Dress Code

thecruiser7

Love love love dressing up. So few reasons to anymore with everything pushing to the casual. I would not want to see this dress code changed and absolutely loathe the one quoted in the original post.

My wife and I feel the same.

We are not usually a couple who 'do' dressing up very much (formal style)

though we would wear smart casuals on holiday for our evening meals. Loved the OV2 2 years ago though we did enjoy dressing in smart casuals in The Bistro and La Luna for our meals.

Last year we did our first P&O cruise and joined in with all of the 4 formal evenings - bow ties, evening gowns etc and much to our surprise absolutely loved every minute of it. Felt like I did on our wedding day !!

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise for 2011 for hubby's big 50 birthday and are worried when we read that Celebrity may be changing their dress code. We always thought that Celebrity was that extra notch up from everyone else and hope that our cruise experience lives up to P&O's Oceana as we loved the formal experience.

The Silhouette here we come --------- we booked Celebrity as we thought that it was THE BEST cruise line -----please don't change things until we've been and tried it !!!

I've never been on NCL but was considering a European cruise with them.

What's wrong with the cruise line?

Absolutely nothing. I love NCL. I still dressed up, wore a gown for formal nights. I am going on celebrity also and am hoping that it is not to fancy. I am there to enjoy myself and relax, have a few bevvies along the way!!!!

Norwegian Cruise Line

The Code: NCL, and sub-brand NCL America, have no formal dress code. For dinner, collared shirts and pants or "nice" jeans are suggested for men, and slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. Suggested dress applies to dinner in all restaurants.

I do like this dress code. I think attitude/respect towards others and good manners is what makes for a pleasant dining experience when in a room filled with people, as opposed to how they are dressed.

The fact that this is a vacation should be taken into consideration when deciding on a dress code, expecting people to dress formally (as in gown/tux), in my opinion, is completely outdated.

I'm not pro shorts, tiny tank tops, and flip flops in the dining room either, but I believe what NCL is proposing is a happy medium.

NCL is cheap...and to attract the type of person who wants cheap cruising, they have gone down scale in dress. It goes well with the plastic silverware and paper plates. Yes. I have sailed on NCL...once was one time too many. It was our worst cruise. I will not sail NCL again. I like casual dress. It makes packing much easier. I am packing now for my next cruise. Without the evening clothes, I could do the trip with a carry-on. However, I knew ahead what to expect and I don't mind the formal attire. I don't dress fancy. I certainly dress appropriate...and never would wear jeans in the MDR. Only exception is first night when I may not have my luggage.

The fact that this is a vacation should be taken into consideration when deciding on a dress code, expecting people to dress formally (as in gown/tux), in my opinion, is completely outdated.

If you don't want to dress formally there are options where you don't have to. When I first started cruising Celebrity there was the main dining room where on formal nights it was dress up or the casual dining area where it wasn't. Now the new ships have a number of venues that don't require formal dress on formal nights. Existing ships are being altered to include some of these venues. It is now stated that "smart casual and above" is acceptable in the theatre on formal nights.

It's ok to say formal dress is outdated, but a lot of Celebrity's passengers like it that way and in an effort not to alienate their existing customer base there's a lot more flexibility than there used to be to accommodate more preferences. Where Celebrity stands, that seems a very happy medium to me.

Phil

The thing that's interesting to me is that many people don't seem to realize that there is a trend towards a more formal look rather than more casual. A few years ago it was jeans everywhere, but now, anyone who keeps up with fashion knows that people are dressing up a lot more than just a few years ago. The pendulum does swing back and forth. Anyone remember the hippie look of the sixties?

The thing that's interesting to me is that many people don't seem to realize that there is a trend towards a more formal look rather than more casual. A few years ago it was jeans everywhere, but now, anyone who keeps up with fashion knows that people are dressing up a lot more than just a few years ago. The pendulum does swing back and forth. Anyone remember the hippie look of the sixties?

I can take the hippie look of the sixties, after all casual has it's place, as long as they don't bring back the polyester leisure suits with the paisley shirts. My DW love to laugh at a picture of me wearing one way back when.

When you walk around a X ship, on a formal night particularly, I like the feeling of "dressed Up' I see all around me. It is in the general atmosphere. Sure there will be someone who walks by with something on I wouldn't consider "dressed up" , let alone "put together". But there aren't too many at this point and they do stand out. I think it's that special atmosphere that X regulars like.

NCL is not known for that.

Live and Let Live. If you want to wear a tux on formal night, so be it. But have some sympathy for those of us who wear strangulation gear around our necks every working day of our lives. This is a vacation, not my daughters wedding!! I'll admire your "buttoned up" look in your beautiful Armani tuxedo, while you can admire my Bill Blass blazer with open polo collar! No harm. no foul.:)

I think there should be some kind of a dress code but would like to see maybe nice collar dress shirt and dress pants for men and a more casual dress for women on formal nights. To bring a tux or suite for men who have to wear them often is not fun. They would prefer to just wear a nice dress shirt and slack and be comfortable on their vacation (at least my husband would). I think long formal dresses are in the past also. Even mother of brides are picking shorter to the knee dresses these days for weadings. I think women should wear a nice dress on formal night but not all the glitz and glam that they make you feel you need to pack. So...that is just my thought. I DON'T think Jeans or shorts should be allowed on any night for dinner.......I do like a dress code in that way.....

I also think Celebrity wants to cater to its existing base, but as some past cruisers are no longer able to cruise (due to age, health, or economics, etc.), they also have to appeal to, and convert, new and/or younger passengers who might just prefer (and I say might, "Susie V") a less formal atmosphere but want to experience all the other things Celebrity has to offer. While some of you cruise Celebrity strictly for the dressed up formal nights, I think they allow the smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants for the ones who do not. To us, formal nights mean nothing except a hassle and maybe better offerings in the MDR.

Live and Let Live. If you want to wear a tux on formal night, so be it. But have some sympathy for those of us who wear strangulation gear around our necks every working day of our lives. This is a vacation, not my daughters wedding!! I'll admire your "buttoned up" look in your beautiful Armani tuxedo, while you can admire my Bill Blass blazer with open polo collar! No harm. no foul.:)

Just a heads up...very few men wear tuxes any more. 20% or so on a typical Carib cruise. You will see a few more on Eurpoean or trans atl crossings. What the majority wear on formal nights in the MDR are suits with tie. The specialty dining rooms are now smart casual every night for those that want to avoid packing a tie.

By the way, my Dh wears a suit and tie every day in his profession. His shirts aren't too tight and he doesn't try to strangle himself with his ties...

He fears neither.:D:D

This is an interesting topic - As a first time cruiser, leaving in a few weeks, I admit I have been hesitant to attend the formal evening, but at the same time, don't want to miss a single thing!

As probably one of the younger cruisers, at the ripe age of 40, I have always struggled with dressing up. I am self employed, and as my employer, my dress code is very casual. :)

As I am not use to dressing up, or ever felt comfortable dressing up, I found 2 outfits that I will be comfortable wearing to formal night. Now mind you next time you see someone wearing something sub your level, you may want to consider that they are wearing something that they are comfortable in, and are trying to fit in. Not everyone is comfortable in long dresses, or suits, or the like. BUT at the same time, they want to have an outstanding time too!

So remember there is a learning curve for cruisers too!

Don't worry, my friend who is an avid cruiser, okayed my outfits :) and shoes!

This is an interesting topic - As a first time cruiser, leaving in a few weeks, I admit I have been hesitant to attend the formal evening, but at the same time, don't want to miss a single thing!

As probably one of the younger cruisers, at the ripe age of 40, I have always struggled with dressing up. I am self employed, and as my employer, my dress code is very casual. :)

As I am not use to dressing up, or ever felt comfortable dressing up, I found 2 outfits that I will be comfortable wearing to formal night. Now mind you next time you see someone wearing something sub your level, you may want to consider that they are wearing something that they are comfortable in, and are trying to fit in. Not everyone is comfortable in long dresses, or suits, or the like. BUT at the same time, they want to have an outstanding time too!

So remember there is a learning curve for cruisers too!

Don't worry, my friend who is an avid cruiser, okayed my outfits :) and shoes!

Heather, please don't take this matter so seriously or even give it another thought. It is only on message boards such as this that the dress code becomes an issue and people become confrontational.

When you are actually on the ship, you will see a wide variety in styles of dress on happy people who are busy enjoying themselves. On formal nights, unless you wear an outfit that is really extreme (at either end of the spectrum) nobody else will remember or care what you wear. There is no learning curve required.

Men are greater conformists than women, so most of the men will be wearing suits or sport coats on formal nights. For the women, just about anything goes - long, short, dresses, skirts, pants outfits, low cut, sleeveless, strapless, backless to fully covered up, high neck and long sleeves. An advantage a woman has is that she can always fling a shawl/scarf around her shoulders, put on some jewelry and pass off almost any outfit as formal on cruise ship formal nights.

Now I am not claiming that every outfit is acceptable. You will probably be turned away at the door if you show up wearing a swim suit with flip-flops and snorkel gear. On the other hand, if you look like Angelina Jolie, maybe not even then. :)

Heather, please don't take this matter so seriously or even give it another thought. It is only on message boards such as this that the dress code becomes an issue and people become confrontational.

When you are actually on the ship, you will see a wide variety in styles of dress on happy people who are busy enjoying themselves. On formal nights, unless you wear an outfit that is really extreme (at either end of the spectrum) nobody else will remember or care what you wear. There is no learning curve required.

Men are greater conformists than women, so most of the men will be wearing suits or sport coats on formal nights. For the women, just about anything goes - long, short, dresses, skirts, pants outfits, low cut, sleeveless, strapless, backless to fully covered up, high neck and long sleeves. An advantage a woman has is that she can always fling a shawl/scarf around her shoulders, put on some jewelry and pass off almost any outfit as formal on cruise ship formal nights.

Now I am not claiming that every outfit is acceptable. You will probably be turned away at the door if you show up wearing a swim suit with flip-flops and snorkel gear. On the other hand, if you look like Angelina Jolie, maybe not even then.:)

Perfectly said and so true.

I can take the hippie look of the sixties, after all casual has it's place, as long as they don't bring back the polyester leisure suits with the paisley shirts. My DW love to laugh at a picture of me wearing one way back when.

My DW saw me in those, ( with the requisite pukka shell necklace! ) when we dated. Happily, I have found no photographic evidence .

quote]

Don't worry Heather. Most formal night debates here refer to men who argue they won't wear a tie, or a jacket or even dress slacks on formal night. Heck it's their vacation. ( #1 rationale)

Not the case with women. You will see MANY kinds of dresses for formal night. Few long dresses altho the "mother of the brides" DO show up here and there. Lots of nice black flowy or crepey pants with pretty tops. No not all are sequined up. Lots of cocktail dresses. Jewelry, wraps, high heels etc. Some "Sunday Best" ...well you get the idea.

Again, don't picture X as being the Queen Mary!;)

I'd be very unhappy if Celebrity moved to an NCL dress code.

Seriously, you casual dressers have SO many cruise lines to choose from. Can't you just let one line be available for people who actually like formal attire? And no, it's not the same to be the only couple dressed up while everyone else is wearing khakis or jeans.

And Tally- I really am tired of hearing that it's the young cruisers who don't want to dress up. That doesn't bear out with what I've seen, personally.

Maybe it is time that those who insist that everyone be dressed formally consider cruising Cunard Lines?;)

Right now Celebrity gives folks a choice. Those who wish to dress formally in the strict sense of the word are free to do so. I have no problem with that. I also have no problem with those who wish to dress more casually.

Maybe it is time that those who insist that everyone be dressed formally consider cruising Cunard Lines?;)

No-one on this thread has said about insisting. The majority have said they like dressing up on formal night, but it's been mentioned a number of times that there is a choice of venues so that you don't have to dress formally and that has been supported by posters here.

tally10, as far as the age comment goes I like dressing on formal evenings and hope I've got a few more years to go yet. I'm 46 and started cruising in my late 30s. My observations are like SusieVs. I've seen and met plenty of younger people who enjoy dressing smartly, both at home and on a ship and I don't necessarily mean a tux or gown. Other options exist.

Phil

Archived