Solo, nondrinker, no excursions

heidik

Crystal! I'll be on my 6th Crystal cruise since 2007 as a solo next week. They do a fabulous job for solo cruisers and because their single supplement is 25%, there are always many on every cruise. You can be as active (or reclusive!) as you want and have a wonderful time. With their "as you wish" OBCs on every cruise, you can choose to use it on spa treatments rather than wine and excursions.....how relaxing! Also, when you look at the prices, remove the included airfare and book that on your own.

Patty

I guess that I also agree with Crystal since they are definitely not all-inclusive (despite their on board credits which most luxury cruise lines give you in addition to being all-inclusive). Just be sure you compare prices as I have found some cruises on special (particularly Seabourn) that are all-inclusive but less money than Crystal.

Other considerations may be size of the cabin, single supplement cost, the type of seating you prefer (open seating on all lux. lines except Crystal that has open seating by reservation only.

It does sound like I don't like Crystal. I have not sailed on that line because we prefer all-inclusivity and do not like signing for anything while on vacation. It is an award winning line (again, like most of the luxury lines). My biggest problem with Crystal is the price compared to Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. It sounds like you get less for more money:confused:

I guess that I also agree with Crystal since they are definitely not all-inclusive (despite their on board credits which most luxury cruise lines give you in addition to being all-inclusive). Just be sure you compare prices as I have found some cruises on special (particularly Seabourn) that are all-inclusive but less money than Crystal.

Other considerations may be size of the cabin, single supplement cost, the type of seating you prefer (open seating on all lux. lines except Crystal that has open seating by reservation only.

It does sound like I don't like Crystal. I have not sailed on that line because we prefer all-inclusivity and do not like signing for anything while on vacation. It is an award winning line (again, like most of the luxury lines). My biggest problem with Crystal is the price compared to Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. It sounds like you get less for more money:confused:

Travelcat2, I often wonder why you need to point out what you consider all of Crystal's "faults" when you have never cruised on the line....but I'll leave that to the shrinks!:p;):D

On my last Crystal cruise I actually had to spend $150 in the gift shop at the end of the cruise to use all of my OBC! This was because I had $1,400 OBC, plus prepaid gratuities paid by my travel agent (although I did add to that from my OBC to increase the amount plus add other special crew) and an OBC from my travel agent that Crystal allows to be taken out in cash (which I did).

I've never sailed on any of the other luxury lines, so I won't comment on what you get for your money...but it's hard for me to imagine that I'd get more...especially considering the fact that I am a solo and all of my research indicates all of the others have a much higher single supplement.

With the OPs specific interests and desires, it just seems to me that Crystal is the best choice for her.

My problem with Crystal in recent months is their insanely high fares. I feel that because they are offering so much in the way of on board credits, they have to pay for that somewhere, and with Crystal, it's raising their fares beyond what I think they're worth. I've gotten some really great offers for Seabourn, a line I've cruised 5 times, and even with their higher single supplement, they come out much lower than Crystal, for similar itineraries--and for a very similar product. If Crystal wants to be all inclusive, then get rid of the OBC, raise their fares a reasonable level, and go from there. But I cannot come to grips with the fact that an itinerary I took two summers ago, would cost me over $2000 more this summer. And, I cannot possibly spend those huge on board credits, and I can't see spending it on overpriced jewelry in Facets. I really wish they would stop with all the "enticements" and just price their cruises lower. But in the end, Crystal, like other lines, are playing a shell game with this OBC business and the totally false "two for one" marketing. We all know that the 2-fer is a scheme, and you're not getting two for one at all. In some cases, you're actually spending more than if you'd use their old prices.

Of course you are paying for the OBCs on Crystal just as you are paying for the shore excursions and hotels on Regent. Nothing is free, it's all figured into the cost of the cruise. Actually, Seabourn has had the most reasonable fares recently but I fear that is all about to change.

Wow, I can't believe the deals on Seabourn -- and a 50% single supplement to boot....these prices seem too good to be true and are like a 1/2 of comparable Crystal - am I reading these right? The 14-day transatlantic to Portugal in March on the Odyssey is $2,999 in a suite with a 50% single supplement = only around $4500?? :eek:

Wow, I can't believe the deals on Seabourn -- and a 50% single supplement to boot....these prices seem too good to be true and are like a 1/2 of comparable Crystal - am I reading these right? The 14-day transatlantic to Portugal in March on the Odyssey is $2,999 in a suite with a 50% single supplement = only around $4500?? :eek:

Funny you should mention that. A friend just called me to see if I was interested in a trans-Atlantic on Crystal, 12 days, on Serenity. The cost, without the single supplement, is around $4400. With the SS, the cost would be $5500. I may take a look at Seabourn's crossing.

I also recommend Crystal (although I have not been on Seabourn so cannot compare the two lines). Crystal has great lectures and activities to keep one busy if one wants and plenty of places for peace and quiet if one just wants to relax. Service is top notch. I prefer the traditional same-table, same time traditional dinners on Crystal--it is a good way to meet people when traveling solo, but the line now offers more flexible dining as well.

The low single-supplement was also a big draw, but I have not compared rates lately, so it may not be as reasonably-priced as it once was (in which case I wish they would drop the generous on-board credits).

Archived