Inflatable pool on pool deck... is it actually done?

applequeen

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are sailing next week on the Fascination and we're taking our 10 month old. I purchased an inflatable bathtub to bathe my son in and to perhaps let him splash around in on our balcony if there is room.

I keep reading on the family board about people taking the inflatable tub to the pool deck and allowing their babies to splash around in it here.... is this actually OK? It sounds like a great idea but I don't want to break any rules. It's a giant yellow duck so it's not like it won't be noticed. :)

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are sailing next week on the Fascination and we're taking our 10 month old. I purchased an inflatable bathtub to bathe my son in and to perhaps let him splash around in on our balcony if there is room.

I keep reading on the family board about people taking the inflatable tub to the pool deck and allowing their babies to splash around in it here.... is this actually OK? It sounds like a great idea but I don't want to break any rules. It's a giant yellow duck so it's not like it won't be noticed. :)

Thanks!

Saw it done on the Splendor last year. Even saw a deck hand assist with filling it.

You might venture over to the Family Cruises board and ask if others have done this and how they managed.

I would suspect that on a balcony with water in it the BYD'll be less moveable by wind than on the Lido Deck. Just that inflating/defating and filling/dumping water could be a bit of a quack. You can't just toss the water overboard.

We have used the blow up pools alot over the years.

We used it last year on the Carnival Legend for our 2 year old

It was actually a life saver....

My daughter saw people swimming and wanted to swim

If we did not have the blow up pool it would have led to hours of screaming

Fill up the pool using the showers - it is fresh water.

then when done use the drain...

bring a few pool toys etc. and your all set

just dont buy a pool that is extremely large and takes forever to blow up

Tom

Never seen it, but I imagine it would be a hazzard on the open decks.

And what does one do with the contaminated water?

I still don't think the kids like water one way or the other. Why can't they just play dry? And why prison yourself to the cabin just for a pool on the balcony?

Thanks everyone.... for both the pros and the cons.... they're the very same issues (both sides) that I've been considering in my mind.

On the family board there seems to be a common "yes... do it" theme but I wanted to see how others really felt about it.

We'll have the duck with us for baths...if it works out on the balcony then great...if the weather is nice enough to go to the pool and it seems as though there is a good spot to place it (it's very narrow so I imagine it could be placed between two lounge chairs) then we'll use it. At this age he'd probably just try to climb out of it anyway! :)

I've seen them on every cruise. Usually the little duck inflatable is between two lounge chairs out of the way and not near the regular pool. Mom dad and baby all seemed happy with the little cutie splashing between them. :D

It would be much easier to empty on the pool deck than on your balcony...there are floor drains there. On your balcony, how do you empty it? An inflatable pool will be impossible to lift and carry to the shower (thru the cabin) without spilling. You cannot just pour it out...it will fall on the folks below you!

Instead of taking the little pool to the lido deck by the adult pool, just go to the kiddie pool and you can set it up there. No one to bother and he might enjoy watching all the other little ones. Also I believe all balconies have a drain.

It would be much easier to empty on the pool deck than on your balcony...there are floor drains there. On your balcony, how do you empty it? An inflatable pool will be impossible to lift and carry to the shower (thru the cabin) without spilling. You cannot just pour it out...it will fall on the folks below you!

There are edge drains on the balconies under the rails.

We were also thinking about bringing the small inflatable tub/pool, but ended up not doing so.

It seems like the topic receives its share of mixed reactions (from "Absolutely! Prefectly appropriate" to "Only appropriate if you're The Clampetts"):rolleyes:

Did we miss not having one? Somewhat. Because it was chilly, we would've ended up not using it outdoors anyway, but we missed it for bath time. Its a bit tricky trying to give your little one a bath in the cabin shower. My wife would hold our son under the shower while I bathed him. As far as he was concerned, acid was coming out of the shower head! He was not a happy camper! :o

I thought I'd just use a cup or something to empty it a little bit at a time if it's on the balcony...same thing on deck but down the drain.

I agree the kids area would be best for this sort of thing.

So far the forecast is for low 70s (and some rain)... so it may be a non-issue...we may all be splashing around in the thing from the safety and warmth of our cabin! :D

We were also thinking about bringing the small inflatable tub/pool, but ended up not doing so.

It seems like the topic receives its share of mixed reactions (from "Absolutely! Prefectly appropriate" to "Only appropriate if you're The Clampetts"):rolleyes:

Did we miss not having one? Somewhat. Because it was chilly, we would've ended up not using it outdoors anyway, but we missed it for bath time. Its a bit tricky trying to give your little one a bath in the cabin shower. My wife would hold our son under the shower while I bathed him. As far as he was concerned, acid was coming out of the shower head! He was not a happy camper! :o

Tapi... you are exactly right. I really don't want to impose or make things difficult for other passengers by using one on deck but at the same time I want my family (all of us) to enjoy ourselves. I think we may be in the same inflatable duck tub as you when it comes to the weather though. :).

We originally bought it for baths and I know we'll use it for that purpose if for none other...if it works out to use it as a splash pool then that's great too. I'm not going to sweat it...it's a vacation after all :)

I really appreciate the advice you've given me...it seems that we are similar in our expectations of vacationing with a baby. The grandparents have offered to keep our son (we'd have to eat the cost of his fare at this point) but in the end we decided he should go with us. My husband and I get a lot of "date night" time together thanks to his parents but we really don't get much family downtime at all.... that's what we're most looking forward to on this trip.... I know we'll enjoy ourselves...duck tub or not. :)

Imagine how long that would take. Seems like a waste of good vacation time.

I see your point but it's not really that large...it's meant to be a baby bathtub so I don't think it would have a great deal of water in it.

If the babies are allowed in the splash area (is there one? are they allowed?) we'll probably forgo the duck and play there weather permitting.

Sorry, Tapi, but this made me laugh! Not that he was screaming....just your description of it! Thanks for the laugh!

Archived