Cruising in September

jerseygirl79

I'm planning a cruise for Sept 25 from Baltimore on the Pride. I've never sailed in September, but my mother-in-law has been scared off due to some reason telling her it's the peak of hurricane season. Is it really that bad to sail in September????? I can deal with missing a port or my itinerary changing.

Well, I was on Conquest when Ike hit Galveston and never saw my car again .. it was Sept.

I had never thought a hurricane would hit like that either .. but it can happen. Be prepared for rough waters and missing ports. If you have smooth sailing all the better. We missed 2 of 3 ports last Sept on Conquest. One gal says she has missed Caymans 3 times in a row now.

Just dont book if you are one who feels ports are important to you.. be flexible.

Most of our cruises have been September cruises. It's our favorite month to cruise. We have been very fortunate in that we have not encountered a hurricane. We are; however, very flexible and mostly go for the ship not the ports.

I sailed in Sept and our itinerary was reversed to avoid TS Matthew. It was rough the entire cruise, I still plan on cruising though. I would just be prepared for the seas to be rough and depending on what ports you are scheduled to visit, maybe missing them due to storms

It's a risky time of year to sail....that's why you find the best prices at that time. Since my birthday is at the end of Sept., I like to take a "birthday cruise" during that time. We have cruised in Sept. or early Oct. for the past 4 years. I guess I'm just lucky, because we have never had a hurricane affect us during this time. However, we did follow right behind a hurricane when we sailed to the southern Caribbean in Oct. 2 yrs. ago. Due to that hurricane, the beaches were washed away and littered with debris. But that is the most that a hurricane has affected us. Like I said, we've been lucky. My favorite time to sail is April or May, which is when you can also find good rates but not much risk, if any, of a hurricane spoiling your cruise.

It's a risky time of year to sail....that's why you find the best prices at that time. Since my birthday is at the end of Sept.,

Thats how I meet Grits, I stayed on Conquest for a 2nd week after Crazies, because it was my birthday the following week too. Grits had little birthday candles for all us birthday CC cruisers and was so nice.

Crazies had a almost uprising last Sept, all these people protesting about how the missing of ports was handled. They attempted to get into jamaica because our entertainers were waiting to be picked up. Opps. They tried but it was a named tropical storm and I heard later there were mudslides. I wouldnt have wanted to get in. It was raining cats and dogs when they were trying to get in. Some said we shouldnt have tried to get in, because that meant we had rough waters to go back thru to get to Caymans, which of course we missed too.

To me it was just part of the adventure. If you can take this kind of stuff in stride, it is a cheap time to cruise .. (and my birthday :) ) We had a newby trio of g/fs at dinner who were mad about missing Jamaica. She was like that's why I booked this cruise, they cant do this, and asking if I got our number at the purser's desk etc. She was mad and that was that, so I just let her rant and rave. Just understand Carnival doesnt guarantee the ports.

I'm planning a cruise for Sept 25 from Baltimore on the Pride. I've never sailed in September, but my mother-in-law has been scared off due to some reason telling her it's the peak of hurricane season. Is it really that bad to sail in September????? I can deal with missing a port or my itinerary changing.

If any of us could come up with a fail proof plan to predict weather, we'd be rich. Who could predict that there would be tornados in Arkansas in January or that Columbus, Ohio would have 60+ degree temps today?

As others have said, September can be a crap shoot regarding hurricanes or rough waters. One year or one week the waters can be as smooth as can be. One week or one year later the waters can turn on you.

Years ago DH & I thought we could out smart hurricane season by heading to the west coast for cruises. Then we ran into hurrican Otis breathing down our necks as our captain had to skirt around Cabo San Lucas on our way to Alcapulco. Long story short, we were late getting to our first port, had to miss our second port and were late getting in to our third port. But it was still a great cruise and everyone was safe and sound. It was an adventure.

Dianne

We sailed on the Pride this past September, and we'll be back on it next October. I've sailed on other cruises in October and November. Hurricane season generally runs between June and October or November - in nine cruises I've never once been affected by one.

Leave your mother in law at home and enjoy your September cruise. :)

We sailed on the Pride this past September, and we'll be back on it next October. I've sailed on other cruises in October and November. Hurricane season generally runs between June and October or November - in nine cruises I've never once been affected by one.

Leave your mother in law at home and enjoy your September cruise. :)

LMAO!!! That's the plan. I just looked at her and said, "I'm going." LOL

I can't live my life based on what might happen.

We cruise in September a lot. Look at my signature. No big deal. You take a chance with the possibility of hurricanes but don't worry about it. The ship will steer around them and there is the possiblity you may be re-routed but remember, you're still not working and you're on a cruise. This has happened to us only twice and we still had a great time. In fact, our next cruise is set for next September.

I also have often sailed mid to late September and into October. I have also never been majorly affected by hurricanes. Last September on the Freedom, to avoid a Tropical storm, our itin was changed to Eastern from Western and we were advised upon boarding, that is not a problem for me, as when I sail that time of year, I am prepared for last minute changes. Actually this time, once we boarded the ship, an announcement was made that the TS had frizzled and we were back on the Western route. Some of the best rates can be had in September and October also. I would not hesitate to travel again during that time. Just be prepared for last minute changes, as they will not sail you right into a big storm or hurricane. Hope it works out for you.:)

It's only bad IF there's a hurricane! And, the ship will avoid storms....just because storms are likely at that time of year, doesn't mean there will be one!

It's just like summertime when it's "thunderstorm season"....do they happen? Yes. All the time?...NO!!!

We ahve cruised in September for the past 5 years and only once did we experience any weather. It was last year and we did have 25 ' swells but they subsided in 12 hours or so. Other than that we have had some of the calmest seas in Sept

we have also cruised in September. Our Disney cruise there were two hurricanes out there and carnival and royal Caribbean went somewhere else. We had Nassau to ourselves. They had to clean up their private island before we docked, but it was beautiful. Our Valor cruise was September and it was perfect. If i did not have to contend with DS school schedule this would be our time to cruise. There is this feeling of adventure when there is a storm out there. I say cruise in September, but don't shirk on the cruise insurance especially then. BTW....we live in Florida and most hurricanes are no big deal. :cool:

come with us to san juan this will be our 4th there and again in sept we love it

knock on wood ( have never missed a port in 11 cruises ))!!!!

come with us to san juan this will be our 4th there and again in sept we love it

knock on wood ( have never missed a port in 11 cruises ))!!!!

Sounds like your a good luck charm. I'd love to come with you on Victory, but we're doing Baltimore because I have some folks afraid of flying. :mad: Maybe the next one! :)

Archived