Safe water activities for a non-swimmer?

Good day! Although I can't swim (I plan to learn one day :rolleyes: I started lessons in college but never finished) I love being on water. I'll be sailing on Navigator in February and wondered if there any safe water activities for me on the boat or on the islands. I guess hot tubs and boat tours are obvious but I was wondering about other ones (water slides that end in shallow water, for example?). Thanks!

Oh I am really interested in seeing the answers to this. I am similar to you (I can just about float and splash).

The pools on ships don't tend to be deep and they are not big enough swim properly anyway so you will be fine chilling out in the pool.

You still have plenty of time to take lessons! Check with your local community college, YMCA or Red Cross. They can point you in the direction of adult swim classes, and it just takes a few lessons to get comfortable.

One of my favorite water activities is "deep water walking". And it is good exercise. Get in the deepest water you can stand in, then walk back and forth.You can add things like walking side ways (good for the hips), doing jumping jacks, and doing a breast stroke as you walk. Having someone else to walk with makes the time go faster.

http://www.womenfitness.net/fitinwater.htm

http://www.afstore.org/Products-By-Type/Fitness-Nutrition_3/WATER-EXERCISE-POOLS-SPAS-AND-ARTHRITIS

http://waterwellnessworkouts.com/

This may be beyond your comfort level but I don't think you would have problems with the snorkeling excursions. You, technically, don't have to be a swimmer in order to be a snorkeler. All of the tour operators will give you a life vest to wear. With the life vest on, you will not sink. All you need to do is propel yourself. Try it first in shallow water and then work your way into deeper water. If you've never done it, it's a great experience.

• 3 weeks later...
Where are you stopping? If you stop in Grand Cayman you can do the stingray encounter, shallow enough to stand. You could also rent snorkeling equipment from a beach and float where you can touch. Would still be pretty cool.

If I float on a mat in the ocean, what's to stop me from floating into the deep part and not being able to get back (without embarrassing myself)? :confused: This is a genuine question because again, I don't swim. And are these floats at risk of tipping over?

This may be beyond your comfort level but I don't think you would have problems with the snorkeling excursions. You, technically, don't have to be a swimmer in order to be a snorkeler. All of the tour operators will give you a life vest to wear. With the life vest on, you will not sink. All you need to do is propel yourself. Try it first in shallow water and then work your way into deeper water. If you've never done it, it's a great experience.

Goodness, I just can't see myself being in water and not thrashing and panicking, even with the vest on! How does one stay upright in water anyway? From the few lessons I did a long time ago, I remember the natural tendency was to float on my back.

Goodness, I just can't see myself being in water and not thrashing and panicking, even with the vest on! How does one stay upright in water anyway? From the few lessons I did a long time ago, I remember the natural tendency was to float on my back.

Thrashing is not very productive.

You will float in the water, so let it support you. Use gentle movements to control your position and direction. Don't fight the water...work with it.

Swimming is a basic life skill that everyone should be expected to know. It is also very dangerous. Unless you are handicap there is no excuse not to be able to do so. From what you have stated in your posts, you should probably stay away from the water because the tour operators will not be able to give you enough attention. Just stick with land only excursions.

Swimming is a basic life skill that everyone should be expected to know. It is also very dangerous. Unless you are handicap there is no excuse not to be able to do so. From what you have stated in your posts, you should probably stay away from the water because the tour operators will not be able to give you enough attention. Just stick with land only excursions.

I agree that I have to learn to swim. I had a near drowning experience when I was trying to learn at age 15 so my fear is still very real. I'm pretty sure I won't be going into any body of water unless it's pretty shallow and I can stand in it.

Archived