South Queensferry?

Aruba

Is South Queensferry (Scotland) a tender port?

Does anyone know if HAL offers shuttle service to/from Edinburgh when in South Queensferry?

Complimentary shuttle service was offered to and from Edinburgh when Prinsendam docked in Leith, but this summer the port stop for Maasdam is South Queensferry. Thanks.

It was a tender port on both my Prinsendam and E-dam cruises, so size of ship makes no difference. One thing I liked was that the tender pier is a ramp, so the tender ties up where it's comfortable to step to/from the tender as the water level changes. When it's low, however, do be careful walking, as it gets slimey.

About those shuttles---last time I was there ('08) there were shuttles; as I recall, it was $10 cash, and US currency was accepted. It went straight down to downtown Edinburgh, and left people off a short walk from the local bus terminal point.

Can you tell me where the shuttle lets you off? I'm trying to decide the best way to get to Edinburgh Castle for a tour.

Thanks!

From where they dropped us off we just walked a little bit down to the corner, turned left and walked over a bridge to the Royal Mile, turned right and walked up the hill to the castle. It wasn't a long walk and the bus driver gave instructions when we were dropped off. We were picked up again at the same spot.

If you are interested in European graveyards, which are quite remarkable, the place where they drop you off is right beside a wall, and if you walk through the gate you are in very old and fascinating graveyard. We spent some time there before walking to the castle.

I just checked on google maps and it is called the Calton Old Burial Ground and the street next to it is called Waterloo Pl. We walked down to North Bridge and across there to the Royal Mile. Easy to follow on the map

We waited a while at the inn across the street and grabbed a taxi into town. Coming back, we rode the train. Had to walk a bit, but we went through a lovely residential neighborhood and it was quite enjoyable. By accident we stumbled upon a house where the owner made old fashioned, brightly decorated horse carts. The property also had underground gun placement bunkers used to defend the Firth during war time. It was quite interesting, but I know that sort of adventure isn't for everyone.

We waited a while at the inn across the street and grabbed a taxi into town. ...

The inn is the Hawes Inn, which is mentioned in Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped", and which also has some very fine ale on tap ... or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

We found it on the same cruise that Sapper1 took, but we booked the Tattoo excursion that day and did not use the ship's shuttle. The train station serving South Queensferry was a ways away from the pier, but walkable if you did not have mobility issues.

Dave

We were on Princess last year and they charged for a shuttle into town. There were five of us and it was much cheaper to take a taxi (20 pounds) to the castle than to take the train or the shuttle. The taxi took us from the pier and deposited us at the castle entrance. We had an hour before the castle opened and there were very few tourist around so we got some great photos of the castle and surrounding areas. We also walked down the Royal Mile and enjoyed the area without all of the crowds. We were at the castle when they opened the doors and had a Historic Scotland Explorer's Pass, so we jumped ahead of the lines. Went to the top of the castle, saw the crown jewels and the prisoner's of war. When we came out of the dungeons, the line for the crown jewels was massive. We left the castle about two hours after we arrived. The line to buy tickets was estimated to be about an hour and a half. Advice - go early, buy your tickets before you arrive and take a taxi (or share one) to the castle entrance!! Have a great time - Edinburgh is a great city!

Archived