Incubation period for Noro Virus

fergusonvt

Incubation period is 24 to 48 hours.

...Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Did you get it on a cruise ship? I guess he also could have picked it up at Universal (Saturday after disembarking) or even the airport on Sunday. I am washing my hands everytime I do anything for him because I don't want to get it!

Get him to the medical center ASAP!

Why? There is nothing to be done, except maybe causing him to be not allowed to leave the cabin for the duration of the cruise. It's a stomach bug - 1 -2 tsp of diluted juice or flat soda every 15 minutes (too much, and he won't keep it down), no food until 6 - 8 hours without vomiting, and then the BRAT diet. If he has a fever, tylenol, not motrin.

Why? There is nothing to be done, except maybe causing him to be not allowed to leave the cabin for the duration of the cruise. It's a stomach bug - 1 -2 tsp of diluted juice or flat soda every 15 minutes (too much, and he won't keep it down), no food until 6 - 8 hours without vomiting, and then the BRAT diet. If he has a fever, tylenol, not motrin.

Sorry, we dis-embarked on Saturday morning so are home now.

What is the incubation period for Noro Virus? My son came down with something this morning (we disembarked on Sunday). Could this be Noro? Symptoms appear to be based on the CDC website.

could be, I am not sure but I thought is was about 48 hours. IF you were flying and he does have the noro he could have picked it up on the plane or who knows. If there is an issue I am sure others will be posting. I hope he feels better in a day or so, it isn't any fun I know.

Nita

you are right, for the most part it is like what we used to call the 24 or 48 hour flu (probably is the same thing) nothing can be done but wait it out and try to get fluids down.

Luckily we never have picked it up on a ship, we have picked up colds a few times. Hubby had the virus about 4 years ago, it lasted about 36 hours and he was so sick, but when it ended it was gone as fast as it hit.

Nita

That's kind of the point to quarantine, to try to stop the spread of the disease. The Medical Center needs to be consulted because they need to know how many cases are onboard for reporting purposes and probably for determining the ship's protocol (i.e. when to stop self-service at the buffet). Self-treating on a cruise ship isn't the right thing to do.

fergusonvt, I hope your son feels better soon.

That's kind of the point to quarantine, to try to stop the spread of the disease. The Medical Center needs to be consulted because they need to know how many cases are onboard for reporting purposes and probably for determining the ship's protocol (i.e. when to stop self-service at the buffet). Self-treating on a cruise ship isn't the right thing to do.

fergusonvt, I hope your son feels better soon.

You need to re-read the posts. They are HOME-- their cruise ENDED on Sunday.

Sorry, we dis-embarked on Saturday morning so are home now.

Lol - sorry! I'd skip the crackers and let his belly heal (humans can go a long time without food). We get several of these bugs every year, and with 5 kids, I'm a pro (infortunately). He should be much better in 12 - 24 hours, unless it's the dreaded rotavirus.

Did you get it on a cruise ship? I guess he also could have picked it up at Universal (Saturday after disembarking) or even the airport on Sunday. I am washing my hands everytime I do anything for him because I don't want to get it!

My guess is that he caught it on Sunday. Gatorade does work wonders, if he can keep it down. I'm glad to hear that he's tolerating the crackers.

I caught noro from patient zero who was in the Neptune Lounge on a HAL cruise. Patient zero visited the Lounge on the first night of the cruise...and so did I. My noro symptoms developed almost 24 hours later. I contacted Medical so I would be quarantined, but my DH wasn't.:confused: I asked him to stick around in the cabin, just to prevent it spreading to other passengers.

And I'm the type who opens doors with tissues and presses elevator buttons with my elbow, along with constant hand washing. Sometimes, it just can't be helped.

Hope he feels well, soon.

Patient Zero on our cruise was at the poker table the first night of the cruise. By day three, the buffett lost the self serve options. By day five 1/4 of the ship was sick. Somehow, none in my party got sick.

I got noro from a buffet once, we had dinner at about 5pm, by 3am I was already throwing up, so it can be quicker than 24 hours, especially in persons with impaired immune systems ldue to diabetes (like me).

BTW, ginger gum or candied ginger works miracles on nausea...if you ever need to try it and do, you will remember this advice forever...

How are people able to identify 'Patient Zero'?

In my case it was very easy. HAL's Neptune Lounge was only available to certain suites. The staff knew by the evening of embarkation day who that person was. She was the only one with access to the lounge who was sick. (And...uh...I guess she was needing some assistance.)

For me, noro was a 24-hour bug -- on STEROIDS. I would not wish noro on my worst enemy. 'nuff said.

My son was amazingly almost back to normal by the end of the day yesterday so I suspect it was not Noro but possibly a suspect cheese burger he ate on Monday at a local ski area or a bug he picked up at the airport on Sunday. I disinfected everything he touched just in case.

I had noro two different times on board. One time I stuck it out in my room and the rest of my family of 3 did not get it.

The second time all three of us got it and called Medical and got shots and meds and felt much better and it cleared up faster. We were allowed to leave the room 24 hours after the symptoms stopped.

Archived