How "Formal" is Formal?

My mom and I are getting ready to embark on the Majesty of the Seas. We are first time Royal Caribbean cruisers, so are a little unsure of how "dressy" we have to get for formal night. This is a four day cruise, and we honestly don't want to pack formal dresses because we are only taking a carry-on the plane. :)

Would we be admitted to the main dining room on formal night if I wore a sundress and my mom wore black dress pants? Your thoughts are appreciated!

My mom and I are getting ready to embark on the Majesty of the Seas. We are first time Royal Caribbean cruisers, so are a little unsure of how "dressy" we have to get for formal night. This is a four day cruise, and we honestly don't want to pack formal dresses because we are only taking a carry-on the plane. :)

Would we be admitted to the main dining room on formal night if I wore a sundress and my mom wore black dress pants? Your thoughts are appreciated!

I'm not sure about the sundress but then again i've never seen anyone turned away either. You will see all levels of "formal" on cruises. I've seen tuxedos and ball gowns to just a simple dress on formal nights.

Regular nights I have seen people wear jeans with holes in them (distressed jeans) be admitted to the diningroom. I think they can be real easy going as far as the dress code.

Do what you want to do.

I rent a tux on board, sisters bring a dress.

But to answer, Yes, you will be admitted.

And Yes, you will not be the worst dressed there.

NOW RUN AND DO NOT LOOK BACK ( this thread could get nasty )

:rolleyes:

I was on Majesty in October. I love dressing up for formal night since I don't get to very often at home. I was really upset when my zipper broke as I was getting my dress on! After pouting for a while I was convinced to just wear my sundress that I had for the next night. I felt a little awkward due to the fact that a lot of people were dressed up, but at the same time, there were people in khakis and polos and even a few in jeans and a shirt, some girls were wearing "dressy" shorts as well.

Bring whatever you think you will be comfortable in. They won't turn you away unless you're dressed really outrageously.

There will be a good number of women in cocktail dresses. You won't be turned away, but you will not be "formal", either. If you have a lightweight dressy dress (thinking little black dress), that wouldn't be any harder to pack than a sundress and would be a bit more formal looking!

the shorter the cruise the less formal it gets

You should be fine on what you are choosing to wear

My last cruise i saw a guy wearing baggies and a cutoff muscle shirt that showed his stomach:eek:

You'll be fine in a sun dress. Perhaps dressed better than alot of others. This is a short cruise. Don't worry about it.

the shorter the cruise the less formal it gets

You should be fine on what you are choosing to wear

My last cruise i saw a guy wearing baggies and a cutoff muscle shirt that showed his stomach:eek:

Yup, I agree with the above posts. We've been on several majesty cruises and have seen people in jean shorts and t-shirts on "formal night" be allowed into the dining room. The weekend Majesty trips have a different type of cruiser than many of the other ships, imo.

You'll be more dressed up than some if you wear a sun dress, so enjoy and don't worry about it. :)

I would have to guess the shorter the cruise, the less formal. A little black dress w/ accesories or black pants and a blingy top and you'll be fine. I think sundresses should remain in the sun! :D lol

[but from what it sounds like, Majesty gets a very informal crowd maybe?]

DH and I have always dressed formally for formal night on our cruises. He wears a dark suit, shirt and tie. I wear either a long dress, or dressy pants outfit (sparkly). But. We will be on the Monarch for a 4-night cruise later this month and we have decided not to bring the formal clothes. Some will say if you don't dress formal you should go to the buffet. I don't worry too much about what others think. :) This time DH will be wearing khaki slacks and a polo shirt, I will be wearing black slacks and a nice top. If others don't like it, they don't have to look. I know there will be people dressed nicer than us, and those who aren't dressed as nice. Wear what you like/are comfortable in, and enjoy your upcoming cruise. :)

I've worn anything from a simple strapless cotton cocktail dress to a full length beaded evening gown, wear what is comfy, fits well and you enjoy. Most important thing about your cruise is having fun!

...NOW RUN AND DO NOT LOOK BACK ( this thread could get nasty )

:rolleyes:

great comment! why is that though? ppl are so sensitive to this subject. I really dont care what you wear. It doesnt affect me, doesnt enhance my dining experience nor does it bother me if you over or under dress

yet there are ppl on here that come out and dictate what ppl should wear

Archived