Dress Code

thecruiser7

Personally, I would rather X forgo the dress code as well. It has been stated here hundreds of times that the attraction of Celebrity differs for each person, and people who say "if you don't want to dress up, then cruise with NCL" are guilty of stereotyping everyone with a different opinion into the "young slob" category.

Having said that, X's dress code is what it is at this time, and to me, whether or not you agree with them, they need to be followed. It's no different than the idiot with 63 items in the express lane at Wal-Mart - no one is above the rules. :mad:

Like everyone else, I have my preferences, which, while I may state, I do not force on anyone else. But, as always, if we all follow the Celebrity dress code as it is written, then these discussions would cease. I may notice what others wear, but have never, ever, complained to any Celebrity personnel, nor has anyone's choice of dress "ruined" my cruise - pro or con - even when carried to the extreme. (I'm speaking of what I would consider very, very casual, or pink feather boas).:)

But what I saw two weeks ago, and what the waiter commented about, did surprise me, and was not Celebrity's dress code. Not even the revised standard.

Mary

Post #2 refers to their sons wearing tuxes on formal nights and #27 and #28 refers to long gowns on formal nights. This thread is pretty mild compared to all the previous ones for those who enjoy formal attire and don't want anyone else "ruining" the atmosphere. I never said they are mandatory. If they were, very few would be in the MDR on formal nights. I hope this is the end of the same topic phrased different ways about the same subject. If you want to enjoy formal attire do so. Those who wish to be a little less formal do so and not worry about it. Thankfully, Celebrity allows people who prefer a little less formal in the MDR on formal nights as long as they are dressed decently.

None of these posts says anything about what people should or should not do. Is it always necessary to sir the pot?

The buffet options last May on formal nights on the Eclipse, were pitiful as I have said before on other dress code threads. I did wear a sport coat and tie in the MDR on the remaining 2 formal nights on last May's Baltic Eclipse and was definitely not in the minority. And you know what, after spending $10,000 for the three of us on that cruise, I refused to spend extra for the specialty restaurants. If Celebrity would expand the buffet or have the casual dining boulevard as they used to on the M class ships, that would be fine, too, and would definitely solve the problem. Personally, I think things will be changing and this will no longer be an issue in the future.

You missed my point. In your other post you stated that many on this board or thread are "pushing" the fact that they wear tuxes, etc. I don't believe they are other than stating thats what they wear. Point is there are just as many who are "pushing" using your criteria wearing something else.

It appears to me that NCL is the one that gives you a choice. (According to what I'm reading, you can either go to one restaurant or another.(Am I seeing this wrong?)

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

When I book a cruise I never look at the dress code first....I suppose I should start....

I look at......

(1) itinerary & port the ship is leaving from

(2) the cost

(3) the size and type of ship. The cruise line

(4) balcony is always nice

From what I'm reading, If I could choose the dress code, I'd pick NCL

Right now Celebrity gives folks a choice. Those who wish to dress formally in the strict sense of the word are free to do so. I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with those who wish to dress more casually.

Suggest you move to Carnival or Windjammer (clothes?????) where sleeveless t-shirts (to include arm pit hair) and flip flops are considered "good to go" for dinner.

Thank you for your informed suggestion. You obviously know me better than I do and all the different reasons why I would have chosen a Celebrity cruise over Carnival. But if your non-judgemental, non-stereotyping attitude is indicative of Celebrity passengers, I'm happy I chose Celebrity :)

My point is that regardless of cruise line, I'm in favour of choice. I'm not offended by shorts or sandals as long as people are clean and presentable. I'd rather casual attire than snobby, elitist behaviour and attitudes. But I would never denegrate someone else for their tastes or suggest they cruise somewhere else. Aren't people and their character more important than what they wear?

You missed my point. In your other post you stated that many on this board or thread are "pushing" the fact that they wear tuxes, etc. I don't believe they are other than stating thats what they wear. Point is there are just as many who are "pushing" using your criteria wearing something else.

OK, one last post on this inane topic. The point is that we do adhere to the dress code, except for my wearing a sport coat and tie. I do not own a suit and will not purchase one to wear once or twice a year for a cruise. I believe the dress code will eventually change. Celebrity has to appeal to a wide contingent of people, and cannot depend on the same cruisers over and over again. Change is good. I do not care what others wear whether it is formal or not so formal. It does not upset me either way. I have never seen flip flops, shorts, tank tops, etc. in any dining room on any ship, even, yes, Carnival. End of my discussion and will be happy when no more dress code threads are started.

Thank you for your informed suggestion. You obviously know me better than I do and all the different reasons why I would have chosen a Celebrity cruise over Carnival. But if your non-judgemental, non-stereotyping attitude is indicative of Celebrity passengers, I'm happy I chose Celebrity :)

My point is that regardless of cruise line, I'm in favour of choice. I'm not offended by shorts or sandals as long as people are clean and presentable. I'd rather casual attire than snobby, elitist behaviour and attitudes. But I would never denegrate someone else for their tastes or suggest they cruise somewhere else. Aren't people and their character more important than what they wear?

OK PAL - Answer this question - would you like to sit next to someone who did not shower before, wore a torn off sleeve t-shirt, and smelled badly sitting next to you when the rules for conduct, that you agreed to upon boarding, had a seat next to you in a formal restruant setting? I had this happen on CARNIVAL and PRINCESS. How do you feel about people who break rules of conduct?

I wait with baited breath for your response.

OK PAL - Answer this question - would you like to sit next to someone who did not shower before, wore a torn off sleeve t-shirt, and smelled badly sitting next to you when the rules for conduct, that you agreed to upon boarding, had a seat next to you in a formal restruant setting? I had this happen on CARNIVAL and PRINCESS. How do you feel about people who break rules of conduct?

I wait with baited breath for your response.

Zouave, if you would have paid attention to my posts you would have noticed thay I said "...as long as they are clean and presentable...". I wouldn't call someone who "did not shower before" and "smelled badly" clean and presentable. How does a dress code ensure personal hygene anyway?

I am genuinely sorry to hear you had a bad experience dining with someone rude like that. I can see how that would influence your opinion on dress codes.

Celebrity does publish its dress policy, but even within that policy there is room for interpretation - that's why there is this great debate going. So it's not as clear as breaking a rule or not. I personally prefer more casual while on vacation, but again, I have no problem with folks that enjoy dressing like it's the Queen's gala.

Oh, and glad to hear I'm tour PAL:) I love making new friends.

Zouave, if you would have paid attention to my posts you would have noticed thay I said "...as long as they are clean and presentable...". I wouldn't call someone who "did not shower before" and "smelled badly" clean and presentable. How does a dress code ensure personal hygene anyway?

I am genuinely sorry to hear you had a bad experience dining with someone rude like that. I can see how that would influence your opinion on dress codes.

Celebrity does publish its dress policy, but even within that policy there is room for interpretation - that's why there is this great debate going. So it's not as clear as breaking a rule or not. I personally prefer more casual while on vacation, but again, I have no problem with folks that enjoy dressing like it's the Queen's gala.

Oh, and glad to hear I'm tour PAL:) I love making new friends.

OK - we are closing on the agreement. I sailed Azamara last summer (no formals) and never found a situation like I had observed previously. However, If rules are posted - follow them. If not - do your own thing (one exception - a guy and gal on my first Windjammer cruise who doned coconut shell attire and came to dinner that way - I have pictures to prove it!) I dress well to honor those who have had my back and those who paid my salary for 30 years of Army service. Last cruise I organaized a social for all vets on board - guys and gals from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War and Gulf and GWOT. The next night I bought wine for the vets and theris spouses and made a tost to all in the dinning room. Wasn't a dry eye. Cost me $700.00 but it showed my and other's respect. - Dressing is exactly that, showing respect to the ship's policy and your fellow passengers.

My lousy ten Veteran cents.

OK - we are closing on the agreement. I sailed Azamara last summer (no formals) and never found a situation like I had observed previously. However, If rules are posted - follow them. If not - do your own thing (one exception - a guy and gal on my first Windjammer cruise who doned coconut shell attire and came to dinner that way - I have pictures to prove it!) I dress well to honor those who have had my back and those who paid my salary for 30 years of Army service. Last cruise I organaized a social for all vets on board - guys and gals from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War and Gulf and GWOT. The next night I bought wine for the vets and theris spouses and made a tost to all in the dinning room. Wasn't a dry eye. Cost me $700.00 but it showed my and other's respect. - Dressing is exactly that, showing respect to the ship's policy and your fellow passengers.

My lousy ten Veteran cents.

Hey Zouave, not lousy 10 cents, but words wisely spoken.

I agree that we need to show more respect in the world today (especially to those who sacrifice on our behalf). I respect that you choose to show respect through dress. That's a classy act. I choose to show respect through dress for occassions that are important to me too. But for me vacation time is less formal. But for people celebrating important occassions on board and want to be formal - more power to ya.

Hey Zouave, not lousy 10 cents, but words wisely spoken.

I agree that we need to show more respect in the world today (especially to those who sacrifice on our behalf). I respect that you choose to show respect through dress. That's a classy act. I choose to show respect through dress for occassions that are important to me too. But for me vacation time is less formal. But for people celebrating important occassions on board and want to be formal - more power to ya.

I owe you a round of cheer. HOOHA!

Absolutely people and their character are more important than what they wear. It does say something about someone's character if they purposely ignore a dress code that is specifically requested, caring only about their own wishes. That has nothing to do with people's taste, it's just plain selfish and inconsiderate.

Absolutely people and their character are more important than what they wear. It does say something about someone's character if they purposely ignore a dress code that is specifically requested, caring only about their own wishes. That has nothing to do with people's taste, it's just plain selfish and inconsiderate.

I'm quoting this message, but am referencing to this and other posts who said a similar things in regards to not respecting the dress code.

This thread, unlike most, was not about what can/could/should I wear in the MDR, but about if people would like/prefer that the dress code of Celebrity was changed to something similar than the dress code of NCL (at least as per their website if not as per the reality of NCL restaurants).

I think most people who sail Celebrity and decide to eat in the MDR, formal or casual night, do abide by the dress code. Even though many, or some, would prefer to dress more casually, they dress as per the requirements.

I can certainly understand and respect how many people do enjoy dressing up, and the formal atmosphere throughout the ship, although personally, as nice as it is to see everyone dressed up, it is not the kind of clothes I feel most comfortable in. Truth is, as long as people are dressed presentable, look clean, and act happy and good mannered, I don't mind what they are wearing.

I've seen people dressed in a very nice dress or suit (cruise and land) but being rude to a waiter, pushing people around, cutting in line, speaking inappropriately, etc. To me that's a thousand times worse than not being dressed formally, and it certainly ruins my mood for as much time as I let it.

I am aware X gives options to those who don't want to dress up, but personally the buffet for dinner is far from my first choice. So I will respect the dress code and go to the MDR, but in MY opinion, the ideal situation would be to go to the MDR dressed casually (smart casual), every night.

As for those suggesting those who don't want to dress formally should look for another line… I do find that comment out of place. My family and I, as most people, chose Celebrity for many reasons besides the dress code, and will not go to NCL or Carnival just to be able to not dress up, if everything else these lines offer does not appeal to us.

I'm quoting this message, but am referencing to this and other posts who said a similar things in regards to not respecting the dress code.

This thread, unlike most, was not about what can/could/should I wear in the MDR, but about if people would like/prefer that the dress code of Celebrity was changed to something similar than the dress code of NCL (at least as per their website if not as per the reality of NCL restaurants).

I think most people who sail Celebrity and decide to eat in the MDR, formal or casual night, do abide by the dress code. Even though many, or some, would prefer to dress more casually, they dress as per the requirements.

I can certainly understand and respect how many people do enjoy dressing up, and the formal atmosphere throughout the ship, although personally, as nice as it is to see everyone dressed up, it is not the kind of clothes I feel most comfortable in. Truth is, as long as people are dressed presentable, look clean, and act happy and good mannered, I don't mind what they are wearing.

I've seen people dressed in a very nice dress or suit (cruise and land) but being rude to a waiter, pushing people around, cutting in line, speaking inappropriately, etc. To me that's a thousand times worse than not being dressed formally, and it certainly ruins my mood for as much time as I let it.

I am aware X gives options to those who don't want to dress up, but personally the buffet for dinner is far from my first choice. So I will respect the dress code and go to the MDR, but in MY opinion, the ideal situation would be to go to the MDR dressed casually (smart casual), every night.

As for those suggesting those who don't want to dress formally should look for another line… I do find that comment out of place. My family and I, as most people, chose Celebrity for many reasons besides the dress code, and will not go to NCL or Carnival just to be able to not dress up, if everything else these lines offer does not appeal to us.

Well said. Thank you!

I agree completely with you that suggesting people should go elsewhere is not necessary. Fortunately there are plenty of options for those who don't care to dress up. The MDR is smart casual most of the time and the specialty restaurants are smart casual all the time. The buffet has been recently expanded and there is always dining on the balcony or in the cabin. There are only a couple of nights in the dining room that are formal, so if one chooses Celebrity, for whatever reason, they should be able to find a nice place to be smart casual every night. Seems reasonable to me.

My response was to a comment made my another poster and not to the OP.

Sure wish Celebrity had this dress code.....

Just curious how many don't really like to dress up on cruises........

Please don't get personal & attack others...It's just a poll......

What's your opinion?

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: NCL, and sub-brand NCL America, have no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

Number of Formal Nights: There are no official formal nights. One restaurant each night is reserved for those who want to "dress up," but no dress code is specified.

Nightly Casual Option: It's all casual, save for the one restaurant that's been reserved as a spot for potentially dressing up.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Swimwear is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant -- so long as you put on a cover-up.

Looks like Norwegian will not be for me--- Celebrity is fine the way it is....

I can't believe I've turned into one of those posters who post to say they are concerned about they plan to wear on the ship! However, this thread has me thinking as this will be our first Celebrity cruise.

We are respectful of the MDR and felt just fine last year on a Princess Panama Canal cruise with DH wearing khakis (Dockers) and long sleeve button-up collared shirts to dinners in the MDR. Is this acceptable on Celebrity?

On the 2 formal nites, he wore a suit and tie and IMHO was not out of place in the dining room.

Our Celebrity cruise will be a 7 nite to Alaska on the Millennium...which nites will be "formal"?

If this attire is lacking, we'd rather know in advance so we can either dress up more or eat in the "specialty" restaurants that have been mentioned. What are those by the way?

Thx for any guidance.

cheers,

:)

My husband and I actually booked on Celebrity because we had heard it was more upscale and we wanted to "dress up" a little and check out this line. We spent weeks checking the boards and arranging our attire for this trip since we are relatively new to crusing. While many dressed up, we were very surprised to see people at the MDR table next to up dressed to the nines in basketball shorts and sweatshirts on our first dinner!? That was the most extreme incident but a lot of people were somewhat underdressed and I heard a few others say something about it being a shorter cruise so that it was more casual? Is that true? (it was a five night) We sailed Alaska on NCL last year and I really enjoyed it, and I also knew I would be hiking glaciers and didn't want to dress up later.... We personally like getting dressed up and seeing other people dressed up in the evening but that is just us. I can't wait to sail X again.....(for a longer cruise) Thanks for reading my long winded response :)

klam chowder, you'll be fine. Have a great cruise.

Vegas Lobster, you too, will be fine dressing for dinner. Perhaps the basketball shorts and sweatshirts were just the first night - those first nights tend to be casual (although not usually that casual) in case luggage doesn't arrive in time for early dinner. I was just on a short 4 night cruise,and that was the most casual cruise I had ever seen. We usually cruise 14 nights and our experience has been dressier.

Ocean Dancer, due to health issues, I'm sure staff will defer to your situation. I wish you the best.:)

Mary

Archived