Aft Vibration

In2why

I have read the boards for years and I don't see anyone else mentioning the vibration.

We cruised on Legend in December and could barely eat in the main dining room for dinner because the vibration was so intense. I can't imagine trying to sleep or having a cabin back there. Is it only the lower decks?

It bothered us so much that I hesitate to book an Aft cabin because of it. Or a guarantee for thet matter. Am I the only one that notices, or that it bothers, or was it a fluke and most ships and most times there isn't vibration? It seems strange to me that more people haven't mentioned it, and I was surprised by our experience since neither of us get seasick, yet we were really bothered by trying to eat with the shaking.

I have read the boards for years and I don't see anyone else mentioning the vibration.

We cruised on Legend in December and could barely eat in the main dining room for dinner because the vibration was so intense. I can't imagine trying to sleep or having a cabin back there. Is it only the lower decks?

It bothered us so much that I hesitate to book an Aft cabin because of it. Or a guarantee for thet matter. Am I the only one that notices, or that it bothers, or was it a fluke and most ships and most times there isn't vibration? It seems strange to me that more people haven't mentioned it, and I was surprised by our experience since neither of us get seasick, yet we were really bothered by trying to eat with the shaking.

We had an aft balcony 6440 on the Victory, the only vibration we ever felt was from the drum set located in the lounge directly beneath our room. That stopped at 1 am every night. ( I have heard from people since our 2009 cruise that the lounge issue has changed) No vibration from the ship or engines, aft balconies are wonderful!! :cool:

We were on the Legend the week after you, and our first two days at sea were very rough due to a cold front. Many people (including experienced cruisers) were sick and said the conditions were the worst---or nearly the worst---they'd ever seen. Also, many crew were also sick the first night or two. My husband was in bed most of the first two days. He never got "sick" but his equilibrium was thrown out of kilter because of the seas. Once we hit smoother water, we ate in the dining room every night except one and didn't notice the vibration.

None of that really addresses your concern other than I wonder if you also experienced some rough seas. ?? I am cruising again in April with some friends on the Ecstasy out of Galveston, and we recently upgraded from a balcony to an aft balcony. The vibration is a slight concern, but most of the comments I've read here say it is minor and mainly only when pulling into/leaving from a port.

I'll be curious to see what other cruisers post in response to your question!

We have cruised twice in an aft cabin. First time was on the Triumph and we had no problems but I don’t believe the ship went very fast for our itinerary. A couple years ago we had an aft on the Spirit and the vibrations, cabin ceiling squeaking and overall rocking were very noticeable while in our cabin. It was only noticeable when at high speed (20-22 Knots) mostly from San Diego to Acapulco. My wife and I didn’t really enjoy it so the next trip on the Spirit we booked midship.

I understand that it’s a ship, things move, make noise and that’s the part of the fun of cruising but I found it unpleasant at high speed. If your itinerary on a spirit class ship includes very fast speeds I would personally avoid the aft even though I love the view and cabins back there.

Edit: Just realized two years of reading this board and I finally make a post. Bravo! lol

Aft vibrations have been mentioned several times. I've been on the Pride and the Spirit and soon the Miracle. While I have noticed it, I also had a rear facing cabin on the Pride and it was no problem for me. I've also had rear facing cabins on the Carnival Glory and the Freedom of the Seas.

If you are that sensitive to it, then don't book a rear cabin.

I know I myself have posted it dozens and dozens of times, and twice on Triumph had it so bad in my cabin, it adversely affected my enjoyment of the cruise. Fool me once, shame on your .. fool me twice .. second time I knew it would be bad, and it was.

That ship seems to me to be worse than others

PS I had a aft facing OV, one of the middle two cabins, which I saw no warning was also smaller and did not have a window facing straight out, more like a port hole with a slanting down recessed window, sold as a 6D at the time .. not happy with that one. Main deck.

The last one was the last inside on riveria deck, the ceiling and wall shook like crazy with odd bumps. Sounded like being next to the engine. It was a cabin usually not booked, but given to us.

I only read about the vibration problems as part of talking about propulsion problems. But of course I don't read every post, although some days it feels like I try. :eek:

I am glad to see that we aren't the only ones. I loved Legend, and we had a wonderful time, but in all the reviews I read I just didn't see it. Our cabin was midship, and we didn't notice the vibration while on the upper deck aft.

Do the aft balconies vibrate? If not then GTY balcony wouldn't be a problem. But it was enough of a problem, for us, that I would pay extra to avoid it, if they do.

Every aft cabin I have ever had vibrates and it is something I always mentions when people ask about aft cabins.

I find the vibration to be pleasant for sleeping, but that's my opinion.

You would not have found my last cabin pleasant for anything. It truly did sound like the engine was next to us. .. and the banging noises, just about when I would fall off, drove me nuts.. it was that bad. I also think Triumph and 8 hours in the mississippi, might have made the vibration worst..it really was so loud we couldnt hear the tv.

I think its only really bad on the bottom two decks.. up further people always post they dont mind.

My cabin the tv didnt work, it was green. The cabin steward said he usually uses it for storage, so Im sure Carnival knows the cabin has issues... so they dont bother replacing the tv.

We have sailed aft on Liberty (3X) and could feel vibration but it did not bother us at all. We were on a higher deck. The engines have to be somewhere and someone will be sleeping over them:p

We also have felt motion much more in the dining rooms and we laugh during rough seas on how hard it can be to walk...lol. Have a drink or two and it gets so much easier!

We just sailed on Liberty in December and had crazy rough seas for 2 days. Slept like babies with all the motion. On the lido at the Mexican Buffet my DD's chair went sliding across the deck with her in it, that really gave us a good laugh.

I guess it just depends on the person, noise, vibration, creaking and rough seas do not damper our cruise experience at all!

We are booked on the Triumph for a dec. cruise...cabin 6459 on the Upper deck...my TA said its a balcony cabin that is sorta situated around a stairway used by the crew..sort of an L shaped cabin....I was wondering more about stairway noise than vibration...we've stayed in aft OV cabins, and the vibration didnt bother us...TA said it had a larger than normal balcony, so we are hoping it'll be ok. Anyone who has stayed in one of these have any comments??

We are booked on the Triumph for a dec. cruise...cabin 6459 on the Upper deck...my TA said its a balcony cabin that is sorta situated around a stairway used by the crew..sort of an L shaped cabin....I was wondering more about stairway noise than vibration...we've stayed in aft OV cabins, and the vibration didnt bother us...TA said it had a larger than normal balcony, so we are hoping it'll be ok. Anyone who has stayed in one of these have any comments??

We had this cabin on the Destiny. I understand it is very similar. It was wonderful. Yes, the balcony is larger. So much so that you should have a lounger along with a chair. Don't worry, it was a great location and never heard anything from the stairway.

last four cruises we had a Aft bal. Carnival VALOR, DESTINY AND GLORY AND NCL Sky. Wife does not want to sail in any other part of a ship. She just loves the light Vibration at night. The only bad Vibs. we ever had was at docking and departing the dock.

Paul.

Had a 1A on Triumph that really shook.

But you are probably talking about the cabins in the stern. Had 4230 on Miracle and don't recall it vibrating a whole lot (we had a rough day on our 2nd sea day before arriving in Panama). First time on Miracle, was in a side balcony and noticed the side-to-side "ticking" sort of motion a lot more than vibrations in the aft cabin.

Prefer the aft (other than that 1A on Triumph) to cabins in bow, thanks very much! I'm much more apt to be seasick when in a forward cabin than an aft one.

We were on the Legend in 6329 in May, an aft wrap around - I would book this room every time on a Spirit Class ship if I could. Was there some vibration, yes. We found it to be pleasant after getting used to it in a few hours and it lulled us to sleep. We LOVED this room.

Hi Willb, can you tell me a few things about the Libery.

We sailed the Triumph a few years ago and have the same aft balcony cabin, longer balcony. DW and I like good size Shrimp as an appitizer, do you know if they still serve a sizable cocktail shrimp. We were on NCL this past summer and found good shrimp only in the steak house.

What night is formal.

Is the steak house worth the charge ...

We had this cabin on the Destiny. I understand it is very similar. It was wonderful. Yes, the balcony is larger. So much so that you should have a lounger along with a chair. Don't worry, it was a great location and never heard anything from the stairway.

Thanks MOteacher...I was hoping for this kind of reply. This will be our first balcony, and I'm sure we'll have a blast no matter what. And its always good to hear from a fellow Missourian...my school board president wife also has a soft spot for teachers!

Alright, now I am worried.:( My family has two adjoining rooms OV on Riviera deck Aft (I think 1402-1404?) Carnival site is down right now so not completely sure of #'s. It is approx. 6 rooms from last room aft. I tried to be really careful with who was up above (no disco!), and low since 3 out of 5 of us suffer from motion sickness. BUT.............I never thought to check about vibration! I had heard that there was noise when anchor was dropped but that is it!

Someone please reassure me that it really is not that bad!

Archived