Getting luggage tags at the pier - is it that bad?

dwdwnurse

I haven't cruised since they started charging for luggage tags. My question is, is it really worth paying $$ for luggage tags before the cruise or simply dropping your bags off at the pier and filling out luggage tags there (I would need 2)?

Thanks for any information!

I haven't cruised since they started charging for luggage tags. My question is, is it really worth paying $$ for luggage tags before the cruise or simply dropping your bags off at the pier and filling out luggage tags there (I would need 2)?

Charging for luggage tags. Where did you ever get that idea?

Go to your online docs and see if there is a button there to order them sent to you. If not, now, there will be about 6 weeks before your cruise.

I'm not sure what you're talking about... :confused:

RCCL luggage tags are FREE whether you get them mailed to you, or get them at the pier.

We've done both ways (recently) and both ways are fine. It only takes a few extra minutes at the pier. The porter will usually fill them out for you (just double check they wrote the write number).

We tip the porter regardless of whether we already had luggage tags or had him fill them out at the pier. I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to as a charge for luggage tags. If that's what you mean...it's a tip not a charge for luggage tags.

They charge for luggage tags?:confused: I didn't have to pay to have them mailed to me for the cruise we were on last week...

Where did you hear that?

Thanks! I could swear I read this on CC!! I printed our Set Sail passes last week and didn't see any option to request luggage tags. Do you know where I find this?

Thanks for the info!

Thanks! I could swear I read this on CC!! I printed our Set Sail passes last week and didn't see any option to request luggage tags. Do you know where I find this?

Thanks for the info!

Let's hope this thread doesn't give RC any ideas! :rolleyes:

As I recall, the option to request luggage tags was right at the end of entering all of the Set Sail info.

Thanks for the info! I am sure I read somewhere on the Boards that they were charging $30 or $35 for luggage tags! For that price, I don't think so!!

Thanks again :)

They now charge to mail your cruise documents to you, but you can still request that luggage tags be sent for free. As for the cruise docs, you can get them online, but you really don't need them; all you need is your Set Sail Pass.

I believe you just misread some information. They charge $35 now if you get the printed booklet type documents.....not for luggage tags. They will mail your luggage tags to you, but you have to request them. We've gotten luggage tags at the dock several times and it was not a big deal.

Thanks 3Cats - I am looking at our reservation and don't see anything about luggage tags. I'll keep looking!

RC - You do NOT see this post, lol!

Hi! Go to https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/boardingDocuments.do;jsessionid=0000bBpGuUVTA7UV86pIHB5W5GS:12hdhu93n?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=3 and log in to your reservation. This will bring you to the Online Check In page. If you scroll down past the guest names you will see a button which says "Request luggage tags". Click on it and it will take you to the request page.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks everyone - CC members are just the best :)!

I can't wait to receive my luggage tags! I must admit that I used to love getting that large, white envelope with the cruise booklet and tags in it. That was one of the few times that I was happy to get the mail!!!

I always take address labels with me. When I get to the port it takes no time to stick those labels on the bag tags. Then all you have to do is write cabin number and cell phone and that is it. Saves time and the address area on the bag tags is kind of small. Time saver and who wants to stand there writing down your address on a bunch of bag tags.

Do not let this stress you out!!! Getting tags at the pier is simple. We have done this for the past 4 cruises. No big deal.!!!

One warning. The porters are very busy and move very fast. Time is money.

The porter has blank tags, and he writes your cabin # on them.

I don't know if I was unclear, or he was hard of hearing, or not taking the time to listen, but he wrote the wrong cabin # on the tags.

I corrected him, which means he had to pull out new blank tags to write the correct cabin #.

Now it is taking longer than he wished, breaking his very fast routine, and things started to unravel from there. I could see he was getting frustrated,

I did however try to make light of it and did give him a good tip.

We were starting our vacation after all.:)

That is probably the exception, but ever since then I always have my luggage tagged before I get there.

Thanks DivingPrincessE! Maybe I dreamed this!! It really didn't surprise me if RC was charging for the pre-printed tags, lol.

We definitely always tip the porters - we want to see our luggage again ;)!

Just an FYI.

The porters (Long shore man) are UNION workers that make over 50K a year and more. Tipping is not required. If they actually mention it, they are wrong! You may report it to the steward and they can lose their job.

. . . It only takes a few extra minutes at the pier. . . .

Seconds actually -- unless there is a big mistake and that is the exception. We have done it both ways. At the pier on one occasion, we got tags from a porter and filled them out ourselves -- less than a minute, no problem. Difference in hassle between going through the trouble to order them online and then tagging bags at home vs. getting them at the pier and filling them out and tagging them there is really negligible in my experience. Do what works for you -- be happy.

I always take address labels with me. When I get to the port it takes no time to stick those labels on the bag tags. Then all you have to do is write cabin number and cell phone and that is it. Saves time and the address area on the bag tags is kind of small. Time saver and who wants to stand there writing down your address on a bunch of bag tags.

I do this for the disembarkation tags..... Fast and easy!

Thanks for all of the great ideas! Wow! I didn't know the porters were Union and made that much!!

I do hope I will receive my tags in the mail, but just in case I will print out my labels before :).

Thanks again!!! Happy Friday Eve!!!

I was told that you can't order your luggage tags until you get the e-mail that your e-docs (the stuff they used to mail out) are ready. Once the e-docs are ready then the thing will pop up on your reservation to order the tags.

Archived