RCCL Visa Card Hacked

Nothing to do with RCCL, I know... but I know a lot of people have this card.

We got a call from BoA about suspicious activity and it was definitely fraud -- luckily only about $300 (which they are not holding us liable for) and they caught it immediately because the person charged it in England. Worse yet, the criminal somehow was able to make a clone of the actual card, as the Fraud Department said the purchase was made with a swipe (not an internet or phone purchase).

Kudos to BoA for catching it and alerting us right away, and saying they have already issued us new account numbers.

Boo to the thieves out there... hope karma (and/or the cops) catch up to them!

Ya but twice in the past two months they have shut my card down to "Suspicious" activity. 1st time because we switched from Walgreens to mail order prescription ($7.90 charge) so when I was at my normal Walmart my cart of groceries was denied. 2nd time last week I paid off my cabin online no problems but when I call to pay off our second cabin (can't pay online because our daughter is alone in the cabin and under 21), denied!! Grr, I love that they are trying to protect us but at the same time really, $7 bucks suspicious? I could see the major charge for the cabins but we cruise at least twice a year so payoff cabins twice a year and Seapass a few months later on a Royal Card.. Oh my that is suspicious :eek: Just a bit frustrated right now with BOA.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Nothing to do with RCCL, I know... but I know a lot of people have this card.

We got a call from BoA about suspicious activity and it was definitely fraud -- luckily only about $300 (which they are not holding us liable for) and they caught it immediately because the person charged it in England. Worse yet, the criminal somehow was able to make a clone of the actual card, as the Fraud Department said the purchase was made with a swipe (not an internet or phone purchase).

Kudos to BoA for catching it and alerting us right away, and saying they have already issued us new account numbers.

Boo to the thieves out there... hope karma (and/or the cops) catch up to them!

This is one reason why I love Bank of America, they stay on top of things.

Just off the Liberty and the card we gave for Seapass charges (not a RCCL Visa) got declined when in Mexico and also on the ship. They let us make a call to the credit card company who said that an online charge for pizza had been processed in the UK the same day we tried to use it in Mexico. Not making accusations, but we hadn't used the card in over a month before this happened so beware. :(

lol... I don't think we get to keep the points ... bummer, huh?

This also happened to us on our Celebrity VISA (Bank of America card). Got new account number and old account closed. Our points were transferred to the new card.

Hypo

if this has happened to everyone recently, it sounds like there was some kind of BoA breach. Ugh

Actually, this makes me wonder... I filled out my Cruise docs with my last 4 digits of my credit card... if they are changing my credit card number, can I just give them the new one at check in (they never asked for all 16 digits), or do I need to call RCCL to tell them it's being changed?

I've wondered how they decide what is "suspicious" activity. Some of the things mentioned, like purchases in the UK when the cardholder is in the US and not listed as being on vacation seem obvious. For me, they flagged a grocery store about 1/2 mile from my house as suspicious. I shop there every 1-2 weeks and usually spend less than $100. One day my card got denied there. I called and explained that it was a valid charge and if they looked at my charging history, that store showed up 2-3 times a month for the previous 5 years. I was told it would be corrected, but even after several more calls, every time I tried to use my BoA RC Visa at that store, it was denied. I gave up using it.

However, someone was able to use the number to charge over $5000 in merchandise from Bloomingdale's in Denver. I live close to Houston. I've never shopped at Bloomingdale's and very rarely (maybe once a year) spend that much in a single transaction. I found the charge while reviewing my account online and called them about it. The charge was removed but I found it annoying that a charge like that wasn't considered suspicious.

lol... I don't think we get to keep the points ... bummer, huh?

We have had this happen to us a couple times in the past. It's usually because a business we frequent reported a breach in their system that possibly released our card info to an unauthorize person.

When a new card is issued, your points DO get transfered. I would have had a melt down if I couldn't keep our points. We usually go on at least one free cruise a year with them. Just mailed our certificate in this afternoon for this summer :D

It might be annoying to change the card number but it's better than someone using your card and running up a high bill.

Happy Cruising!

Why decline small amounts? Fraudsters often try out stolen card details on small purchases to check the validity of the card - bars, self-service train tickets, take-aways stores etc. Once accepted they gradually build up the charges. They will also know the floor amounts - the amount below which the stores do not have to get authorisation.

One good tip is to have a separate card for online purchases and another one for overseas - much easier to spot irregular transactions.

SORRY... I misunderstood... I KNOW my points for things I charged on my OLD card get charged to my NEW card... I thought it was asked if I get to keep the points from the fraudulent charge. I meant that I do NOT get to keep the 300 points from the $300 bogus charge.

This happened to us while on the Radiance, checked email while we were in Cozumel & had the fraudulant activity warning. We called B of A & they had rejected 2 charges from the "Chosen Peoples' Ministry", 1 for 10,000 & 1 for 5,000. They had to cancel our card so we weren't able to get our triple points for our onboard charges on this trip:(, but a million kudos to B of A for catching this.

My BOA card was hacked also...got a notice of fraudulent charges today, called them and they closed the account right then and are sending a new card. Somebody made a charge in New York and another charge was made in Tennessee, and this was the same day I was using it in Texas! Oh well...at least they caught it very quickly.

Just got a call myself! Thanks to BOA for calling me to verify. Not a large charge, less than $10, but like a previous poster said, I think they were testing the waters to see if they could use it. Curious if anyone else who had this happen recently had just made a payment or a cruise deposit? I just made a payment on a cruise yesterday. Seems strange that it just happened the day after.

A lot of the card companies are becoming very proactive in watching for suspected fraud...

When we first moved from CT to SC, we had to buy a washer and dryer (Lowe's) and a bunch of miscellaneous house stuff (Walmart), and groceries (Publix)...the people from Discover called us on our way back to the house to verify the charges...

:D

Just got a call myself! Thanks to BOA for calling me to verify. Not a large charge, less than $10, but like a previous poster said, I think they were testing the waters to see if they could use it. Curious if anyone else who had this happen recently had just made a payment or a cruise deposit? I just made a payment on a cruise yesterday. Seems strange that it just happened the day after.

I had not used it to book a cruise, but I did use it to order a lot at Christmas doing online shopping. I think it was just one of those random things that happen. The charges that were made on mine were small ones also. Actually, the charge in Tennessee was declined at the time they tried to use it. I was pleased to see how quickly they recognized the fraudulent charges!

Archived