Weather in Med in June?

geepmaley

Anyone have info on what the weather will be like on an Eastern med cruise in June? We are looking at various options on various lines, but Id like to understand if the Med gets choppy that time of year in order to gauge cabin location, ports, etc.

Current list of possibles:

Celebrity Equinox June 3 - 11 days - Rome to Greek Isles and Istabul back to Rome

Star Princess - June 11 - 12 days - Venice down Adriatic to Greek isles to Rome

HAL Noordam - June 6 - 10 days - Rome to Greek isles and back

I don't think the Med gets very rough unless there is storm activity going on. 20 days in Aug and Sept last year the only wave we saw was caused by the bow of the ship. Even on portions of two pretty windy days, it was barely noticable.

Temps generally should be in the 80s-90s. It is the humidity that might bite you. On our trip, the humidity only dropped into the 60 percents one day. June may be a little milder.

Personally I would take the longest cruise possible. There is just so much to see.

You can pose this question in the European ports of calls.

The Med is a large enough body of water that when the wind blows you can get enough of waves to effect even the biggest ships but it won't be like winter in the Caribbean or storms you get in Alaska early and late in the season.

On your summer trip a few years ago we got 60knot winds and the ship was tilted easily 15-20 degrees, enough of an issue we skipped a port, so YMMV.

Pick the cruies because of the ports and schedule. I agree with the other poster take the longest cruise you can as the cost of airfare and jetlag will be the same regardless how long you go.

Good luck!

Anyone have info on what the weather will be like on an Eastern med cruise in June? We are looking at various options on various lines, but Id like to understand if the Med gets choppy that time of year in order to gauge cabin location, ports, etc.

Current list of possibles:

Celebrity Equinox June 3 - 11 days - Rome to Greek Isles and Istabul back to Rome

Star Princess - June 11 - 12 days - Venice down Adriatic to Greek isles to Rome

HAL Noordam - June 6 - 10 days - Rome to Greek isles and back

Weather in the Med in June is usually close to perfect. Rough seas are rare, but of course anything can happen if there would be a storm. To be honest, after about forty years of cruising we tell folks that worry about sea conditions to stay on land. There are never guarantees about sea conditions. You can have relatively calm seas but have long swells that make even the largest ships move. A friend once told us they always worried about traveling because they had a "delicate stomach and only seemed to avoid problems when they were home" They asked for our advice (since we travel more then 6months a year and we suggested they just stay home forever!

Hank

All, Thanks for the input. The main reason I am asking is we have aft cabins on the Star (A742 and A744) on hold and my oldest made a complaint about motion one day on a previous cruise when they had to speed things up to make it to port after a medical emergency caused a delay. Rare occurrence, but happens.

If weather was rough, we'd skip the aft and stay in the middle, but maybe the aft will be OK.

Have sailed Greece, Italy, Turkey in May and it was VERY smooth. There are so many islands around. It was probably one of the smoothest cruises I have been on. Now......I also cruised Ireland/Scotland in May and the seas were somewhat smooth. We had one night of very rough waters in the North Sea, but other than that it was great.

Archived