Best time for the internet???

royal65

Has anyone experienced faster internet response times at any particular time of day. Last August on HAL's Westerdam, I had noticeably faster response times early in the morning. Bust last Feb. on the Diamond, it didn't seem to make a difference -- they were always slow. With fewer users early a.m., I would have thought it would have been faster. We'll be on the Star in a week. thanx

I've never really noticed a difference except for when there are more users logged on to the system.

I try and hit the Internet Cafe during first seating dining. There seems to be fewer people in there at that time. Also, late at night works well.

Has anyone experienced faster internet response times at any particular time of day. Last August on HAL's Westerdam, I had noticeably faster response times early in the morning. Bust last Feb. on the Diamond, it didn't seem to make a difference -- they were always slow. With fewer users early a.m., I would have thought it would have been faster. We'll be on the Star in a week. thanx

I usually find the best times to be at 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. It does though depend on the ship and the location where you log on. I hardly ever use the internet cafe except when I need to print something.

Early in the morning is the best time; early evening is not as good but better than other times during the day since most passengers are preparing for or having cocktails or dinner. Also, be aware that the crew uses the Internet, too, so late at night can sometimes be as slow as during the day. The day before disembarkation, it's almost impossible from early morning through late evening as people are checking in for flights and printing boarding passes.

Also, be aware that the crew uses the Internet, too, so late at night can sometimes be as slow as during the day. The day before disembarkation, it's almost impossible from early morning through late evening as people are checking in for flights and printing boarding passes.

I was told, when I asked, that there is only one internet connection for the whole ship. It has to be parceled out as necessary...not only does the crew use the internet from their terminals but the various business offices use it as well.

I was told that they try to limit their business to the wee hours of the AM, but obviously the ship's business would have priority over all other uses at whatever time it is needed.

I was told, when I asked, that there is only one internet connection for the whole ship. It has to be parceled out as necessary...not only does the crew use the internet from their terminals but the various business offices use it as well.

I was told that they try to limit their business to the wee hours of the AM, but obviously the ship's business would have priority over all other uses at whatever time it is needed.

Yes, there is one satellite connection for the entire ship. It is shared by all on the ship. The more people on-line, the slower the service. We were on the Diamond for almost 2 months last winter. We got great (and fairly fast) service in the early morning. We have a netbook and got a great signal in our stateroom. Fortunately, we are early risers and did most of our internet work between 6:00 and 7:00 AM. It got slower after that. Daytime hours were impossible. Late evening (after 9:00) was sometimes OK, sometimes not. The “free” package for Platinum provided ample minutes to pay bills, do email, etc.

Yes, there is one satellite connection for the entire ship. It is shared by all on the ship. The more people on-line, the slower the service. We were on the Diamond for almost 2 months last winter. We got great (and fairly fast) service in the early morning. We have a netbook and got a great signal in our stateroom. Fortunately, we are early risers and did most of our internet work between 6:00 and 7:00 AM. It got slower after that. Daytime hours were impossible. Late evening (after 9:00) was sometimes OK, sometimes not. The “free” package for Platinum provided ample minutes to pay bills, do email, etc.

Hi Bonnie and Wayne:

I note from your sig line that you're on the Diamond with us in 2012, though we are embarking in Singapore.

Hi Bonnie and Wayne:

I note from your sig line that you're on the Diamond with us in 2012, though we are embarking in Singapore.

Hi Pia

Yup - we did Singapore to Beijing last year (2010). In 2012 we are doing the Yangtze River cruise/tour prior to the Beijing to Vancouver segment. We are looking forward to meeting you and the other CCers. If you are interested, I posted our reactions/observations to several of the ports you will be visiting on the roll call thread.

What is the problem for not increasing the bandwidth or speeding up the internet? Is it cost prohibitive? A computer dummy (me) would like to know.

Rocking ship, fixed satellite, cost assessment. All factor into such a decision.

The ships connection may have the same bandwidth that your really fast broadband at home has, but you have to divide it between all of the users mentioned in this thread. That and the motion factor combine to slow things down.

morning service or after 11pm seemed to be the fastest on the Star from 12/20-1/9. If it took a long time to load up the sign in page- I didnt bother. Found out quickly that that was a reasonable indicator for me of slow service. I didn't even use up all of my platinum internet minutes. Typed emails offline and then sent as clusters once online & downloaded new mail.

We have found that the internet connction has been faster when the ship is in port. Maybe that is because there are fewer people using the computers or maybe it is because the ship is not moving. Whatever the reason, we have always been able to get more done on port days.

I was completely frustrated on our recent cruise on the Golden. It was virtually impossible to log on. We had some things happening at home that needed monitoring and we were rarely able to log on when we needed to. This was the worst internet service we've experienced with three lines! Perhaps I'm wrong but I think they oversold the packages. This was a real irritation factor for me. One day I just kept plugging away, trying to get online. It finally happened at 4:30 a.m. Not nearly good enough in my estimation.:mad:

The ship doesn't really have any control over internet access if they are far from port or bad weather.

That said, we take our laptop with us and have had great results getting service from the room. Don't have to hassle the internet cafe; can check email anytime - just be sure you sign out correctly so your minutes don't fly away...:o

Love still being able to contact home is so easy these days. We were able to use Skype for awhile on our World Cruise, but the ship finally blocked it for all since it makes internet so slow.

Anytime during dinner service is a great time to try - as others have said. Especially formal night...

Archived