Haines

martinsfo

Has anyone been to Haines? Our cruise is stopping there and I am interested as to what to do while there.

Been to other parts of SE Alaska, but not Haines, but there is the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve there http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/eagleprv.htm

This site will probably help you too in seeing what's available there http://www.haines.ak.us/

Susan in Anchorage :)

If you are going to be there in August or September, it's a great opportunity to see brown bears fishing for salmon on the Chilkoot River.

We were in Haines on September 15 and picked up a very inexpensive tour at the dock ($40 or 45/pp) and drove along the Chilkoot where we watched two sows fishing, one with two cubs and one with three. There were also quite a few eagles on the river, both adults and juveniles. Considering the cost of excursions in Alaska, we thought this was a real deal.

If you are going to be there in August or September, it's a great opportunity to see brown bears fishing for salmon on the Chilkoot River.

We were in Haines on September 15 and picked up a very inexpensive tour at the dock ($40 or 45/pp) and drove along the Chilkoot where we watched two sows fishing, one with two cubs and one with three. There were also quite a few eagles on the river, both adults and juveniles. Considering the cost of excursions in Alaska, we thought this was a real deal.

This is possible in Sept, but, not "common", pure luck. Haines has a late salmon run and the bear activity is greatest after the cruise season, same with the eagle population- way more after the cruise season ends.

In Haines, renting a car is my first choice.

Has anyone been to Haines? Our cruise is stopping there and I am interested as to what to do while there.

Hi, friend, I forgot that just one of the cruises was going to Haines instead of Skagway. I'm sure many on the ship will be doing the fast ferry to Skagway, but I think you've been there before, so I think staying in Haines is a great idea.

I've been there once, but it was on a HAL excursion during my 3rd visit to Skagway in 3 years. Did the Chilkat Eagle Perserve. You have to realize that this is somewhat a misnomer as there aren't many eagles there in the summer, but I did enjoy the bus trip out there and the rafting down the river. However, from everything I've heard, renting a car and just driving around on your own is a very good option.

Haines is neat as it's the "real" Alaska. Skagway is great too when you get out of town, but every time I'm there I feel like I'm on a movie set while in the town!:p

Patty

This is possible in Sept, but, not "common", pure luck. Haines has a late salmon run and the bear activity is greatest after the cruise season, same with the eagle population- way more after the cruise season ends.

In Haines, renting a car is my first choice.

....and if you rent a car, check out the Haines Highway driving guide from Cruise Critic's own Yukon (Murray), who also wrote the famous guide to the South Klondike Highway out of Skagway.

Haines Highway, Murray's Guide

Scroll down to the bottom of it for more links.

If you are into photography, we took a photography tour which we really enjoyed. We went out with a professional photographer. He took us to beautiful sites, gave us photography tips, and we had as much time as we needed to get our photographs, so we didn't feel rushed.

We are from a small town and used Haines as a break day from the crazy bustle and crowds. We landed in Skagway on our cruise and took the fast ferry over. We rented bikes and rode out along the shore for a while, stopping to take photos and admire the channel, mountains, and the clear skies of our day. We walked a loop through town and liked being able to look at something in a shop that wasn't made in China. We checked out Fortr Seward and the gift shop gallery right there. We had ice cream and sat at the picnic table enjoying the peace. Then we took the Eagle Preserve Float with a private vendor. Two rafts, ours had a native guide that was a wealth of information. We saw some eagles, as noted, but not lots. It was a peaceful and informative float down an interesting bit of the river. Without having to worry about the ferry schedule, you have some really nice options in Haines.

If you are into photography, we took a photography tour which we really enjoyed. We went out with a professional photographer. He took us to beautiful sites, gave us photography tips, and we had as much time as we needed to get our photographs, so we didn't feel rushed.

Can you tell me more about the photography tour you did? This sounds like something that my husband and I would enjoy.

We did this tour, but I would not recommend it. We went to a place where crafts were for sale, the Hammer Museum, and the county fairgrounds (which were closed, but we walked around . . . several old timey buildings). We enjoyed the Hammer Museum, but you can see that by just walking to it in town. I would pass on the other two places, and they would not be accessible without a car. I found the Hammer Museum an interesting stop, the guy who has it is very knowledgeable and fun to talk to, and it doesn't cost much (seems like it was $2 or $3 a person???)

Hi! Looking at the shore excursions for Haines- has anyone done the Haines Off The Beaten Path tour? Or would I be better to wander around the area on my own? Reccomendations? Don't want to rent a car. Thanks!

It sounds like that tour doesn't do much you can't walk to except the fairgrounds. That has the set to White Fang I believe. We walked past the Hammer Museum, shops, Information Center, bathrooms, Fort Seward, more shops, school, bathrooms, view area, cut through trail, and fire station-- just wandering. Haines is set on a hill/knoll and there is a climb to follow the shore on bike going one way out of town and you can get to a river outlet I heard. We turned back when we were tired of pedalling up. The other way is flat, has a park with trails, but we ran out of time to explore that way. On a sunny clear day, it was just gorgeous.

We booked the photography tour through the ship, but here is a link to a site for the man who led our tour:

http://www.bobadkinsphotography.com/

There were only 6 of us and he took us to photographic sites in a van. Bob Adkins has professional photography experience such as photographer for National Geographic, etc.

We are really into photography. That is about the only souvenirs we have from our travels . . . we just love to take pictures for our souvenirs!

• 2 weeks later...

Martinsinfo - I did a search & this time it worked - Thank you!

I was considering the Kenai Fjord trip - but it sounds as though it could be rough sailing. Don't think I am up to "rough." Have experienced it before & don't like it.:eek:

Has anyone taken the Valley of the Eagles Nature Tour & was it worth it? One problem is that due to ship's timing, we can't take 8 a.m. tour and afternoon tour gets back at 5:30 & ship leaves at 6. Is that cutting it too close? Sounds like it to me.

Has anyone taken the Valley of the Eagles Nature Tour & was it worth it? One problem is that due to ship's timing, we can't take 8 a.m. tour and afternoon tour gets back at 5:30 & ship leaves at 6. Is that cutting it too close? Sounds like it to me.
Even the private tour operators ask what time you need to be back to your ship and are good about getting people back on time, but the easiest way to do it for peace of mind is to take the ship's tour. That way you can relax without any concern about getting back on time, knowing the ship won't leave without you.

That tour has received mixed reviews in the past. People enjoyed the scenery and saw some eagles, but be aware that the large gathering of eagles, for which the area is famous, does not occur until later in the year, after the cruise season is over.

When we were in Haines we rented a car and drove up the Haines Hwy only as far as Million Dollar Falls because we wanted to have time to spend in Haines. When we got back to Haines we drove out Lutak Road to Chilkoot Lake, then drove out Mud Bay Road to Chilkat State Park and then explored the area around Fort Seward. We saw quite a few eagles while we were in Haines. We just missed seeing a bear that was known to frequent a bridge out on Lutak Road. Haines was a fun town to explore and we look forward to going there again.

Archived