Denali Restrooms

dmc1025

I would like to know how often and what kind of restrooms should we expect on the TWT in Denali.

Yep, pretty much outhouses, some were more structure type and less free standing. Eielsen's were inside the visitor center with running water, but TWT doesn't go that far. They were pretty clean, considering the use they get.

We did like the "bearproof" trashcans. Seriously thought they might actually work for our two English Cocker Spaniel trashaholics.

All the facilities have been upgraded to SSTs (sweet-smelling toilets) as of last year. These are pretty much standard in the national parks for backcountry facilities. There is a fairly large room with a metal toilet which has a standard seat on it. There is no running water but toilet paper is plentiful and they have lots of hand sanitizer dispensers. They are kept absolutely clean and don't smell. They're nothing like porti-potties which I think are nasty.

The stops are 90 minutes to 2 hours. Obviously when we are camping or hiking, we have to make our own arrangements which is tricky in areas with no trees.

If you can't manage 90 minutes of bumpy road without a toilet stop, then you need to pass this trip by.

• 1 month later...
All the facilities have been upgraded to SSTs (sweet-smelling toilets) as of last year. These are pretty much standard in the national parks for backcountry facilities. There is a fairly large room with a metal toilet which has a standard seat on it. There is no running water but toilet paper is plentiful and they have lots of hand sanitizer dispensers. They are kept absolutely clean and don't smell. They're nothing like porti-potties which I think are nasty.

This is absurd I know, but outhouses are something that terrify me. I almost fell in one as a child and they just scare the ......... well, you know :0. The smell and the sight of that black hole :eek:, and I'd rather "hold it" than use one. Can't even use a port o potty unless I"m desperate.

So, can someone give me a detailed description of these "sweet smelling" outhouses?? Is it just a hole into the ground? The idea of a "toilet with a real seat sounds a bit more comforting, but that hole <<shudder>>

Am I destined to never make it into the park (or God forbid, wear diapers? LOLOL)

This is absurd I know, but outhouses are something that terrify me. I almost fell in one as a child and they just scare the ......... well, you know :0. The smell and the sight of that black hole :eek:, and I'd rather "hold it" than use one. Can't even use a port o potty unless I"m desperate.

So, can someone give me a detailed description of these "sweet smelling" outhouses?? Is it just a hole into the ground? The idea of a "toilet with a real seat sounds a bit more comforting, but that hole <<shudder>>

Am I destined to never make it into the park (or God forbid, wear diapers? LOLOL)

I thought I could easily be specific when answering this post, and then realized my memory has failed me again! But rest assured they aren't outhouses.

I would like to know how often and what kind of restrooms should we expect on the TWT in Denali.

They are not that bad. No one in my group complained about them last summer. Please don't let restrooms stop you from going on the TWT. Hey you are going to be in the wilderness in Alaska, enjoy it.

I actually had a photo from one of the toilets at Teklanika from 2009 but can't find it now. If you're used to the old wooden outhouses with the hole cut in the playwood to plop your rear end down, they are nothing like that. Much closer to what you'd find in a regular bathroom but with metal toilets instead of ceramic. Just no running water.

It's a metal toilet with a seat and toilet paper nearby, but it is over a hole that leads to a holding tank. They are very clean and it you don't gaze into the abyss you'd think you were in a regular bathroom minus the sink. They used to airplane-type toilets at Tek that you flushed with a foot pump but they got rid of those.

It's a metal toilet with a seat and toilet paper nearby, but it is over a hole that leads to a holding tank. They are very clean and it you don't gaze into the abyss you'd think you were in a regular bathroom minus the sink. They used to airplane-type toilets at Tek that you flushed with a foot pump but they got rid of those.

Thanks! Didn't realize they'd changed. They looked fairly new when we were there.

Am I reading this correctly that the TWT does not go all the way to the Eielson's Visitor Center? I thought that I wanted to change from the National History Tour to the TWT to be on the better tour?

Can't wait to hear!

Am I reading this correctly that the TWT does not go all the way to the Eielson's Visitor Center? I thought that I wanted to change from the National History Tour to the TWT to be on the better tour?

Can't wait to hear!

No, the TWT does not go to Eielson - that's mile 66, I believe. TWT always goes to about mile 53 and often to the the Stony Hill Overlook which is mile 62 or 63. The 2 times I've taken it , it has gone to Stony Hill. Once the mountain was out in all it's glory (the view from Stony Hill is fabulous) - the other time it had been out, but got "shy" by the time we made it there!

Don't do the Natural History - either do the TWT or the shuttle. There are those here who will tell you that the shuttle is the only way to go because it's "cheaper". The TWT is on a somewhat more comfortable bus, with a lunch (some will say it's worse than swill), the TWT has cameras that bring the wildlife up close and the drivers are true guides. The drivers on the shuttles don't have to act as guides, but there are those that say that they always do. Also, the TWT will pick you up at the Lodge. You must get to the park yourself for the shuttle.

Can't wait to hear!

Correct. You are talking about 2 DIFFERENT buses, a tour bus, and a shuttle bus. Here are the details :) http://www.nps.gov/dena

My min. distance in is always Eielson, and Wonder Lake- depending on the date. :)

Archived