Ugliest Ship You've Ever Sailed On

heidik

We were docked in Miami next to the Epic, and as we approached the port in the shuttle, I said to DH, "There is that Godawful ugly ship". Of course the people sitting in front of us were sailing on her :rolleyes:. Then we were moored alongside in San Martin and our balcony looked right across at her--we were there for hours--I had to get up and go sit on the other side of the ship because I got so tired of 1000 people seemingly staring right at me! But when we got off and were in the rental car shuttle, we met some other folks who had just disembarked and commented on how ugly it was, and felt 'cheaply done' inside. I don't think I would ever book on her from aesthetics alone. What were they thinking?

I've sailed it. They use a lot of faux brick to give you an idea of their interior decor. There are some attractive venues like the spa and the Churrascaria but the ship is mainly one ugly mutha.

Since we only cruise Celebrity and you asked about ships we sailed on - I would have to say the outside of Millennium in 2001 with the original paint scheme (dark dark navy hull with a gold stripe and red lettering). When we boarded in Barcelona, we did not feel like it was a Celebrity ship until we got inside. We missed the White and Blue of the 5 previous ships (Zenith, Horizon, Century, Mercury, and Galaxy).

Since we only cruise Celebrity and you asked about ships we sailed on - I would have to say the outside of Millennium in 2001 with the original paint scheme (dark dark navy hull with a gold stripe and red lettering). When we boarded in Barcelona, we did not feel like it was a Celebrity ship until we got inside. We missed the White and Blue of the 5 previous ships (Zenith, Horizon, Century, Mercury, and Galaxy).

You forgot about the Meridian, the very first X ship.

361814945_ChanGalileo03Mer1.jpg.8d5001506df5eaf9858aa7053d4f3afe.jpg

...(dis)honorable mention to Norwegian Sun. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Interesting. We found the Sun to be fairly boring... can't remember anything that stood out enough even to be tacky; it just seemed plain and uninspired.

Can't speak for the interior but NCL Epic wins hands down for the ugliest exterior I've seen - looks like they decided to plant some shipping containers on top to generate additional revenue from hauling freight. Just MHO.

The EPIC. Ugly on the outside. Ugly on the inside only because we felt there was no flow to the ship. The decor and cabins were sleek and modern. But we still had a blast.

Second ugly....Carnival Holiday. I felt like a rainbow vomitted everywhere I looked. GAUDY!! Terrible dining spaces.

Maybe not ugly but most gaudy was the NCL Pearl

Wild, loud and overly bright colour combinations on walls, fabrics and decor and the quality of materials was cheap.

And dont get me started on the food and service......

Yes... and don't forget the "shag covered loungers". :eek:

We thought some of the interiors would have looked right at home in Graceland.

from your signature it looks like you havent even been on an RCL ship, so how could you find it the "ugliest ship you have ever sailed on" :confused:

Oops maybe you should read slower. See the Freedom of the Seas on their twice?

Oops maybe you should read slower. See the Freedom of the Seas on their twice?

Wasnt aware that was a RCL ship. You really think they are that ugly? I havent been on Carnival but looks like most people think they have some pretty bad ships.

Wasnt aware that was a RCL ship. You really think they are that ugly? I havent been on Carnival but looks like most people think they have some pretty bad ships.

They are garish. Not ugly. They are supposed to be garish. Vegas like. You take them for what you will. The color comments always crack me up. What do you care what colo they choose? It's not yours. You are there as a guest for like a week. Just relax.

I think the "mall" is what kills all Freedom class ships. That concept is horrid.

Upon further reflection the Carnivale which I first sailed 1983. Was not orignally a cruise ship it was converted to one. It's ugly but it was cool as well. Very nostalgic. Wish it was still around.

Celebrity Solstice class and Disney ships are awesome

They are garish. Not ugly. They are supposed to be garish. Vegas like. You take them for what you will. The color comments always crack me up. What do you care what colo they choose? It's not yours. You are there as a guest for like a week. Just relax.

I think the "mall" is what kills all Freedom class ships. That concept is horrid.

Upon further reflection the Carnivale which I first sailed 1983. Was not orignally a cruise ship it was converted to one. It's ugly but it was cool as well. Very nostalgic. Wish it was still around.

Celebrity Solstice class and Disney ships are awesome

I havent been on the newer RCL lines yet, but agree the idea of a mall inside the ship just wouldnt be my cup of tea. Why people would pay to hang out in a mall is beyond me. Most people go on vacation to get away from hustle and bustle :shrug:

I still say Epic wins with the ugliest exterior on the high seas. What were they thinking? Throw a few cranes on top to give some visual balance to the shipping containers already up there and instead of being nominated as the ugliest ship, Epic may make it into the Best Looking Cargo Ship/Tanker contest.

I havent been on the newer RCCL lines yet, but agree the idea of a mall inside the ship just wouldnt be my cup of tea. Why people would pay to hang out in a mall is beyond me. Most people go on vacation to get away from hustle and bustle :shrug:

Maybe you like a beer? They have British style pubs (great ales)/shops/entertainment/places to eat in the promanade areas.

I think the suggestion that the promanade is a mall is a tab bit of an over statement. There are shops on every ship I have sail on typically grouped together (a mall???) along with areas to eat and be entertained. RCCL had just put some of these together in an open area of the inside of the ship. It is a quite nice open area vs feeling closed in.

Try one and then let us know if you still think they are a mall as compared to other ships. Maybe other ship's shops are 'strip malls', all in a line.

Back in 1990(?) we took an AK cruise on a now defunct line called Regency -- the ship we saild on was very old (it was reported to be a sister ship of the AndreaDoria). They did the best they could but it was a bit spartan and very awkward layout.

We were on the NCLA America a few years back (when it was about 1 year old) and I was VERY disappointed with the complete lack of art in the public areas. One part of all the other ships I've always enjoyed is the public art -- RCCI and Celebrity seem to have the best.

My favorite ship is RCCI Radiance-of-the-seas followed by Celebrity Solstice.

I think the suggestion that the promanade is a mall is a tab bit of an over statement. There are shops on every ship I have sail on typically grouped together (a mall???) along with areas to eat and be entertained. RCL had just put some of these together in an open area of the inside of the ship. It is a quite nice open area vs feeling closed in.

Well I say if it looks like a mall and functions like a mall then it is a mall and takes up too much space on the ship. What's worse is that in addtion to the shops they set up tables where the passengers need to move, causing a lot of bottlenecks just trying to cross the damn thing. And I agree about not going on a ship to be in a giant enclosed market. I would prefer ocean views the way the Vision Class ships were designed.

Well I say if it looks like a mall and functions like a mall then it is a mall and takes up too much space on the ship. What's worse is that in addtion to the shops they set up tables where the passengers need to move, causing a lot of bottlenecks just trying to cross the damn thing. And I agree about not going on a ship to be in a giant enclosed market. I would prefer ocean views the way the Vision Class ships were designed.

Last time I was on a sailing mall, they had views of the ocean. Not sure I have ever seen a ship store/shop with a window in it. Can you give us an example?

Secondly, I do not think they have any more shops than other ships.

I do agree that at times, they put kiosks in the middle that impedes pedestrian flow. But again, ships without promanades do the same thing. They put out their sale tables that create bottlenecks with their 3 T-shirts for $10 or their $1/inch of gold.

Archived