Wj offerings vs MDR...not same right?

pandi77

I have been reading the numerous threads regarding the offerings in the MDR vs the WJ and see the benefits of bothe venues but am still wondering what one might miss out on going to the WJ.

We are foodies and have historically gone to the MDR because it seems there are many item not available in the WJ that are on the MDR menu nightly. I understand that Lobster and filets won't be heaped up waiting for those in the buffet line but what about the other popular MDR items? I have read how wonderful the vidalia onion tart is and the chilled fruit soups...I don't recall seeing those in the WJ in the past but of course my history with RCCL is limited to short itnieraries.

Can anyone be specific on the offerings one would miss out on in the WJ vs the MDR? I saved the menus from the MDR someone posted and I see so many delicious looking soups, salads, and appetizers and would consider the convenience of the WJ if they had them too...again noting they probably won't have lobster/filet..etc.

Thanks!

I don't go to the WJ unless I have too. I enjoy the service and dinner talk in the MDR. I am not a fan of buffets and the WJ reminds me of one.

I have gotten to know some great folks in the MDR, but I have read some horror stories here on the boards that tell me we have been lucky.

I have been reading the numerous threads regarding the offerings in the MDR vs the WJ and see the benefits of bothe venues but am still wondering what one might miss out on going to the WJ.

We are foodies and have historically gone to the MDR because it seems there are many item not available in the WJ that are on the MDR menu nightly. I understand that Lobster and filets won't be heaped up waiting for those in the buffet line but what about the other popular MDR items? I have read how wonderful the vidalia onion tart is and the chilled fruit soups...I don't recall seeing those in the WJ in the past but of course my history with RCCL is limited to short itnieraries.

Can anyone be specific on the offerings one would miss out on in the WJ vs the MDR? I saved the menus from the MDR someone posted and I see so many delicious looking soups, salads, and appetizers and would consider the convenience of the WJ if they had them too...again noting they probably won't have lobster/filet..etc.

Thanks!

I always see the chilled soup in the WJ, just to respond to one of your points. :)

I don't go to the WJ unless I have too. I enjoy the service and dinner talk in the MDR. I am not a fan of buffets and the WJ reminds me of one.

I have gotten to know some great folks in the MDR, but I have read some horror stories here on the boards that tell me we have been lucky.

um...it IS a buffet. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You can actually find a number of made to order items like stir-fry and pasta on most ships. Some have made to order steaks and pizzas.

I have seen some posts recently about lobster tails but haven't seen them myself.

I had never seen lobster tails in the WJ until January 2, 2011 on the Navigator.

But there they were, in a big pile!!!!

:)

Quick answer. On Sail Away Eve the same food was served in WJ as MDR.

Prime Rib etc...even the soup topped with truffles was available in WJ.

---Always fun to give an opposite view. So, I have one here.---

The rest of the story. Last week was my first RCI (Navigator) cruise

and I was assigned Table 326 at 6:00PM seating. This was a solo cruise

because wife's schedule was busy.

I showed up at 6PM; nobody was at my table. Pitched a fit. Didn't want

to wait and got served alone. Later, a pleasant couple arrives as I am

finishing up.

Not surprising, I hated the MDR. I went to customer service and changed

to AnyTime or whatever they call it. Never went back to MDR.

Further, the MDR food was warm, reminded me of a catered wedding

where they truck in pre-cooked food. The vegetables were over cooked.

IMHO, the MDR is highly over-rated. Not sure about lobster

tails you mention.

So, I immediately walked to WJ for dessert and discovered that they were

serving the exact meal I had in MDR.

The upshot. I ate the next three nights in Portofino and Chops where

each order is prepared fresh and is served hot off the grill. Worth the

extra money for individual chef-prepared upscale meals. Friendlier

servers there. Nice ocean and sunset view.

The last night of the cruise I was first in line at 6:30 for WJ...which

is the best/only way to do the buffet...it is as if it was prepared

just for you....and you can pick the best table in the room!

Many people enjoy MDR for the socializing. Fine, but if you

want to eat quicker (same food) just be first in line at WJ.

If you are picky...go to Chops or Portofino for the best food

and service, period.

As I said above, always fun to give a different point of view!

Bon Voyage in any case.

:cool:

The watermelon gaspacho soup in the MDR as an appetizer on day 2 was superb. (I actually bought the cookbook 4 years ago for this one recipe). We ate in the MDR for 6 nights. We reviewed the menu on the TV in our cabin each day for the MDR. On the one night that nothing appealed to either of us in the MDR, we went to the Windjammer. The lasagna in the Windjammer that night was to die for! So much meat to pasta and cheese ratio I have never seen! The eggplant parmasean was excellent!

At lunch, on some days the WJ had Thai recipes that were perfect. The MDR at lunch in quiet and sophisticated. The Tuttie salad, made to order in the MDR, is great. So...take your pick for lunch.

Archived