' a great spot early in the morning enjoying the peace and quiet and a beautiful ocean view. Very early mornings we had the area to ourselves.

We loved the hot glass show, watched them every chance we could- we were so disapointed when they took it off the Silhouette plans. Before we sailed on the Equinox we thought the lawn was a gimmic- not at all we really enjoyed it-

Agree on a boarding lunch in Bistro on 5, our friends thought we were crazy to suggest skipping the buffet, but after we all enjoyed a nice relaxing lunch we know just where we will be heading next cruise!

Bev

Bridge tours are not advertised, but they are available....."by invitation only". If you are interested, go and ask at Guest Services as soon as possible after you board. If you make the cut, you will receive a "special invitation" from the Captain, disclosing where and when to meet for your tour.

A small thing, but if you like to take photos of the ship, a cool one is to stand at the bottom of the atrium (deck 4, I believe) between the two banks of glass elevators and look straight up.

Cathy :-)

Good advice. We ask for a Bridge Tour on Constellation and the Engine Control Room.

Our wish was granted. Do not be afraid to ask.

Go Aqua Class for sure!!! We were on the Equinox from April 1-11/11. It was awesome....bring a battery operated clock.....make sure you go to the lawn wine and cheese....Martini Bar a must....if you enjoy a few drinks buy the Premium Beverage package ...well worth it. Sunset bar for daytime and sail away...loved every minute of our cruise!!

As another poster mentioned, you can view many of your pictures on the TV. We also enjoyed the free "movies-on-demand" feature. We would watch part of a movie while we dressed for dinner, pause it, and pick it up in bed that evening or next morning. Great feature.

We really enjoyed the food and the service in the Bistro on 5 as well as the gelateria, and the evening buffet offerings were a delightful surprise.

Archived