Century question

sandravb79

Hello,

We cruised on the Century 2 years ago, and really loved the ship. We have booked today for the Panama Canal cruise at the end of April, and am very excited about it.

However, people on another message board and on Facebook are being very negative about it, saying the ship is worn out and staff not good.

Please tell me this is not true and that it's still a nice ship...

:(:confused:

I do not believe it is true. Century was our first cruise ship in August 2006 and we fell in love with it and Celebrity. 15 cruises on Celebrity later we were on Century again in December of 2009 and it was just as good as the first time. It is not Solstice Class, but it is a very nice ship with a usually wonderful crew. That being said, the crew does change, but we have never had a bad crew on a Celebrity ship.

Enjoy your cruise

Hello,

We cruised on the Century 2 years ago, and really loved the ship. We have booked today for the Panama Canal cruise at the end of April, and am very excited about it.

However, people on another message board and on Facebook are being very negative about it, saying the ship is worn out and staff not good.

Century had a cruise a couple of months ago where she experienced some mechanical problems and the cruise had to be cancelled during the second day. A lot of people on that cruise were angry about how Celebrity handled the situation and are some have resorted to badmouthing Celebrity to get revenge. I would take these negative reviews with a grain of salt - the people making them have a hidden agenda (revenge). The vast majority of people who sail on Century have a great time (including myself). While she is the oldest ship in the fleet, she is kept in good shape and is still a very nice ship. I would not be worried at all.

Thanks for the replies.

Century was our second cruise, and to me, it will always be a "special" cruise. I don't know, for some reason, I am sentimental about that one :)

I am glad to read it's still a nice ship. Now I'll be able to sleep, haha!

We were on the transatlantic right after the cancelled cruise and found the staff to be great, the ship in excellent condition, considering her age, and had a great time. This was our first Celebrity cruise and would sail Century again if the cruise met our needs.

I'm glad to read the positive replies.

I had a hard time sleeping last night :)

It was such a spur of the moment decision, I didn't do any research. I hardly know where we are even going! Or what there is to see or do.

It just sounded nice, I had good memories of the ship (well, we won't have a balcony as we did the previous time. The price difference is basically our Med cruise for the Fall) and teh price seemed OK.

It wasn't until afterwards that I was thinling "OMG, what have I done!" lol.

But your replies make me feel way more confident again :)

Hello,

Like you, We are booked on this same cruise doing the Panama Canal April/May. There were a few that tried to bad mouth the Century, but reading other posts, nearly all say it is well maintained.

Hope to meet up with you once we set sail in April. Also, there is a thread in the roll call section on this sail.

I don't think there is anything to worry about the Century.

Bob

Hello Bob,

I already posted on the roll call thread.

Previous time when we were on Century, we had an informal meet 'n' greet with teh role call people, and I met wonderful people, like Lois R and Waterbaby :)

On RCCL, we twice were with enough people to have them organise the Cruise Critic meeting. It was always a nice experience. (btw, on our Med cruise, I had posted a picture on teh roll call thread, and all of a sudden, the day before the cruise, in the middle of Venice, people from the Roll Call started talking to us because they had recognized us!)

We are not the people who like to "stick" to others for a whole vacation, but I like it when you walk around on the ship and you see familiar faces and can chat for a short while, or have a drink together :)

Hello Bob,

I already posted on the roll call thread.

Previous time when we were on Century, we had an informal meet 'n' greet with teh role call people, and I met wonderful people, like Lois R and Waterbaby :)

On RCCL, we twice were with enough people to have them organise the Cruise Critic meeting. It was always a nice experience. (btw, on our Med cruise, I had posted a picture on teh roll call thread, and all of a sudden, the day before the cruise, in the middle of Venice, people from the Roll Call started talking to us because they had recognized us!)

We are not the people who like to "stick" to others for a whole vacation, but I like it when you walk around on the ship and you see familiar faces and can chat for a short while, or have a drink together :)

Great, we have signed up for the role call and hope there is a one time meeting where we all can have a drink together. Sounds like fun. Like you, we tend to stay to ourselves when traveling, but always like to meet at these gatherings.

See you on board.

Bob

We were also on the Century two weeks ago and I especially found the officers and crew to exceptional. They were constantly visible and happily mingling with the passengers. Every time the Captain was in the public areas he shook hands and thanked the passengers for sailing Celebrity. We also met him returning to the ship as we were leaving, in Cozumel, and again shook our hands and wished us a nice day.

The only worn spot I noticed was a small area of the carpeting in the Rondezvous lounge, starboard side, as we went down a little ramp. The carpeting was torn. The ship is lovely, with all the wood touches.

Mary

Mary, I thought of you when a previous poster said how nice it is to run into people that you've met! It was a rare day when we didn't see you.

I thought the ship was fine -- the carpeting in the theatre was brighter in 1999 though.

Hi Sandra, hope you and your Mom are both doing well:) I am going

on Century in May and I have no worries about her. Actually I can't

wait to sail her again:D

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hello Lois!

We are both doing well, how are you?

Which cruise will you be doing, the Wine Cruise or Alaska?

Hi Sandra,:) things here are ok. I am going on the Pacific Coastal which

starts in San Diego and ends in Vancouver. Alaska starts after this cruise.

They are not calling it a "Wine Cruise" but we do an overnight in San Francisco:D which should be fun!

Hello Lois. Remember Karon and Jim from the Summit in May?

Hope to read a review of your May cruise on the Century. We are doing it in Sept. in reverse of your itinerary. We start in Vancouver to San Diego. I am curious as to what you will be doing in San Francisco. I have always wanted to see Napa Valley and have already booked the ship's tour which is entitled "The Heritage Train through Napa Valley". I have found only a couple of posts concerning this tour and they are all positive. If by any chance you opt for this particular tour, I would love to hear your take on it. I think this is a great itinerary no matter which direction one is traveling.

Karon

When we were in San Francisco a couple of years ago, in the hotel they had a flyer to do that Napa heritage train ride. I so wanted to do it, but we didn't have enough time for it during that trip. It's still on my To Do list for a next time (because I so want to go back to San Francisco)

Something we enjoyed a lot while being there was visiting the Japanese garden in the big park (Golden Gate park?) It is SO beautiful and peaceful.

Here is the URL to yelp.com reviews of the Napa Valley Wine train:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/napa-valley-wine-train-napa

Read the reviews and decide if you still want to go. Very touristy. IMVHO there are many more worthwhile sites to visit in the SF area, especially if your time is limited.

Bon voyage,

Betsy

Hello Lois. Remember Karon and Jim from the Summit in May?

Hope to read a review of your May cruise on the Century. We are doing it in Sept. in reverse of your itinerary. We start in Vancouver to San Diego. I am curious as to what you will be doing in San Francisco. I have always wanted to see Napa Valley and have already booked the ship's tour which is entitled "The Heritage Train through Napa Valley". I have found only a couple of posts concerning this tour and they are all positive. If by any chance you opt for this particular tour, I would love to hear your take on it. I think this is a great itinerary no matter which direction one is traveling.

Karon

Hi Karon, yes I remember you:) we cruised and ran into each other

at the airport too.

I have been to SF before and won't be doing that tour. Way more $

than I want to spend and I have been to Napa and Sonoma before:D

To be honest, I have not decided what I am doing exursion wise

yet. I do know walking around San Francisco is one of the nicest

things a person can do:)It is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Archived