Money in Mexico

KathyF.

We were able to use UDS at all places, including the off the beaten path types of places. While in Puerto Vallarta we ran into being the first to use UDS at several place and they didn't have any UDS change, and had to give us Pesos as change. We were able use the Pesos as tips later so it wasn't a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Tourist areas will accept US dollars. Get ready for people coming in here shouting "THERE'S A NEW LAW! THEY CAN'T DO THAT! THAT'S ILLEGAL!" but don't worry, they will accept your dollars. ;)

I'd heard about that. People shopping in Mexico will have to pay in pesos for purchases worth more than 100 dollars or something like that. That should be interesting to see if it's enforced at the all the Flea Market shops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. :rolleyes:

We recently returned from the Mariner and were quoted taxi rates in US dollars. Also couldn't find a peso ATM in Cabo. Saw many US dollar ones. And yes, I was firmly told about the new laws and what was expected of me by someone on the boards. Can you say "chicken little"? US money is fine!

They were happy to take USD last week just as I had suspected. Everywhere you went things were priced in USD. I did see a sign in one jewelry store that said due to the new law they could not accept USD if the purchase was over $250. We didn't make any purchases that large and wouldn't have paid cash even if we did.

As always, they were more than happy to take US currency and had some that wanted to buy all of the $2 bills we brought. I was concerned we would have a hard time using $2 bills, but everyone in Roatan, Belize & Cozumel loved them and asked for more last week!

We recently returned from the Mariner and were quoted taxi rates in US dollars. Also couldn't find a peso ATM in Cabo. Saw many US dollar ones. And yes, I was firmly told about the new laws and what was expected of me by someone on the boards. Can you say "chicken little"? US money is fine!

Don't worry... they will be along shortly!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Although some around here will tell you differently, yes even the Mexican government used some common sense in the application of the new law especially in tourist areas.

Took USD and pecos recently. Stores farther away from downtown had prices listed in pecos. Found stores would take either and change was given in USD. Found out that each store had signs posted on exchange rate and they all deffered. Stores at the pier had higher exchange rate.

Archived