EOS Bermuda planning???

cw2go

I posted over in Bermuda forum but thought I would give your RCCL experts a stab. :)

Here I am in planning mode once again...:p

A little about us, family of 3 traveling. Adults mid 40's healthy/active and our 15 yr old son.

I am reading many threads and seem to get a bit confused with logistics even though, I have read over and over how easy Bermuda is on our own. :confused: I am always this way but in time I get it figured out. We do not like cruise line tours when we can avoid them. We enjoy doing lots and will spend our down time on the ship coming and going. So we would like to have a full list for Bermuda.

I would be so grateful for you over achiever CC members to give me insight and a preliminary itinerary.

We like history and activities. My son is not a major beach guy but with a see-doo or similar he would be content. I do want some beach time since I love it!

He loves to walk and see architecture and forts. ex.He really liked San Juan.

I have read about Swizzle Inn on here a bit??? Not sure if this is a must do or a version of Senior Frogs in Bermuda, if so not be for us.

Caves would be cool and of interest, if recommended read mixed reviews.

Aquarium, unless really different we have been there done that.

I would like to taxi tour the island, how simple is this on a whim?

We do not golf, shop little but am curious of the glass. Would like a decent non fussy restaurant for lunch, understand the cost. :eek:

Feel free to recommend anything you feel I may of missed and shouldn't.

Sailing on EOS June 4th and docking at Kings Wharf not sure where that is or what is nearby.

Super bunches of thanks in advance for all you input,

Patty

There is a ton of info on the Bermuda board. Put your search words in the box and you will come up with lots of threads. For example, "Horseshoe", "Swizzle", "bus", "taxi", etc.

One of the moderators here (kewlguy) also moderates that board and is very good about answering questions.

I posted over in Bermuda forum but thought I would give your RCCL experts a stab. :)

Here I am in planning mode once again...:p

A little about us, family of 3 traveling. Adults mid 40's healthy/active and our 15 yr old son.

I am reading many threads and seem to get a bit confused with logistics even though, I have read over and over how easy Bermuda is on our own. :confused: I am always this way but in time I get it figured out. We do not like cruise line tours when we can avoid them. We enjoy doing lots and will spend our down time on the ship coming and going. So we would like to have a full list for Bermuda.

I would be so grateful for you over achiever CC members to give me insight and a preliminary itinerary.

We like history and activities. My son is not a major beach guy but with a see-doo or similar he would be content. I do want some beach time since I love it!

He loves to walk and see architecture and forts. ex.He really liked San Juan.

I have read about Swizzle Inn on here a bit??? Not sure if this is a must do or a version of Senior Frogs in Bermuda, if so not be for us.

Caves would be cool and of interest, if recommended read mixed reviews.

Aquarium, unless really different we have been there done that.

I would like to taxi tour the island, how simple is this on a whim?

We do not golf, shop little but am curious of the glass. Would like a decent non fussy restaurant for lunch, understand the cost. :eek:

Feel free to recommend anything you feel I may of missed and shouldn't.

Sailing on EOS June 4th and docking at Kings Wharf not sure where that is or what is nearby.

Super bunches of thanks in advance for all you input,

Patty

Bermuda is a crescent shaped series of Islands with bridges between the islands. Getting a taxi should not be hard. You will dock at one end of the crescent. If you taxi the entire crescent, you will be able to take a ferry ride back to the ship (more or less) . There is a private estate that the taxi may be able to drive through that is wonderful, including a lily pond that is a map of Bermuda. Lots of very nice beaches. Almost no fast food chains. Ice is about $10 a bag. Look for the motor scooter parked in the front door. Bring a camera.

One of the bridges is the worlds smallest drawbridge. stop and look at it.

Get or Google a Bermuda transportation map. It is SO easy to get around by either ferry or bus. With a mult - day transportation pass, you can get on and off buses all day long.

But, each year, we plan on seeing more of Bermuda, and find ourselves just spending the day at Horseshoe Bay.

See my last visit in my review in my siggy below.

Thank you for you help, Ferry schedule saved. I have a preliminary plan with time line. I would apprieciate suggestions on wether I have alotted the correct amount of time for each activity.

Day 1

9am-noon Taxi tour of Island want to focus on: Churches,(St Peters & Unfinished Church) Forts,( St Catherines & Ft Hamillton ) Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay and Lighthouses ( Gibbs Hill & St Davids ) plus views at awesome vantage points.

lunch

1-3 Bermuda Maritime Museum @Dockyard

4-6 Boat rental w/Somerset Bridge watersports.

Dinner

8-10??? Looking for evening options???

Day 2

9 am Ferry Hamillton and the taxi to Crystal/Fantasy Caves

lunch

1-4 Glassworks,Rumcake Factory, Clayworks and Craftmarket.

Then reboard for our departure ; (

Thank you again,

Patty

BTW MrPete loved you review!!!

Guest maddycat
Thank you for you help, Ferry schedule saved. I have a preliminary plan with time line. I would apprieciate suggestions on wether I have alotted the correct amount of time for each activity.

Day 1

9am-noon Taxi tour of Island want to focus on: Churches,(St Peters & Unfinished Church) Forts,( St Catherines & Ft Hamillton ) Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay and Lighthouses ( Gibbs Hill & St Davids ) plus views at awesome vantage points.

lunch

1-3 Bermuda Maritime Museum @Dockyard

You can watch the dolphin swim once inside the Maritime Museum.

4-6 Boat rental w/Somerset Bridge watersports.

Dinner

8-10??? Looking for evening options???

Day 2

9 am Ferry Hamillton and the taxi to Crystal/Fantasy Caves - You can take a bus from Hamilton to the caves. It's an easy walk from the ferry terminal to the bus station.

lunch

1-4 Glassworks,Rumcake Factory, Clayworks and Craftmarket.

One hour is plenty of time. The glassworks and rumcake factory are in the same building. The clayworks and craftmarket are near by. These are all small.

Then reboard for our departure ; (

Thank you again,

Patty

BTW MrPete loved you review!!!

Do a google search for Bermuda. Send away for information from the Bermuda tourist bureau. Bermuda is wonderful.....clean, safe, interesting.

IMHO, I don't think you'll be able to complete your day 1 morning itinerary in 3 hrs. It will take more than an hr just to get from the Dockyard to Fort St.George. They are at opposite ends of the island.

Given your port schedule you'll need to do the St. George's end of the island on the first day. I suggest you try taking the first ferry out of the Dockyard to St. Georges. If there's a ship in port at St. George it'll be quite busy and all the shops will be open and vendors will be about. If there is no ship in port then there will be fewer shops to visit. Next go see St. Peter's and the unfinished church, then onto Fort St. Catherines. You can walk these if you are ambitious walkers. If not then walk to St. Peter's and have a cab take you to the unfinished church and wait for you while you look around, then onto the fort. Tabacco Bay is just a bit further up the road from the fort, so it's easy enough to walk there from the fort. If you'd like to snorkel Tabacco Bay is a great place to do this. There is a vendor onsite who rents equipment. All of the above would take my DH and myself approx 4 hrs depending on how much time was spent looking around St. George and St. Catherine's.

From here I would decide which middle island attractions we most wanted to see and take a bus or taxi there. The buses run quite frequently on Saturdays, not so frequently on Sundays. You won’t be able to squeeze everything in, so narrow your options. I visited the Crystal Caves, Aquarium, and Perfumery years ago and don’t recall any of them taking more than an hour or two for the visit and they are all located pretty close to each other and are on the main bus routes.

From here it’s likely we’d head back to the Dockyard, but since we pass right by the Swizzle Inn on the way back we may decide to stop in for a late afternoon beverage. By the way, the Swizzle Inn is very low key. Since we’d also be passing by Churches Bay and Horseshoe Bay we’d decide if there was enough time to make stops at either of these places to enjoy the wonderful views.

If you want to do the rental at Somerset Bridge on day 1 then you should beeline back toward the Dockyard after the mid-island stops or even after tobacco bay if you spend a lot of time in St. George. You can then visit the southern beaches, along with the Dockyard activities on day 2.

The Bermuda Tourism website can help you plan your itinerary. www.bermudatourism.com

DW and I went to Bermuda in 1990 and again in 2010. You may find that this link has lots of useful information:

www.bermuda-attractions.com

There are many beaches to choose from. Probably the most famous is Horseshoe Bay which is a must visit.

IMHO although many people like Tobacco Bay, one thing you should be aware of is that Bermuda does not have sewage treatment facilities on the island and that all drainage pipes flow into the ocean. I point this out because there is a drainage pipe which empties into the ocean just offshore of Tobacco Bay. I know this because I had an unfortunate encounter with something we in New York/New Jersey call a Coney Island whitefish in 1990 and since then I have avoided going back there again. Of course many people have not been so unlucky. Just something to consider.

Despite the above Bermuda is one of cleanest and most prosperous islands in the Western Hemisphere, with the per capita income being among the top 10 in the world. You will enjoy a hassle-free vacation there.

The answer to a trivia question: What do New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Bill Gates and Oracle founder Larry Ellison have in common?

They all vacation in Bermuda.

Happy cruising.

IMHO, I don't think you'll be able to complete your day 1 morning itinerary in 3 hrs. It will take more than an hr just to get from the Dockyard to Fort St.George. They are at opposite ends of the island.

Given your port schedule you'll need to do the St. George's end of the island on the first day. I suggest you try taking the first ferry out of the Dockyard to St. Georges. If there's a ship in port at St. George it'll be quite busy and all the shops will be open and vendors will be about. If there is no ship in port then there will be fewer shops to visit. Next go see St. Peter's and the unfinished church, then onto Fort St. Catherines. You can walk these if you are ambitious walkers. If not then walk to St. Peter's and have a cab take you to the unfinished church and wait for you while you look around, then onto the fort. Tabacco Bay is just a bit further up the road from the fort, so it's easy enough to walk there from the fort. If you'd like to snorkel Tabacco Bay is a great place to do this. There is a vendor onsite who rents equipment. All of the above would take my DH and myself approx 4 hrs depending on how much time was spent looking around St. George and St. Catherine's.

From here I would decide which middle island attractions we most wanted to see and take a bus or taxi there. The buses run quite frequently on Saturdays, not so frequently on Sundays. You won’t be able to squeeze everything in, so narrow your options. I visited the Crystal Caves, Aquarium, and Perfumery years ago and don’t recall any of them taking more than an hour or two for the visit and they are all located pretty close to each other and are on the main bus routes.

From here it’s likely we’d head back to the Dockyard, but since we pass right by the Swizzle Inn on the way back we may decide to stop in for a late afternoon beverage. By the way, the Swizzle Inn is very low key. Since we’d also be passing by Churches Bay and Horseshoe Bay we’d decide if there was enough time to make stops at either of these places to enjoy the wonderful views.

If you want to do the rental at Somerset Bridge on day 1 then you should beeline back toward the Dockyard after the mid-island stops or even after tobacco bay if you spend a lot of time in St. George. You can then visit the southern beaches, along with the Dockyard activities on day 2.

The Bermuda Tourism website can help you plan your itinerary. www.bermudatourism.com

Thanks for making me aware of the travel time. I just assumed with an island this size I could make it to St. George.

So I have now regrouped my activities in accordance with location.

I may have to put St. George on the back burner for a return trip. I am doing my best to find what will suit my husband, myself & my 15 yr old best.

So here is a new games plan.

Day 1 From Dockyard ferry over to Hamiltion and bus/taxi to

Crystal Caves, Fort Hamiltion & Bermuda Cathedral.

Lunch @ Swizzle Inn or Hog Penny

Then relocate via bus/taxi to South Hampton

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, Horseshoe Bay for a few hours before returning to Dockyard via bus/taxi

Dinner on board, afterwards if still available we will enjoy the Dockyard Festival or Snorkel Park

Day 2

Boat rental with Somerset Bridge Watersports they transfer us back & forth.

Lunch @ Frog & Onion or Bonefish Bar & Grill

Then tour Maritime Museum, Glass works, Clayworks, Craft Market, Rumcake Factory before reboarding ship.

Now to my questions, does this time line seem realistic?

On our boat tour will be be able to go to Black Beach to see the sea glass on our own? Do you have any recommendations for order of each sight/activity? Finally any input on resturants?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Keep in mind there is 1 "Express/jet ferry in the morning (9:15?) That goes from Dockside to St. George. Catch that one, and you can do more things that day.

Check the ferry schedule.

BTW, be up on deck, port, as you arrive. St. George is on your left, and you sail the entire northside of the island. I fell in love with the island on that approach alone.

Hi, Patty,

Your revised plan looks great - we cruised to Bermuda last June and had a blast! Here's a link to my live report with lots of photos if you are interested: LIVE FROM EXPLORER

I also have a video slideshow linked in my signature.

The only meal we had on the island was lunch at the snackbar at Tobacco Bay, which was pretty mediocre, so I can't comment on that.

But I will add my endorsement for the Maritime Museum and other Dockyard touring on the last afternoon, as you have it planned. The Museum is amazing, especially for history buffs, with fantastic views. And being at the Dockyard makes it a very relaxing afternoon, with no worries about getting back to the ship on time before sailaway.

There was a Destination Dockyard party on the Monday night we were there, hopefully it will have started by the dates of your cruise:

DSC_0157-1.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

The ferries and buses are great, so easy to get around in. And the people are wonderful to talk to, very friendly and helpful.

We fell in love with Bermuda!

Sue

Just some thoughts.

Use the ferry/bus and you will be fine. You can get close to the caves via the bus. The caves are small but pretty. Steep step climbs, which hard to do if any mobility issues.

St. George would be our must do. You can see sea glass by walking up the road towards the cut. Take a left on Floral and it goes right to Alexandra's Battery Park beach. Tons of sea glass. If you walk along the sea wall on the right as you are looking out to sea, you can go down among the rocks and there is a small grotto to the right with the mother lode.

I know you have been there and done that as far as aquariums, but the one in Bermuda is pretty nice and convenient to other attractions.

Our favorite beach for snorkeling is Church Bay.

In my opinion, the Swizzle is much like Senior Frogs, etc. Good drinks but why waste time if that is not your thing.

They have a great tradition there in that folks exchange pleasantries before continuing with conversation.

Happy sails to you

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Hi!

here is a link to the 3 page post on Bermuda private Guides/Taxis/Tour Planning. I think you'll find it helpful, as well as the great advice you've gotten so far.!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1198339

You should be aware that a bus to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse does not go to the base of the lighthouse, only to the bottom of the "steepish" winding road that leads up to it. Unless you have a lot of time, or are in great shape, this is something that you definitely skip. Climb to the top of the lighthouse instead! Easy to do, with landings along the way, and the view is unbeatable!!

Hope this helps!! - Miriam

Hi!

here is a link to the 3 page post on Bermuda private Guides/Taxis/Tour Planning. I think you'll find it helpful, as well as the great advice you've gotten so far.!

You should be aware that a bus to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse does not go to the base of the lighthouse, only to the bottom of the "steepish" winding road that leads up to it. Unless you have a lot of time, or are in great shape, this is something that you definitely skip. Climb to the top of the lighthouse instead! Easy to do, with landings along the way, and the view is unbeatable!!

Confused? Granted easily! :D

How do I get to climb the lighthouse without going up this "steepish" winding road?

Thanks,

Patty

On of the posters suggested getting sea glass at Alexandra Battery at St George. I would normally agree with that advice if you were docked in SG, but you are not. So whatever quantity of sea glass you collect there will require you to lug the sea glass around with you until you return to the Dockyard. This may work if you collect the sea glass just before boarding the ferry.

My suggestion is to get the sea glass at the sea glass beach close to the Dockyard and on the #7 bus route. Here are the directions originally posted by CC member White Rabbit on 10/23/09:

There is a nice sea glass beach near the Dockyards. It is about one quarter mile outside of the main gate, so if you are on the bus to Hamilton, you will want to get off soon after leaving the dockyards. Politely ask the bus driver to stop at the Military Cemetery. You will see a church, and directly across the road some apartments. Walk between the apartments to a path in back and then walk to your right about 100 feet or so. You will see a patio with embedded sea glass and a set of steps leading down to a small beach. It appears to be a private patio and beach, however I have been there and it seems everyone uses this entrance. You will find plenty of sea glass, mostly green, brown and white. When you collect all you can carry, ascend the steps carefully, and wait at the blue pole (bus stop) for a return bus to the Dock Yards. Buses run about every 20 minutes. Stand close to the pole, but off of the road way and when you see a bus, hold up your hand, as buses often miss seeing people waiting at this stop as they round a curve. Good Luck and Happy sea glass hunting. Hopefully you purchased a bus pass, otherwise you will need exact bus coins.

The distance from the Dockyard is just about 1 mile which you could walk but I would suggest that you take the bus instead. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes to walk on, and the roads are very narrow. Take the bus, you can carry more sea glass that way.

You could do this on your return from Horseshoe Bay or on the return of your taxi tour. In fact, you could fit this in almost at any time.

SBtS

IMHO although many people like Tobacco Bay, one thing you should be aware of is that Bermuda does not have sewage treatment facilities on the island and that all drainage pipes flow into the ocean. I point this out because there is a drainage pipe which empties into the ocean just offshore of Tobacco Bay. I know this because I had an unfortunate encounter with something we in New York/New Jersey call a Coney Island whitefish in 1990 and since then I have avoided going back there again. Of course many people have not been so unlucky. Just something to consider.

My goodness! Thank you for making me aware of this!

Thanks for making me aware of the travel time. I just assumed with an island this size I could make it to St. George.

So I have now regrouped my activities in accordance with location.

I may have to put St. George on the back burner for a return trip. I am doing my best to find what will suit my husband, myself & my 15 yr old best.

So here is a new games plan.

Day 1 From Dockyard ferry over to Hamiltion and bus/taxi to

Crystal Caves, Fort Hamiltion & Bermuda Cathedral.

Lunch @ Swizzle Inn or Hog Penny

Then relocate via bus/taxi to South Hampton

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, Horseshoe Bay for a few hours before returning to Dockyard via bus/taxi

Dinner on board, afterwards if still available we will enjoy the Dockyard Festival or Snorkel Park

Day 2

Boat rental with Somerset Bridge Watersports they transfer us back & forth.

Lunch @ Frog & Onion or Bonefish Bar & Grill

Then tour Maritime Museum, Glass works, Clayworks, Craft Market, Rumcake Factory before reboarding ship.

Now to my questions, does this time line seem realistic?

On our boat tour will be be able to go to Black Beach to see the sea glass on our own? Do you have any recommendations for order of each sight/activity? Finally any input on resturants?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Oh, I didn't mean to discourage you from visiting St. George. I was trying to point out the need to build in time for the transport and build flexibility into the plan. If you decide ahead of time what your priorities are then you'll know what to drop off the itinerary if one portion takes longer than you expect. The ferry rides from the Dockyard to either Hamilton or St.George is a very nice trip in itself!

You may want to ask the Somerset Bridge Watersport people if they can drop you off at the seaglass beach after your boat rental. Either that or hop off the bus on the way back from Horseshoe if you have time. This beach is more like an inlet that catches large amounts of broken glass that had been dumped in the waters off Bermuda. You won't be able to bring your boat there and from the road you wouldn't know the beach was there unless someone pointed it out to you. We followed the directions above from the previous poster and still wandered around a bit before finding the rugged stairway down to the beach. Be sure to wear shoes. We collected glass last year, theres tons of it here, and then walked back to the dockyard. Be careful though; the roads are narrow and cars+buses seem to whip around the corners. If you are pressed for time and don't have a particular need for sea glass, then I'd put this on the C list when ranking things to do. Many of the other attractions on your list would be of higher priority on my list.

You all are awesome!!! Thanks bunches,

My husband is now taking over with the logistics,

we are planning to use my revised plan but starting out with a ferry ride over to St George. Touring our way around till we end at Horseshoe Bay via taxi/bus and then bus to Dockyard. He is way better at figuring this out than I am so atleaset we now have a gameplan and a direction.

What would you suggest are the must do's in St. George with 2 hr alotted for touring? We will then make our way to the Caves and so forth.

Smiles,

Patty

Hi!

Sorry about that! I should have made it clearer that the Bermuda "Pink" bus system does not go to the Lighthouses, only along the roads that lead "UP" to them. You will need to rent a private taxi, or take a cruiseline/private excursion to get to their actual parking lots.

Taxis are a great way to costumize your day and have a place to leave your souvenirs, beach clothes, sea glass, etc. while you are visiting the selected attraction. Not cheap, but it maximizes your time. No waiting for others to finish touring, bathroom, smoke breaks, lost sightseers etc. Just stop and go when and where YOU (and your family of course) want to go.

No matter what, you'll be hooked! Bermuda is wonderful. I should know! I go there twice a year. If only I had won that Mega Millions lottery......:D!

- Miriam

A taxi is also the most convenient way to see Bermuda. Sure, the ferry is comparitively less expensive, but then all you've accomplished for your money is a pleasant water ride to either Hamilton or St. Catherine's, with all your "stuff" for the day. Then you have to jump in a "Pink" terror and head off to your next destination, still carrying all your "stuff" for the beach, kids, etc. You arrive, get off, see (e.g.) Crystal Caves, carrying your stuff and then find another bus, etc. etc. I know you get where I'm going. A private taxi for the day is definitely worth the money! You plan ahead, budget your money and enjoy all the flexibility it gets you!

The rates listed above are strictly for a non-private tour. The private tours are $ 40 per hour for 1-4 people. Comes out to $ 10/hour. Not bad for a family of four.

However you get around in Bermuda, the fact that you are actually IN BERMUDA!!!! makes it a great day!!;) - Miriam

You all are awesome!!! Thanks bunches,

My husband is now taking over with the logistics,

we are planning to use my revised plan but starting out with a ferry ride over to St George. Touring our way around till we end at Horseshoe Bay via taxi/bus and then bus to Dockyard. He is way better at figuring this out than I am so atleaset we now have a gameplan and a direction.

What would you suggest are the must do's in St. George with 2 hr alotted for touring? We will then make our way to the Caves and so forth.

Smiles,

Patty

As I mentioned earlier, I would take the first ferry possible out of Dockyard to St. George. Beforehand, I would find out if there is another cruise ship docked at St. George on your first full day in Bermuda. If a ship is docked here then more of the shops will be open, which will determine how much time you spend in the town area of St.George. If you are able to walk at a brisk pace I'd next make my way to St.Peter's, then walk up the hill to the unfinished church. Next, walk northeast toward the shoreline then head north toward Fort St.Catherine's. There are great photo ops all along the way. If you think this much walking it too much for you, then hire a cab for an hour that is willing to make the St Peter's and unfinished church stops on the way to Fort St.Catherines. After you arrive at St.Catherines decide if you want to or have the time to tour the fort, then continue north up this same road about 1 more mile and you'll reach Tabacco Bay. As you can see from the above photos, this is a really pretty spot. You can do this itinerary in 2 hours if you don't shop or tour St.Catherines. You'll need to add in an hour if you tour St.Catherines. Since you have lots on your itinerary I'd take a cab from Tabacco Bay to Crystal Caves. It's a long walk back to the bus route. After Crystal Caves you can easily jump on a bus to the Aquarium, then make your way to Hamilton and on to Fort Hamilton, the Cathedral, etc.

Archived