Pack our Bags for us Please, 50 y/o couple

nhcpl57

ok, We ALWAYS pack far too much when we go anywhere. So we are asking for a little help from all you wise cruiser's.

BackGround: Both Early 50s, Luv the Beach, Not too bothered about formal nights, Like to dance at night and go too shows. We will prob. bring a wheeled case each and a carry on each

We will sail on Crown Feb 5th 2011 carribean

Help :) Thank you Steve and Carol

ok, We ALWAYS pack far too much when we go anywhere. So we are asking for a little help from all you wise cruiser's.

BackGround: Both Early 50s, Luv the Beach, Not too bothered about formal nights, Like to dance at night and go too shows. We will prob. bring a wheeled case each and a carry on each

We will sail on Crown Feb 5th 2011 carribean

Help :) Thank you Steve and Carol

Four pieces? Way too much! If you're not going formal, less to pack. Slacks/chinos for hubby; slacks/capris for you. Some assorted color coordinated shirts/tops to match, one pair of heels, sandals, shorts and swimsuit.

We sort of have cruise packing down to a science....due to the weight restrictions now. We used to take 3 suitcases plus a garment bag!

Now, one larger suitcase each...DH and I......and one small wheelie type for all HEAVY items, shoes, etc and all toiletries that can damage clothes and are heavy. Only thing we carry with us is one bag with medications and paperwork, etc. :-)

Now this coming cruise, we are going to see if we can get rid of the small wheelie and limit our packing to just 2? I am always envious of people who put out their luggage the night before disembarkation and have 2 SMALLER suitcases!

I HATE PACKING!

Anxious to hear any other suggestions.......

Mix his and hers in each bag. If one is delayed or lost you each will have something.

Remember that there are laundry facilities onboard.

Buy a casual piece or 2 as a souvenier in port and only pack it one way.

On our first cruise we packed way too much and have cut back each time we cruise. We are down to one suitcase a piece and a carry on. We have cut out the garment bag and I have learned to mix and match much better which cuts down on the shoes!!! I can always tell how much I overpacked by what I bring home that has not been worn. I too am envious of the carry on packer!!!

We always manage with 2 suitcases (23kg last 15 night cruise)and 1 wheeled small carry on for the last morning departure and flight. It's a challenge, but we had everything we needed with plenty of choices for me, lots of shoes and 2 suits for DH. I have cut right back on cosmetics, with one perfume and a small make up bag. I use the ship's toiletries.

I buy lightweight everything, such as shoes, costume jewellery and bags. One thing I always overpack is daywear, such as cropped trousers and skirts/tops. Lots of these come home unworn. I find in the Caribbean I'm either wearing shorts and t shirts in port, beachwear or evening clothes on the ship, so as long as I have something decent for daytime afternoon tea and wine tastings etc onboard, I'm cutting right back next cruise. :)

I have cut back to the following for a 7-10 day Caribbean cruise. Of course a cruise to Europe or Alaska or elsewhere is a little different, but still a one suitcase trip. I would like to get it down to a carryon only, but haven't been successful as yet.

Heavy things go into a SMALL carryon which can be attached to the top of the checked suitcase when retrieved at airport. Great for ease in transport to hotel/ship.

For the Caribbean 7-10 day cruise -

I like to wear a dress in the evening since we like to dance

2 swimsuits

1 coverup

1 pair white shorts

1 pair white capri (possibly a second pair of capris)

1 reversible dress

1 Chico long black travel dress with two silk tops for fancy nights

1 reversible skirt

1 pair black slacks and white sweater (travel clothes)

Various scarves, jewelry, two pair heels, two pair sandels, snorkel gear and a tote for land excursions/beach. a few cotton t-shirts along with underwear, makeup, etc.

Somehow this easily fills the 26" suitcase. I also use large plastic bags that compress clothes.

Helps that we are elite and have free laundry.

I have cut back to the following for a 7-10 day Caribbean cruise. Of course a cruise to Europe or Alaska or elsewhere is a little different, but still a one suitcase trip. I would like to get it down to a carryon only, but haven't been successful as yet.

Heavy things go into a SMALL carryon which can be attached to the top of the checked suitcase when retrieved at airport. Great for ease in transport to hotel/ship.

For the Caribbean 7-10 day cruise -

I like to wear a dress in the evening since we like to dance

2 swimsuits

1 coverup

1 pair white shorts

1 pair white capri (possibly a second pair of capris)

1 reversible dress

1 Chico long black travel dress with two silk tops for fancy nights

1 reversible skirt

1 pair black slacks and white sweater (travel clothes)

Various scarves, jewelry, two pair heels, two pair sandels, snorkel gear and a tote for land excursions/beach. a few cotton t-shirts along with underwear, makeup, etc.

Somehow this easily fills the 26" suitcase. I also use large plastic bags that compress clothes.

Helps that we are elite and have free laundry.

I'm intrigued with your reversible dress and skirt :confused:

The only way I have been able to edit is to actually write down what I will wear each day, on board, on tours, for the evening. By colour coordinating, it allows me some choice to switch things up and I never take any top or bottom unless it can be worn with two things.

Four pieces? Way too much! If you're not going formal, less to pack. Slacks/chinos for hubby; slacks/capris for you. Some assorted color coordinated shirts/tops to match, one pair of heels, sandals, shorts and swimsuit.

Pia the treadmill queen....you forgot to include sneakers ( running shoes ):p

4 suitcases way too much for sure! At least for us. For a 7 day cruise, we can easily do one suitcase and one carry-on (total between the two of us). We also skip the formal nights.

Best advice I have is to map out your days and bring lots of things that match with multiple items. You can wear a single pair of shorts at least twice. I also like to pack a lot of skirts since I can wear that during the day or at dinner time. Be reasonable about the shoes you really need. A pair of neutral heels or dressy sandals that you can wear to dinner, sneakers, and maybe one other pair? I've done a cruise totally casual, meaning no dining room and had only 2 pairs of shoes with me, one of which I wore down of course.

Try pretending that your bags did not make it and that you have 2 hours to shop for replacement clothing prior to boarding the ship. That is when you will really priortize between needs, wants, and not really needed or wanted.

I find that shoes are the biggest culprit. Now I wear my sneakers on the plane and DH wears his also. I bring one pair of flats (black) that will go with everything for the evening. One pair of flip flops for the sitting at the pool, etc.

Slacks - 3 pair - beige, navy & black

Tops - depends on room but they are light and I use tissue when packing

Shorts - see slacks above + one more pair.

Bathing suits - 2. I always rinse out one after use and have one that is dry. I also bring two coverups. These items are very light.

I make up smaller bottles of shampoo and conditioner, etc. Also we always bring a trial size shaving creme and bic type razor for debarkation day. Then leave them.

DH is a different story. Slacks, dress shirts (2) and 2 ties along with nice loafers for the formal nights take up a lot of room and are heavy. So on a 10dayer still have 2 large and one medium pieces of luggage. We always get in a day or two early to the port. Jetblue still allows one bag each free so we pay for the third. Carryons hold meds, paperwork, a book or two and camera stuff and those last minute things.

We buy our wine at the port before getting on the ship and none left when we leave:D

Now to look at those reversable skirts, etc.;)

I am always so jealous of those who can somehow manage better than I do. But I am much better than I was.:D

PS. We always make sure that the 2 big pieces weigh 45 lbs or less. Leaves some room for buying stuff.

Re: cpffeemaker - now with the nice brewed coffee, I get to leave all that stuff at home too

After way overpacking for our Nov-Dec cruises (only because we were going to be on HAL for 24 nights without free laundry/dry cleaning), I have found religion once again (I say this after every cruise). Leaving next week, and I have 2 pairs of black slacks (one is a print), 4 pairs of black shorts (different lengths, some nylon for the beach), 4 tshirts for day, 3 shirts for evening, one formal outfit with a reversible jacket, 3 black swimsuits, one beach coverup, one shawl and one pareo. And a pair of jammies, just in case. Boring, yes, but it all fits in one suitcase, including my shoes and toiletries, and weighs about 40 pounds. However, we're bringing a 3rd suitcase for our snorkel gear and wetsuits, since we're flying Southwest and don't have to squeeze.

Yes, that is a US store. They also sell via catalog and online. They have some great sales both in store and on line. www.coldwatercreek.com is their website, I believe.

Thanks. :) I had a quick look but can't see reversible dresses. I found some here though ... What a great idea for travelling.

http://www.kaleidoscope.co.uk/Search/productlist.stm?Ntk=PRIMARY&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=P_MasterItem&searchType=FullText&N=0&Ntt=reversible+dresses&x=0&y=0

After seriously over-packing on our last cruise (2 wheeled cases, a toiletry bag, a valet bag for the suit and 2 dresses AND a carry-on :eek:), I vowed we would NOT make that same mistake this time. 2 suitcases, a smaller toiletry bag -which will have to be checked in for the flight- and a carry-on. That's it. I have a dressy skirt and two blouses, hubby will bring one suit; that will suffice for formal nights; everything else will be casual!

Most people, including me, overpack . . . I'm always cutting back. For a four-month contract -no uniform, I bring my own clothes - one suitcase under 50 pounds, and that has to include some bulky stuff like medication, vitamins, etc., for 4 months, and of course formal wear - black tux, simple for guys. You plan your wardrobe out so you can mix and match stuff. I don't want to look like I'm always in the same outfit, so with only 1 suit, 1 tux, and 1 sports jacket, and different colored shirts, and combinations of pants - it works. No one really cares if you wear the same two T-shirts forever at the pool or in the gym, just as long as you wash them once in a while. I dropped ties almost completely since you rarely need them (except on formal nights if you don't take a tux) on Princess. There was a cruise director on Holland who would be on for three or four months who only took a mid size rollerboard suitcase - and she needed formals . . . and shoes! But she had carefully thought out her wardrobe. Basically wore the same outfit much of the time, pretty much the same basic shoes, just used a lot of fancy silk scarves to make it look totally different every day. And if you work on the ship for four months on a world cruise you are going to generally be in a least two different climate areas. Still, planning carefully . . . one suitcase, 50 pounds.

You do a lot of outfit changes on ships. If you're only wearing a formal shirt for three hours you don't have to send it to the laundry every time.

Black shoes, brown shoes, Tevas. Sorry gals, but you really don't need all those shoes! The other gals may be watching your feet, but your husband and all the men on board aren't watching your feet!

Now coming home - with all the stuff I've picked up - different story. The key here is one of those vinyl bags they sell on the ship. I stick one all folded up in with my luggage and then all the junk I pick up goes in that.

I see some folks come on board and they look like they've brought everything they own with them. Less is more and a lot easier.

Regards, Richard

AS much as I try I cannot take less then what I am taking for our next cruise

1 suitcase each under 50 lbs ...I aim for 40 lbs clothes only

1 duffle bag very light empty ..ALL heavy stuff goes in ,shoes snorkeling gear toiletries water shoes,sandals toiletries and sunscreen stuff,water bottles,anything gel or liquid

We each have a roller carry on -all needs for 2 days I night ,hairdryer meds etc

I have a purse and my son has a back pack

I also carry those 3in1 sheets for laundry .Believe it or not I will do laundry after 1 week Son exercises every day and we will get our beach clothes wet and yucky so all goes for a scrub

One day I will have this as an art form For me toiletries and makeup are the heaviest .I limit my shoes to day sandals , 2 pairs dress shoes one so -so 1 fancy -running shoes I travel in 1 thin slippers

I always look like a pack mule but I just cannot seem to be able to travel with less I like to dress so cutting back on that would curb my enjoyment I like to wear different stuff every day

Good Luck choosing

oh yes I do pay for the bags!!

I don't believe in packing light -- it's not like I'd be saving the planet or feeding the poor by doing so, so why bother. To me, a cruise is a long-looked-forward-to event and furthermore, it's my vacation -- this is the time to wear my favourite clothes and not be "making do."

The one "hint" I have is the same one I have for almost my entire wardrobe: solid colours; avoid prints.

Here's my packing list for a 7- to 10-day warm weather cruise.

For night-time:

2 cocktail dresses

2-3 sundresses (depending on how many repeats I want to do)

1-2 "fancy" skirts, silk or fine cotton, for dinner

For day-time:

2-3 pr. shorts for off-the-ship activities (black, khaki, white denim or blue denim)

2 very casual skirts for "apres-pool/pre-shower for dinner" wear onboard, i.e. playing trivia, etc. (sweatshirt fabric or cargo skirts, that kind of thing)

5 sleeveless shells/t-shirts that coordinate with all the above

2-3 bathing suits; a cover-up (or 2)

Shoes -- I own a lot of shoes and they don't do me any good sitting in their boxes at home!:

flip flops in colours to match every shirt -- these weigh nothing so why not have fun?!

2 pair dressy sandals for evening (generally one black and one other depending on dress/skirt colours)

1 pair evening sandals

Travel outfit:

A jean skirt or khaki skirt and tee and ballet flats for easy slip-off at security and for Chef's Table, plus blazer/tights if coming from a cold climate.

1 "every night" small handbag and 1 evening bag

Books. Lots and lots of books.

This all fits in one 25" suitcase plus a relatively small carry-on and I've never had to pay overweight fees yet.

Archived