Good Idea or Dumb Idea??

bankerbabe

I figured I would fill it with the ice bucket, but I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to empty it. I DEFINITELY would not dump it on the balcony - that would be incredibly rude. And I wouldn't want to leave it for 7 days - that would be gross.

I was thinking just a couple of inches of water at most, that way I could pick it up and dump it in the shower.

The appeal of having it on the balcony was so that we could escape any crowds and be free of the chair hogs. We like our quiet time to just watch waves and relax.

Isn't there a drain on the balcony? How does the rain water get removed?

Ya bet me to it! All the balconies have drains, on ships they're normally called "scuppers". But yes, there are drains on the balconies. Draining a pool would not be a problem as long as you take it took it easy and just didn't dump 40 gallons all at once.

That being said, I think taking a small pool along for your balcony is a bit silly.

You could bring along one of those hand held misting fans. I've seen them in Walgreens and think they are a great idea to keep cool. A lot easier than the blow-up pool. Just a thought. :)
Nah, that would be much too easy, not nearly as challenging or controversial. :D

So I had what I thought was a brilliant idea last night. But my husband thinks it's a really dumb idea. So I'm turning to my fellow Cruise Critic folks to see what you all think.

And yes, I know what a trivial little thing this is, but . . . . . I'm a dork.

We have an aft wrap balcony on our upcoming cruise, in March 2011. Since we have a large balcony, we will be spending a lot of time on it, particularly since we have two other families that will be joining us. I can picture us spending many afternoons hanging out on the balcony, drink in hand, watching the world go by.

We are arriving in Miami a couple of days early, so I thought I would just swing by a WalMart or other such store and pick up a small, inflatable children's pool. We could half-fill it with cool water so that while we are sitting on our large balcony enjoying the view, we could stick our feet in the water to cool off. I do it at home sometimes, when it's really warm outside it just feels good to stick your feet in the water.

I think it's brilliant. Hubby thinks it's stupid. What do you think?

Good idea? Maybe, maybe not. No matter how large our balcony we are rarely on it except for entering port so for us a dumb idea, and a pain in the back side.

For you, IF you are actually going to spend time on the balcony and have someone to blow the darn thing up, then fill it, and empty it daily, then refill and finally deflate it and get rid of it at the end of the cruise, then more power to you!

I brought a small little blow up tub with us for our daughters first cruise. She was happy as a lark on our balcony because she was old enough to know her brothers were in the pool but too young to understand why she could not go in the pool due to her still being in diapers. So count me among the "tacky" people who heeded the ships request for me to not to put my child in swimmies and put her in the pool.

If your looking for something to soak your feet in privately. Look on avon's website. They have a blow up personal size foot tub. I think it has handles on it, so you can fill it in the bathroom and then take it back once your done to expel the water. With it being blow up, it will be small and easy to pack. You know it's not that crazy of an idea, especially if your doing excursions that require a lot of walking. How nice it might be to come back to your room, have a drink, soak your toes add some of those fizzy revitalize your feet tablets and relax....privately.

For you, IF you are actually going to spend time on the balcony and have someone to blow the darn thing up, then fill it, and empty it daily, then refill and finally deflate it and get rid of it at the end of the cruise, then more power to you!

Of course she has, "someone to blow the darn thing up, then fill it, and empty it." Remember, she said her husband didn't like the idea. Why do you think he didn't like it? hehe

So I had what I thought was a brilliant idea last night. But my husband thinks it's a really dumb idea. So I'm turning to my fellow Cruise Critic folks to see what you all think.

And yes, I know what a trivial little thing this is, but . . . . . I'm a dork.

We have an aft wrap balcony on our upcoming cruise, in March 2011. Since we have a large balcony, we will be spending a lot of time on it, particularly since we have two other families that will be joining us. I can picture us spending many afternoons hanging out on the balcony, drink in hand, watching the world go by.

We are arriving in Miami a couple of days early, so I thought I would just swing by a WalMart or other such store and pick up a small, inflatable children's pool. We could half-fill it with cool water so that while we are sitting on our large balcony enjoying the view, we could stick our feet in the water to cool off. I do it at home sometimes, when it's really warm outside it just feels good to stick your feet in the water.

I think it's brilliant. Hubby thinks it's stupid. What do you think?

Anything that will help you enjoy that big, beautiful aft wrap balcony more can't be a bad idea. And since you get almost zero breeze/wind on the back of the boat, it can get very hot back there. You paid dearly for that balcony--enjoy it! I have used my hand-held battery fan/mister to keep cool on the aft balconies too. I think I'd buy a very small pool though.

Not sure if this was mentioned as I'm losing interest in the responses, but there is a drain at the lip of the balcony, so you can step on the pool side and just let it drain.

It will probably do a lot of slashing back there, as the aft of the ships sway a bit.

I also think you may find you are not going to spend as much time as you think there. I loved the large balcony, but all the excitement of a cruise was happening elsewhere.

Are you really sure that your friends and family want to spend the afternoon hanging out on YOUR balcony? It seems to me they paid for the cruise experience. In the past I have found that a balcony is nice for breakfast, a romantic nite cap, chilling and reading a book, or a happyhour with friends, but how long does somebody really want to hang out in somebody elses cabin/balcony?

Archived