Best cruise with 18 year-old?

iujen94

My sister and I want to take her daughter (my niece) on a cruise (just the 3 of us) for my niece's high school graduation present. Any suggestions on good cruises for 18 year olds? I'm a little concerned that most of the "young adult" programs seem geared towards teenagers 17 and under. Anything with a social scene for the over 17 but under 21 crowd? We're looking for something relatively short (3-5 days) and leaving from northern Florida. Not as concerned with the destinations as fun things for my niece to do onboard. Thanks!

You're right...18 year olds are totally shut out of the "kids" programs. Your 18 year old will do whatever you do, except drink, on the ship. She can drink in all or most Caribbean ports. She can gamble on the ship.

She will most likely spend most of her time at the pool, checking out the guys!

Figure out where she would like to go and what activities she would like on the ship, then find one that goes to that place(s) and has those activities.

As for a social scene for an 18 year old most cruise lines are lacking in this area. RC does do a meet and greet for the 18 - 21 year olds one night in the club, however it is just show up in the club with everyone else. No way to know who is there for the same purpose as you.

My DD and I did a cruise together for her high school graduation. We just hung out together at the pool, shows, etc. On our last cruise, she was 19 and tried to do the meet and greet but never really connected with anyone like her. She did meet a few kids but all they were interested in were sneaking alcohol to their cabins, not her thing. Again, she ended up hanging out with us or others we met on our roll call.

Bottom line, don't choose a ship for the 18 - 21 year old activities, but the itinerary and activities you all will enjoy.

I've been on approximately 9 cruises from the ages of 18-20 (I'm now 22) and have to admit that it is a pretty awkward age to be on a cruise from that particular age range. Since I'm from Canada, we are accustomed to be able to legally drink from the age of 19 (18 in Quebec).

Since it's 21+ to drink on cruises in the Caribbean, it was frustrating to not be able to legally consume alcohol. (let's be honest, a large percentage of people 18-20 drink/party) IF your niece is one of the individuals in that large group, she will will be frustrated as well. I'm not saying that in order to have fun, one must consume alcohol, BUT a lot of people enjoy partying at that age and especially if she is on vacation, she will want to party as well.

What I did between that age group was that I brought on alcohol from home in my suitcase, purchased alcohol on the islands and snuck it on board, or got an older friend/sibling to purchase it for me in the night club. Most evenings after dinner start off with a bunch of friends partying/pre-gamng in a stateroom and then eventually going to the nightclub I'm not condoing or suggesting she does what I've done, all i can say is that I'm an experienced cruiser and that's what I've done to enhance my cruising experience from the ages of 18-20.....Listen to my advice or disregard, totally up to you. luckily I'm 22 now and can have purchase my own alcohol lol.

Things that she can do if she's not a party animal at night include, seeing shows after dinner, hanging out with family, checking out the midnight buffet, card games/board games, or watch movies in the cinema.

I've been on approximately 9 cruises from the ages of 18-20 (I'm now 22) and have to admit that it is a pretty awkward age to be on a cruise from that particular age range. Since I'm from Canada, we are accustomed to be able to legally drink from the age of 19 (18 in Quebec).

Since it's 21+ to drink on cruises in the Caribbean, it was frustrating to not be able to legally consume alcohol. (let's be honest, a large percentage of people 18-20 drink/party) IF your niece is one of the individuals in that large group, she will will be frustrated as well. I'm not saying that in order to have fun, one must consume alcohol, BUT a lot of people enjoy partying at that age and especially if she is on vacation, she will want to party as well.

What I did between that age group was that I brought on alcohol from home in my suitcase, purchased alcohol on the islands and snuck it on board, or got an older friend/sibling to purchase it for me in the night club. Most evenings after dinner start off with a bunch of friends partying/pre-gamng in a stateroom and then eventually going to the nightclub I'm not condoing or suggesting she does what I've done, all i can say is that I'm an experienced cruiser and that's what I've done to enhance my cruising experience from the ages of 18-20.....Listen to my advice or disregard, totally up to you. luckily I'm 22 now and can have purchase my own alcohol lol.

Things that she can do if she's not a party animal at night include, seeing shows after dinner, hanging out with family, checking out the midnight buffet, card games/board games, or watch movies in the cinema.

This is exactly what my daughter found to be the case on our last cruise and why she ended up hanging out with us. Don't get me wrong, she likes to enjoy herself but would also like to take advantage of what the ship has to offer, not just get wasted which most of the 18 - 20 year olds she met did want to do.

Bottom line here is know your kids, if they want to do this and you are ok with it, go for it. If they aren't into it or you would prefer them not to participate, be prepared to have them hanging out with you. Fortunately my DD is a mature kid and gets along well with DH and I as well as most other adults.

I would say that the 22 yo canadian poster was just being honest. She is aprox 4 years older than your daughter now. We are cruising next year with our 17 year old. (fortunatly he will 17 and can enroll in the teen club to meet people). My advice to you would be as other posters stated. RCCL seems to be more geared for teens is what I have heard. Choose a ship with lots of activities she may be interested in and she will most likely see other young adults her age enjoying them as well. Or, if you can afford it, take a friend. :) Good luck and have fun planning!

The biggest tip I can give is to bring a friend! I am a somewhat conservative 17 year old that doesn't do the crazy/stupid stupid stuff that the average 17 year old does but still likes to have a crazy fun time. Cruising with parents/family can be fun if it's a short cruise but anything more than 5 days I would recommend you bring a friend. You enjoy the same things, can talk about the same things, won't get bored with each other, already know your limits and how you like to have fun, and more comfortable to doing things. The only way I will go on a 7 day cruise nowadays is if I can get a good friend of mine to come along. My last cruise I never even went into the teen club because me and my buddy were having too good of a time doing our own thing on the ship.

Besides bringing a friend, choosing the right cruise line is a must. Either Carnival or Royal Caribbean. If you're like me and prefer service, group-activities, and having more fun on your own but still meeting others, Carnival is the place to go. If you're someone who wants to have a BLAST of a cruise and could care less how qualitative the staff treats you and would rather do crazy things that you'd never imagine yourself doing, go with Royal Caribbean. RC has more activities to do that are geared towards adventure and physicality (surfing, rock-climbing, ice-skating) and people in this age group really seem to stand out as the partying trouble-makers. Not a bad thing, just the niche. And if you do go with RC, get a big ship at least Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class.

Good luck with this, I know it's not the easiest thing and if all else fails... JUST BRING A FRIEND! It's the key to an awesome cruise for me! I could be stuck on a (to me) boring HAL ship but still find ways to have a blast of a cruise.

I agree with butlerspace and zackpw (btw, I'm a 22 yo male butlerspace haha) Cruise's are definitely a lot more fun if you travel with someone your own age as well. Luckily, every cruise I've been on, I've traveled with at least my brother who's 23 or cousin who's 20 now. Going with someone make's it easier to meet others and if your not in the mood to meet others, at least you have your friend/sibling to hang out with and have fun.

I wish they had a meet and greet for us older than the 18-20 but younger than the 30 year olds, but unfortunately they can't cater to absoloutely everyone. Also, like zackpw mentioned, Royal Caribbean in my opinion is the absoloute best cruise line. They are so many fun activities on board and I find there are always people in my age group to party with on them. The night club's are mainly packed and fun and the food and show's are awesome. (we did a HAL cruise for spring break back in 09 and the night club was DEAD, we ended up meeting 2 others our age and just went to visit the pizza guy a bunch of the night's)

On our cruise with our Grandchildren, we tried to get the 18-20 year olds on our forum to meet each other at our Meet and Greet. That at least allowed them a group of familiar faces. There is nothing as good as Cruise critic for meeting people before and at the start of a cruise.

We took our son on a mediterranean cruise this past summer, he was 17 & loved it! He had just taken ancient history, so loved all the stops. He was still young enough to go into the kids room & play pool, air hockey & video games. Royal Caribbean did cater to 18 to 21 year olds as well, as we had one at our table. They had special events just for them to meet & mingle. Both kids met friends on the cruise & basically we only saw them at dinner but it was a 12 day cruise too. I'm sure your niece would love to go any where, just make sure you do some tours as they do make the cruise!

We just returned form the Carnival Dream 1/8/11 Western Caribbean. This cruise had more college age kids, and really not too many high school age ones.

Look for something with a dance club. My 19 year old daughter did not drink, but did feel left out hanging out in Mexico with all the others who were drinking, and on the ship.

During the day, she sunned (the drinkers did not usually leave their cabins till 1-2 pm). Hot-tubs. We had early dinner. She would go to shows with me, and we loved the comedians. Then at 11 or 12 pm, the dance club got quite lively. Since she was up late, she did try to fit in nap-time during the day.

I forced her to attend the Meet & Greet for Cruise-critic, but the closest in age was a 13 year old boy. My bad. I know there were teenagers her age associated with the Meet & Greet, but nobody else showed up.

She never has problems meeting people. But she will hop into a hot-tub without me, or sun on the deck alone. She finds being with me inhibits meeting other teens, expecially guys. (What a surprise! But isn't that my role in life?) Seriously, she met lots of people and made lots of friends.

Archived