WHY Indian Food ?

block

This is on the Cruise Foodie forum? I thought part of what defined a foodie is an open-minded palate and an appreciation for all types of food. But then again, I'm seeing many threads on this forum that make me question how people landed here.

While I have not eaten Indian food that I like, I wouldn't dismiss it as nasty food that I'll never eat again. I am looking forward to trying it again on NCL to see if there's something I'll enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

P&O ships offer a different type of food in the buffet each evening- Best of British; Italian; Oriental etc.

But the one which really empties the main dining rooms is always the Indian/Tandoori night, where the Indian chefs come into their own. Not all the food is heavily spiced- some have a delicate flavour, and some a yoghurt, sweetly spiced dish.

The best thing, to us, about NCL Jade was the Oriental station in the buffet, with different flavours and subtle rice each evening.

Jo.

I think it's more of an ugly American thing to not eat in the local style.

Really? Choosing to eat according to my ethical beliefs makes me an "ugly American"?

I'm an American expat vegetarian living in Scandinavia. Most "local" menus rely heavily on fish and pork, in order to eat in those restaurants, I'd have to ask for something off menu, so I choose to dine at places that offer things I can actually eat.

You'd have a point if you were talking about traveling companions who insisted on eating McDonald's, Subway, etc. But when it comes to people maintaining their ethical beliefs while traveling, your statement just comes across as ignorant and rude.

Edited by Girl_from_Ipanema

and the adventuresome eaters should enjoy what THEY like and keep their opinions about the food choices, or lack thereof, of others to themselves.

How does it impact others if I politely say "no, thank you" to foods that I don't eat/like? Seems as if it just leaves more for the people who do like those foods.

Well Block, you must be in the minority. Just debarked Carnival Fantasy on Saturday and we had Indian cuisine every night in the dining room and you could also get it there for lunch as well. Word has it from the dining room hostess that by the end of the month Carnival will be launching a new series of menus for the dining rooms and, as part of the regular menu, they will be adding several Indian dishes each night.

Apparently, among those of the vegetarian persuasion, Indian cuisine is quite popular.

We added the vegetarian menu to each of our evening meals and were thoroughly delighted. They also have a non-vegetarian option! Enjoy!!

Well I for one am glad there is Indian food on our cruise. I am looking forward to having it. I love curry have some in my pantry. Its always better if someone else cooks though ;)

I love to try new and ethnic foods, something ive never had before YUM!!!! its always a great experience

I know this is an indian thread but on a side note I tried fried tofu at a tiwanese resteraunt recently with a peanut dipping sauce yummy!!!!

We feel the same way!

Just returned from our Alaskan Cruise on NCL's Pearl. Enjoyed trying the Indian dishes on the buffet and took the advice of other CC members and carted our plate over to the Italian rest. during lunch hours. To be honest, nothing but the Indian food stood out as being great on the buffet to us. But then, we are not burger pizza people. Interesting how the salad section of the buffet was being hit heavy during all meal times, as was the fresh fruit section (which we hit heavy ourselves). However, the dessert section, including the icecream, seemed a bit sub-par. You would hear many people asking, "what is that" at the 2-inch cut desserts on display. Never saw chocolate cake on the buffet - looked many times for it. Though we could get it through room-service, our one attempt at that went so badly we abandoned any hope of trying again.

It's an easy way for them to get in some vegetarian dishes. I am a vegetarian and I like Indian food (although I have to be in the mood for it), but it's an easy way for them to throw together a mish-mash of ingredients with various sauces, rather than coming up with some thoughtful vegetarian dishes. This seems to be a common theme of veggie offerings both on- and offshore.

I love Indian food, although I have yet to find really good indian food on a cruise buffet. Indian food is one food that tends to be better on a buffet than say most other types of food (i.e Chinese, American, japanese, etc). I hope my upcoming cruise(s) have Malai Kofta and Palek Paneer--my 2 fav. Indian dishes :)

We sailed on the Carnival Dream on it's first transatlantic trip in 2009. They had a Tandoori bar at the back of the ship which was great. We ate from there everyday for lunch, chicken or a vegetable dish and sometimes just the great breads. Alas, many people are like my friends who say they don't like Indian food, even though they have never eaten it!! I think carnival has replaced it with a deli... blah... like I can't get a sandwich anywhere.

But to your question, the British, Asians and Europeans love Indian food. As do I:)

I hate curry!!! there I said it.

The other posts are correct everywhere you look there is indian food, first time I was on a cruise I thought there must be a really large group of indian people on board. I later found out this is the case all the time.

Actually, there is no such thing as authentic " curry". Many Indian dishes , vegetable or with meat, use a variety of spices and are served in a stew like consistency, but virtually no Indian restaurant would refer to anything as a curry. I'm in the mood for alu gobi right now. Cauliflower and potatoes, with tomatoes, onion, garlic, yummm

We sailed on the Carnival Dream on it's first transatlantic trip in 2009. They had a Tandoori bar at the back of the ship which was great. We ate from there everyday for lunch, chicken or a vegetable dish and sometimes just the great breads. Alas, many people are like my friends who say they don't like Indian food, even though they have never eaten it!! I think carnival has replaced it with a deli... blah... like I can't get a sandwich anywhere.

But to your question, the British, Asians and Europeans love Indian food. As do I:)

I can take it or leave it ( Indian food ) Not a big fan of it tho...:rolleyes:

Indian food is in fashion right now, that is why they have it. I agreee though, it is nasty stuff and I cannot even stand the smell of curry. My last cruise had a separate food station that had only Indian food everyday. I hardly ever saw anyone get it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Indian food is fashionable? Hmmmm.. I guess that's why Indians, Brits, Aussies, all Asians, and Europeans eat it. What grosses me out is people piling up their plates at the buffet as though it's one plate per person. For God's sake, why put meatballs in sauce , fried chicken, beans and burgers all on one plate. And then balance rolls on top and waddle back to your chair?

This thread has been alive for a long time, but I thought I would throw this in as well.

I noticed on our last cruise (RCCI Alaska 8/19) that they had some Indian choices on the buffet everyday as well as the dining room menu. However there were a lot of Indian people on the cruise. Compared to Carribean cruise we have done, I noticed there were more Indian (and other Asian) people on the cruise (and crew as well). So perhaps it has to do with demand? Either way, I liked it. It was pretty tasty food, too.

Just to throw in the comparison to other "national" cuisines that were server... They had what I think were supposed to be taco/burrito makings on the buffet one lunch... not very well done at all. They also had "English cake" on the dessert buffet. Not sure I've even heard of that.

Edited by TBone2K
Add more.

Much of the food in the buffets is pretty bland. Most Indian dishes are anything, but, bland. It is nice to get something that has a bit of spice. I like Indian food -- It's about time.

I remember on Half Moon Cay (Holland American's private island) - the crew's buffet on the the island (Indonesian) look so much better then the dried out hamburgers, hotdogs, and overcooked ribs that we were offered. I wanted to eat with the crew, but was not allowed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

Was that the ONLY food that was available or did you have other options?

DON

Was that the ONLY food that was available or did you have other options?

Can't speak for the OP, but our RCL trip had one "section" of the buffet with some vegetarian and Indian every day. I.e. One meat, one veg, basmati rice, plus breads and condiments. Plus at dinner there was a vegetarian Indian choice on the menu.