We need longer cruises please

I agree with the OP. While it certainly has not been a regular thing for them, they have done it with a new ship over in the med. I think they could dedicate a ship (easily) to doing longer cruises from Florida (for a season) and see how it works. I find it hard to believe it would not be successful. Maybe the positioning of the Spirit in Australia is an opening for the future in this regards.

While their marketing focus has been in two specific areas (new cruisers and positioning ships so that many people can drive to cruise) adding a third makes total sense (be it exotic or greater number of days).

I am single I have cruised on eight day cruises and that was ok but I've herd that on longer cruises then the guests get older.They have the time and the money so eight day would be the longest I would cruise unless I had a women.

Gary.

Same here although we leave from San Diego on the Spirit, April 2012 (15 day).

We're on the Spirit also. We've been booked since July 2010 and the price was too good to pass up. The 3 hr stop in Ensanada seems wasteful but since it satisfies the Jones Act, I'm game.

We're on the Spirit also. We've been booked since July 2010 and the price was too good to pass up. The 3 hr stop in Ensanada seems wasteful but since it satisfies the Jones Act, I'm game.

Here you! We booked September, 2010 at a great price. Ship is about a sell out and the prices have gone up substantially. Ensanada is at night...no big loss there.

Question; what is so offensive about old people? I cruise 2-3 times a year on 7 day or longer and always found fun people to buddy up with. Many from these boards. With old folks you have the ship to yourself after 9 pm, the pool is never crowded, (not tru for the hot tubs) and they don't crowd the disco. Just stay away from bingo, trivia, and early buffets and you'll hardly see them.

Question; what is so offensive about old people? I cruise 2-3 times a year on 7 day or longer and always found fun people to buddy up with. Many from these boards. With old folks you have the ship to yourself after 9 pm, the pool is never crowded, (not tru for the hot tubs) and they don't crowd the disco. Just stay away from bingo, trivia, and early buffets and you'll hardly see them.

Old people aren't offensive....having a lack of age diversity on any cruise, with people of any age is just not as good as when you have a great mix of ages.

Offensive> ?

Don't think I saw that written.

But picture a boat filled with Sophia Petrillo's, lined up at the MDR door with their pocket books, and then at the shows afterward, sleeping, comedian bombing cause there's very few listening, and then an empty ship by 11.

Offensive> ?

Don't think I saw that written.

But picture a boat filled with Sophia Petrillo's, lined up at the MDR door with their pocket books, and then at the shows afterward, sleeping, comedian bombing cause there's very few listening, and then an empty ship by 11.

I've never been on a cruise that was without age diversity.

If they would have them people would stay with CC

Goes to show how stupid they are...There are many of us that sail other lines to get those 10' date=' 12 and 14 day cruises .[/quote']

helloooo! Carnival is a single brand in the stable of CCL . CCl has lots of brands so

they can offer everthing to everybody in one or another of their cruiselines.

They obviously feel that Carnival is not the brand that makes sense to offer long cruises on as

it's an entry level line.

I am always amazed how "stupid" CCL is and how "smart" some people are. Congrats to you.

We need longer cruises please 10 12 14 days besides B2B

I agree. We are doing the Carnival Magic 9 Day sailing on the Med in September and truly looking forward to it. We were originally going to do the NCL cruise, but it didn't stop in France at all or Monaco...so we decided to pay a bit more to do Carnival again.

I would like to see Carnival do Bonaire, Grenada and some seasonal S. America Cruises (Rio, Sao Palo, etc.). I would also like to see Carnival change up a few of the cabins. The boring orange has been around forever. I love the new wave design on the NCL ships, something different and a nice look.

If carnival did offer longer sailings, I'd book it, 10, 12 and 14 day sailings. TA's don't really count, not many good ports.

helloooo! Carnival is a single brand in the stable of CCL . CCl has lots of brands so

they can offer everthing to everybody in one or another of their cruiselines.

They obviously feel that Carnival is not the brand that makes sense to offer long cruises on as

it's an entry level line.

I am always amazed how "stupid" CCL is and how "smart" some people are. Congrats to you.

It just doesn't make much sense for CCL to have its lines DIRECTLY competing with each other. To some extent Carnival, Princess, and HAL are offering similar products. But there is enough differentiating them now. When it's must my wife and I taking a cruise, we prefer Princess. If the kids are with us, we are more likely to go with Carnival or RCI. It's obvious that they know what they are doing. While we are really looking forward to the 9-day Med cruise with our family on the Magic this summer, I can't wait to book the Princess 12-day British Isles cruise for the summer of 2012.

It just doesn't make much sense for CCL to have its lines DIRECTLY competing with each other. To some extent Carnival, Princess, and HAL are offering similar products.

Not sure if I agree totally with that. If you take HAL for example, HAL offers 2, 7, 9, 10 and 24+ night sailings. Same thing with Princess. I am not sure how one would say CCL would be competing with themselves if they offered longer cruises. It is very obvious that most people won't pay the additional money it costs to cruise a Princess or HAL so, they would prefer a Carnival itinerary and price point over the others. I agree that Carnival is considered an "entry level" cruise line, but in order for it to compete with the RCCL's that have exotic destinations (Dubai, Greek Isles, Scandanavia, S. America, etc...) they would have to start offering something different. While CCL is looked at as the "fun ships" it's okay to be fun and innovate at the same time. Hence the "Oasis Class" of ships on RCCL, too big for me, but it's the talk of the town.

The Med cruises are more expensive, although I am sending my DS and future DIL on NCL for a little under $1000/person for a 10 day out of Rome doing Greece, Egypt and Turkey, so there are some deals.

The repositioning cruises are usually well priced because there are a lot of people who cannot take 14 or more days out of their lives. I did a TA on RCCL last year in a balcony for $899 for 14 days. I'm hoping the repositioning to Australia may be well priced.

Then all you have to pay for is an airline ticket back from Australia. $825 for Super Saver, which is non- anything to $5,304 for economy. One way.

I agree, longer would be better. Offered from US ports.

Not sure if I agree totally with that. If you take HAL for example, HAL offers 2, 7, 9, 10 and 24+ night sailings. Same thing with Princess. I am not sure how one would say CCL would be competing with themselves if they offered longer cruises. It is very obvious that most people won't pay the additional money it costs to cruise a Princess or HAL so, they would prefer a Carnival itinerary and price point over the others. I agree that Carnival is considered an "entry level" cruise line, but in order for it to compete with the RCCL's that have exotic destinations (Dubai, Greek Isles, Scandanavia, S. America, etc...) they would have to start offering something different. While CCL is looked at as the "fun ships" it's okay to be fun and innovate at the same time. Hence the "Oasis Class" of ships on RCCL, too big for me, but it's the talk of the town.

Not quite what I meant. What I meant was that it might not make sense for CCL to go after a different demographic group which is already being served by one of its other lines. I am prepared to pay $6K for two for a 12-day British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess. If Carnival offered the same cruise for $1500 less, would I take it? Sure. Would Carnival put a Carnival ship out there to directly compete with Princess? Doubt it. It would drive corporate profits down as Princess might feel the heat on fee pressure. Right now, they have that market all to themselves.

Not quite what I meant. What I meant was that it might not make sense for CCL to go after a different demographic group which is already being served by one of its other lines. I am prepared to pay $6K for two for a 12-day British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess. If Carnival offered the same cruise for $1500 less, would I take it? Sure. Would Carnival put a Carnival ship out there to directly compete with Princess? Doubt it. It would drive corporate profits down as Princess might feel the heat on fee pressure. Right now, they have that market all to themselves.

Thanks. Got it. The word "Demographic" gives it a complete spin.

I guess I partly agree with your logic. Would it be cheaper....yes. Would it compete with their other lines...sort of, but no more than they do in the Caribbean. I guess the other side of the coin is some people would sail Carnival (for price, comfort with the brand, loyalty etc.) that would no go otherwise. I would be shocked if another CCL brand ship would hurt the company profits overall.

Thanks. Got it. The word "Demographic" gives it a complete spin.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I do think that older people are more likely to go to Europe, Asia, and Scandinavia. Because they're older, they may be a bit more advanced in their career and have more disposable income and possibly more free time needed to take the longer cruises. CCL may be happy to have that market and the cruises they demand to be covered by Princess, HAL, and the luxury line they own (forget the name).

I do think it's great what CCL is doing with the Magic in Europe. I couldn't take my family to the Med without the affordability that CCL offers. You just can't get four people in a balcony room on Princess with any comfort. You would have to book a mini-suite for four. It would have cost me double for the cruise fare.

Goes to show how stupid they are...

Watching their stock performance and load factors, I don't think they're stupid. For one thing, they average more money per passenger per day on shorter cruises. For another, they tend to move people up the chain to their more upmarket lines for long cruises. It seems like a successful business strategy overall.

Archived